problems linking multiPSK through a virtual serial port to google earth. #Beginner

minecratfd8@...

i got APRS decoding set up in multipsk with a virtual audio cable from sdr#, and when i select google earth in the APRS menu it opens google earth (its called google earth pro now) and shows waypoints of the stations and paths of the mobile stations, and this works great, but i saw the GPS option in multiPSK and it says it emulates a GPS and that i can send information live through a virtual serial port to google earth to update live. i think i understand how it works, but i might be missing something. i installed a virtual com port and both multiPSK and google earth recognize the 2 linked virtual ports, but when new APRS packets are received it doesnt show on google earth, where i have a live GPS feed enabled and running. google earth is scanning through com ports and USB ports but it never stops on one and never gets any waypoint data from multiPSK. any help appreciated.

(also posted on the multiPSK facebook group)

Have you followed this ? (from the manual):

* if the "GPS" button is pushed, all the received positions are transmitted, via a $GPGLL NMEA GPS frame, to any cartography application able to manage GPS frames in real time (as Google Earth). The user must first select a serial port (physical or virtual) in the "Serial port for GPS" menu, on the Configuration screen.
For an application on the same PC, it will be necessary to install a virtual serial link with 2 serial ports (with the "Com0com" program for example). A serial port will be configured on Multipsk and the other will be scaned by the cartography application.

Note: to start the real time GPS tracking on Google Earth, it is necessary to:

  • click on "Tools > GPS",
  • click on "Realtime",
  • check "NMEA",
  • set the polling interval to 1 second,
  • check "Automatically follow the path",
  • click on "Start".

See https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148095?hl=en for more information.

[...]

Edited

I have com0com installed, the two virtual serial ports from that are com3 and com4, I selected com3 in the multipsk setup screen, and hit tx/rx screen. Then I opened Google Earth, went to tools, gps, real-time, set the polling interval to 1, turned on the gps button in multipsk, and hit start on Google Earth's real-time gps screen. No waypoints are coming in to Google Earth, it doesn't show the ones before I pressed the gps button or the ones that come in after it is on. I am pretty sure I have this all set up, and I have tried multiple virtual serial ports programs, with still no luck on any of them.

Patrick Lindecker

From :

Note: to start the real time GPS tracking on Google Earth, it is necessary to:

  • click on "Tools > GPS",
  • click on "Realtime",
  • check "NMEA",
  • set the polling interval to 1 second,
  • check "Automatically follow the path",
  • click on "Start".

You forgot :

  • check "Automatically follow the path",
  • click on "Start".

Once done, you must see GE polling com3 and com4 and loading the positions from Multipsk.  It works (I just check it).