Multipsk 4.41 Test version 1 - C4FM

Patrick Lindecker

Hello to all,

For the possibility to decode several pieces of information (type of transmission and call signs) from C4FM frames (not voice, nor data position which seems enciphered), I proposed this test version 1:
http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_40_test_version_2.zip

http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_41_test_version_1.zip

Paste this address in your Internet Explorer or equivalent. Download the file.
Extract the ZIP file and replace the “official” Multipsk.exe with this test version. Before, make a copy of the “official” Multipsk.exe, in case of. It is also proposed new help manuals (chm files).

C4FM decoding (but not the voice)

"C4FM" is the acronym for "Continuous 4 Level Frequency Modulation". This mode has been developped by Yaesu. It is used in VHF and in UHF, mainly for voice communication but also for data communication (included during voice transmissions). It is spread in a mondial net by using, among other means, repeaters and Internet ("VoIP" ("Voice over IP) system called "WIRES-X"). It is a mode for amateurs but professionally developped, at equipement level. It is considered as a professional mode by Multipsk (but the decoding is not limited).

There are two sub-modes really used:

·                     Voice/data mode type 2 (called "Digital Narrow" on the FT991 transceiver),

·                     Voice full rate mode (called "Voice Wide" on the FT991 transceiver).

It is here only considered the data communication which summarizes to callsigns.

Note 1: the Ham position can be transmitted but it is coded and not described, so not decoded.

Note 2: the voice communication decoding is excluded because it needs an AMBE+2 Codec (under a proprietary licence).

For Hams and SWL, the C4FM signal can be received:

·                     either from the discriminator output of a classical VHF/UHF FM receiver via a direct connection to the PC sound card. However, the receiver must have a large reception bandwidth due to the high modulation speed,

·                     or with a SdR receiver (FunCube Dongle, RTL SDR,...) and directly demodulated by Multipsk. It is the simplest solution.

Here is the WEB address where you can know where all C4FM repeaters are located, with their frequencies, for each country: http://c4fm.xyz/repeaters-c4fm.php

This mode is in freeware, so without time limitation.

SdRplay receivers

For SdRplay receivers, it can be added parameters to RSP_RCP.exe, on a line editor (for example: "-P0" for "PORT A").

Thanks for reports on this forum.

Erratum

The http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_41_test_version_1.zip WEB address is only the one to consider.

[...]

David Stark

I noticed that all of the callsigns within the data have an extra character (U) inserted.

-Dave, NF2G

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Dave,

Can you copy/paste the received text so as to see what happens?