Multipsk 4.41 Test version 1 - C4FM

Patrick Lindecker

Hello to all,

For the possibility to decode several pieces of information (type of transmission and call signs) from C4FM frames (not voice, nor data position which seems enciphered), I proposed this test version 1:
http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_40_test_version_2.zip

http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_41_test_version_1.zip

Paste this address in your Internet Explorer or equivalent. Download the file.
Extract the ZIP file and replace the “official” Multipsk.exe with this test version. Before, make a copy of the “official” Multipsk.exe, in case of. It is also proposed new help manuals (chm files).

C4FM decoding (but not the voice)

"C4FM" is the acronym for "Continuous 4 Level Frequency Modulation". This mode has been developped by Yaesu. It is used in VHF and in UHF, mainly for voice communication but also for data communication (included during voice transmissions). It is spread in a mondial net by using, among other means, repeaters and Internet ("VoIP" ("Voice over IP) system called "WIRES-X"). It is a mode for amateurs but professionally developped, at equipement level. It is considered as a professional mode by Multipsk (but the decoding is not limited).

There are two sub-modes really used:

·                     Voice/data mode type 2 (called "Digital Narrow" on the FT991 transceiver),

·                     Voice full rate mode (called "Voice Wide" on the FT991 transceiver).

It is here only considered the data communication which summarizes to callsigns.

Note 1: the Ham position can be transmitted but it is coded and not described, so not decoded.

Note 2: the voice communication decoding is excluded because it needs an AMBE+2 Codec (under a proprietary licence).

For Hams and SWL, the C4FM signal can be received:

·                     either from the discriminator output of a classical VHF/UHF FM receiver via a direct connection to the PC sound card. However, the receiver must have a large reception bandwidth due to the high modulation speed,

·                     or with a SdR receiver (FunCube Dongle, RTL SDR,...) and directly demodulated by Multipsk. It is the simplest solution.

Here is the WEB address where you can know where all C4FM repeaters are located, with their frequencies, for each country: http://c4fm.xyz/repeaters-c4fm.php

This mode is in freeware, so without time limitation.

SdRplay receivers

For SdRplay receivers, it can be added parameters to RSP_RCP.exe, on a line editor (for example: "-P0" for "PORT A").

Thanks for reports on this forum.

Patrick

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

Patrick Lindecker

Erratum

The http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_41_test_version_1.zip WEB address is only the one to consider.

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Patrick Lindecker
Envoyé : dimanche 20 octobre 2019 11:11
À : multipsk@groups.io
Objet : [multipsk] Multipsk 4.41 Test version 1 - C4FM

Hello to all,

For the possibility to decode several pieces of information (type of transmission and call signs) from C4FM frames (not voice, nor data position which seems enciphered), I proposed this test version 1:
http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_40_test_version_2.zip

http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_41_test_version_1.zip

Paste this address in your Internet Explorer or equivalent. Download the file.
Extract the ZIP file and replace the “official” Multipsk.exe with this test version. Before, make a copy of the “official” Multipsk.exe, in case of. It is also proposed new help manuals (chm files).

C4FM decoding (but not the voice)

"C4FM" is the acronym for "Continuous 4 Level Frequency Modulation". This mode has been developped by Yaesu. It is used in VHF and in UHF, mainly for voice communication but also for data communication (included during voice transmissions). It is spread in a mondial net by using, among other means, repeaters and Internet ("VoIP" ("Voice over IP) system called "WIRES-X"). It is a mode for amateurs but professionally developped, at equipement level. It is considered as a professional mode by Multipsk (but the decoding is not limited).

There are two sub-modes really used:

·                     Voice/data mode type 2 (called "Digital Narrow" on the FT991 transceiver),

·                     Voice full rate mode (called "Voice Wide" on the FT991 transceiver).

It is here only considered the data communication which summarizes to callsigns.

Note 1: the Ham position can be transmitted but it is coded and not described, so not decoded.

Note 2: the voice communication decoding is excluded because it needs an AMBE+2 Codec (under a proprietary licence).

For Hams and SWL, the C4FM signal can be received:

·                     either from the discriminator output of a classical VHF/UHF FM receiver via a direct connection to the PC sound card. However, the receiver must have a large reception bandwidth due to the high modulation speed,

·                     or with a SdR receiver (FunCube Dongle, RTL SDR,...) and directly demodulated by Multipsk. It is the simplest solution.

Here is the WEB address where you can know where all C4FM repeaters are located, with their frequencies, for each country: http://c4fm.xyz/repeaters-c4fm.php

This mode is in freeware, so without time limitation.

SdRplay receivers

For SdRplay receivers, it can be added parameters to RSP_RCP.exe, on a line editor (for example: "-P0" for "PORT A").

Thanks for reports on this forum.

Patrick

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

David Stark

I noticed that all of the callsigns within the data have an extra character (U) inserted.

-Dave, NF2G

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Dave,

Can you copy/paste the received text so as to see what happens?

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de David Stark
Envoyé : lundi 21 octobre 2019 14:37
Objet : Re: [multipsk] Multipsk 4.41 Test version 1 - C4FM

I noticed that all of the callsigns within the data have an extra character (U) inserted.

-Dave, NF2G

Avast logo

www.avast.com

agene

Hi Patrick,

I tried using your new v4.41 test v1 with my RSP2 but with no luck. The RSP2 is working fine with SDR-Console, SDRuno and earlier versions of MultiPSK but when  I try with v4.41 test 1 all I get is "The receiver is not yet connected to Multipsk via TCP/IP Link"

The same receiver connects instantly using MultiPSK v4.39.4 when using antenna 'A'

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia

agene

Hi Patrick,

Further to my earlier post, I tried using my old original RSP1 and it worked instantly with the new v4.41 - So I have no idea why the RSP2 is not working?

Regards, Mike Simpson

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Mike,

Could you try the RSP2 connection with the 4.40 version of Multipsk (last “official” version)? TKS.

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de MadMike
Envoyé : samedi 26 octobre 2019 05:26

Hi Patrick,

Further to my earlier post, I tried using my old original RSP1 and it worked instantly with the new v4.41 - So I have no idea why the RSP2 is not working?

Regards, Mike Simpson

Avast logo

www.avast.com

agene

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the RSP2 works fine with the 'official' version v4.40  however when I then try it with no changes in equipment with v4.41 I get the error message:-

"Failure of the TCP/IP connection, the SDRplay receiver is probably not connected.
Disconnecting error.
Socket Error no 10053: Software caused the connection to
abort. A connection that has been made was aborted,
usually due to connection or protocol error."

This happens with either the A or B antenna connection.

Regards, Mike Simpson

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Mike,

Could you try  without any parameter in the Parameters field.

Patrick

Envoyé : dimanche 27 octobre 2019 00:00

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the RSP2 works fine with the 'official' version v4.40  however when I then try it with no changes in equipment with v4.41 I get the error message:-

"Failure of the TCP/IP connection, the SDRplay receiver is probably not connected.

Disconnecting error.

Socket Error no 10053: Software caused the connection to

abort. A connection that has been made was aborted,

usually due to connection or protocol error."

This happens with either the A or B antenna connection.

Regards, Mike Simpson

Avast logo

www.avast.com

agene

Hi Patrick,

That was with no parameters in the Parameters field. It comes up with RSP_TCP.exe file detected, TCP/IP connection in progress.
Then it says 'Connection done', then the error message I sent you in last post appears.

Same thing happens if I put any parameters in the parameters box as well.

Regards, Mike Simpson

Christian, OE60200755

Hello Patrick! Hello Mike!

I have the same problem here. But
If you start rsp_tcp.exe first, then
Multipsk, everything works fine.

If you start it the other way around,
the same error message comes up as with Mike.

73 de Christian.

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Mike,

TKS for the report.

It’s a bit complicated to understand, as there is no difference with the 4.40 version, except the parameters…

I will try to come back to the 4.39.4 way to manage the TCP/IP link in a new test version.

Patrick

Envoyé : dimanche 27 octobre 2019 02:21

Hi Patrick,

That was with no parameters in the Parameters field. It comes up with RSP_TCP.exe file detected, TCP/IP connection in progress.

Then it says 'Connection done', then the error message I sent you in last post appears.

Same thing happens if I put any parameters in the parameters box as well.

Regards, Mike Simpson

Avast logo

www.avast.com