Topics

EGC decoding improvement - Multipsk test version 6

Patrick Lindecker

Hello to all,

Here is the Multipsk test version 6 which improves EGC decoding : http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_39_1_test_version_6.zip

Paste this address in your Internet Explorer or equivalent. Download the file.
First, make a copy of the your Multipsk folder, in case of…

Extract the Multipsk.exe file (+ manual files + files for interfaces) and replace the “official” Multipsk.exe (+ manual files) with these test version files.

This test version decodes BD/BE messages and reassembles them (apparently always in messages packets B1 or B2). All the unknown messages EGC are decoded except the “85” one which remains a mystery.

I added a packet selection “Urgencies with position” but I did not decode Urgencies messages so I have not been able to test this function: display of the urgencies messages with indication of the position on the world map (with a red dash). So thanks for reports about this function.

I added, for information, the number of the decoded frame (there is a new one each 8.64 s).

The EGC frequencies are:

4-F3 EGC 1537.7000

3-F5 EGC 1541.4500 

4-F1 EGC 1541.4500

4A-F4 EGC 1537.1000 

Patrick

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

Fred Albertson

Hi Patrick,

TV6 installed and working nicely.  Thank you,

Fred

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Fred,

>TV6 installed and working nicely.  Thank you,
Nice, but it is not the final version as I just see that the Urgencies function does not work (I just received  an Urgency message and the boat in difficulties is shown in plain Finland…).

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Fred Albertson
Envoyé : samedi 15 juin 2019 00:11
À : multipsk@groups.io
Objet : Re: [multipsk] EGC decoding improvement - Multipsk test version 6

Hi Patrick,

TV6 installed and working nicely.  Thank you,

Fred

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

Paul Gulliver

Hi Patrick.

I've been running test ver 6 for a few hours on 4A-F4 and all seems fine, no unknown messages.
One question, if I press the "urgencies with positions" button the map opens ok, up but within that map window if I press the Goggle Earth button nothing happens - I do have GE installed on the computer. Does GE only open if there is a position to display or should it open regardless?

Cheers

Paul

On 14/06/2019 at 21:14, Patrick Lindecker <f6cte@...> wrote:

Hello to all,

Here is the Multipsk test version 6 which improves EGC decoding : http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_39_1_test_version_6.zip

Extract the Multipsk.exe file (+ manual files + files for interfaces) and replace the “official” Multipsk.exe (+ manual files) with these test version files.

This test version decodes BD/BE messages and reassembles them (apparently always in messages packets B1 or B2). All the unknown messages EGC are decoded except the “85” one which remains a mystery.

I added a packet selection “Urgencies with position” but I did not decode Urgencies messages so I have not been able to test this function: display of the urgencies messages with indication of the position on the world map (with a red dash). So thanks for reports about this function.

I added, for information, the number of the decoded frame (there is a new one each 8.64 s).

The EGC frequencies are:

4-F3 EGC 1537.7000

3-F5 EGC 1541.4500 

4-F1 EGC 1541.4500

4A-F4 EGC 1537.1000 

Patrick

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Paul,

>One question, if I press the "urgencies with positions" button the map opens ok, up but within that map window if I press the Goggle Earth. In fact, I forgot this panel which is not related to the EGC needs. There is no interest to open GE as the position is very approximate (one degree of accuracy). I will hide the majority of the buttons of this panel. Thanks for the remark.

At the moment, I know that there was a bug on these positions (bug fixed now in my local version). I wil propose a test version 7 (the last I hope).

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Paul Gulliver
Envoyé : samedi 15 juin 2019 18:20

Hi Patrick.

I've been running test ver 6 for a few hours on 4A-F4 and all seems fine, no unknown messages.

One question, if I press the "urgencies with positions" button the map opens ok, up but within that map window if I press the Goggle Earth button nothing happens - I do have GE installed on the computer. Does GE only open if there is a position to display or should it open regardless?

Cheers

Paul

On 14/06/2019 at 21:14, Patrick Lindecker <f6cte@...> wrote:

Hello to all,

The EGC frequencies are:

4-F3 EGC 1537.7000

3-F5 EGC 1541.4500 

4-F1 EGC 1541.4500

4A-F4 EGC 1537.1000 

Patrick

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Richard

Hello Patrick,

Finally able to install test version 6 and results have been excellent.  My main interest is EGC messages B1 and B2.  Overall very low packet loss, and messages so far have been received complete.  The issue I reported in version 4 has of course been totally corrected.

As a general comment not just for EGC decoding, would like to mention that is easy to stay on frequency because your waterfall display is wide enough to determine center frequency and allow occasional fine tuning as my SDR warms up and stabilizes.  Also have noted that I don't need to activate AFC since, after a few minutes of initial warm-up, the Nooelec NESDRsmartee is very stable. 

Receiving AORE on Inmarsat 3F5 at 54W with the Othernet L-band airgap antenna and Nooelec LNA.

Richard
KE7KRF

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Richard and all,

Thanks for the nice report.

For about AFC, the adjusting AFC latitude (compared to the theoretical central frequency) is a bit more than +/- 200 Hz. So click around the center of the transmission on the waterfall. Once locking to the central frequency, the AFC can be left as it is to take account the warm-up of the receiver. It the receiver is really very stable, the AFC can be deactivated (this will can give a possible small advantage).

Normally you must see increasing the frame counter by one unity each 8.64 sec. From time to time a frame can be lost but it must be normally rare.

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Richard
Envoyé : dimanche 16 juin 2019 19:10

Hello Patrick,

Finally able to install test version 6 and results have been excellent.  My main interest is EGC messages B1 and B2.  Overall very low packet loss, and messages so far have been received complete.  The issue I reported in version 4 has of course been totally corrected.

As a general comment not just for EGC decoding, would like to mention that is easy to stay on frequency because your waterfall display is wide enough to determine center frequency and allow occasional fine tuning as my SDR warms up and stabilizes.  Also have noted that I don't need to activate AFC since, after a few minutes of initial warm-up, the Nooelec NESDRsmartee is very stable. 

Receiving AORE on Inmarsat 3F5 at 54W with the Othernet L-band airgap antenna and Nooelec LNA.

Richard
KE7KRF

Avast logo

www.avast.com