A 2-way QSO with ISS via Multipsk ? #Beginner

Andrew O'Brien

I'm new at communicating via 1200 baud packet and the International Space Station.  As you can see by the attached screenshot, Multipsk works well for capturing the packet data. For those amateur operators using the software, how do you transmit on the uplink ?  I am assuming astronauts are not sitting in their spacecraft typing replies , so if I transmit what should I be looking for to indicate I was heard?  Another ham responding or just seeing my own text repeated back via the downlink ?

Andy K3UK

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Andy,

I don’t know either, but I suppose that it is in Unproto (so not ARQ), as APRS.

Click on “Unproto”, prepare your message and when it is ready and the frequency free, send it either clicking on “Send” or typing the “Esc” key.

I'm new at communicating via 1200 baud packet and the International Space Station.  As you can see by the attached screenshot, Multipsk works well for capturing the packet data. For those amateur operators using the software, how do you transmit on the uplink ?  I am assuming astronauts are not sitting in their spacecraft typing replies , so if I transmit what should I be looking for to indicate I was heard?  Another ham responding or just seeing my own text repeated back via the downlink ?

Andy K3UK

Andrew O'Brien

I'll give it a try Patrick.  Merci et 73
Andy

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:44 PM Patrick Lindecker <f6cte@...> wrote:

Hello Andy,

I don’t know either, but I suppose that it is in Unproto (so not ARQ), as APRS.

Click on “Unproto”, prepare your message and when it is ready and the frequency free, send it either clicking on “Send” or typing the “Esc” key.

I'm new at communicating via 1200 baud packet and the International Space Station.  As you can see by the attached screenshot, Multipsk works well for capturing the packet data. For those amateur operators using the software, how do you transmit on the uplink ?  I am assuming astronauts are not sitting in their spacecraft typing replies , so if I transmit what should I be looking for to indicate I was heard?  Another ham responding or just seeing my own text repeated back via the downlink ?

Andy K3UK

--
Andy

Andrew OBrien

Very useful article, thanks.
I had no success last night despite a high pass and good reception of others.  I will read the article and try again.

Andy K3UK

Eric F1SMV

hi Andy and the group,

i think its because iss has switch on repeater voice..somebody can confirm ?

73 Eric

mike agner

According to this page, the V/U cross band is active, and the radio won't go back to packet until late Jan or early Feb.

https://www.ariss.org/current-status-of-iss-stations.html

Note that the article in this thread points out that the astronauts really don't use the packet system for chatting.

Mike