Topics

#aero #aero

Roland Fechter

Hello,
I am very interested to get hold of a functioning Outernet Multi gap patch antenna for receiving aero.
Is there any source available - any dealer, any user having a second copy of it and willing to let me have it for a fair price ?
Unfortunately my expensive LP antenna broke down depriving me of the possibility to receive aero data.
I look forward to your suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Roland

Franz

Maybe try this:

L-Band-Receive Antenna

Roland Fechter

Thanks, Franz !
No-good - tried it with everything on earth - practically all SDR Receivers - bought 2 copies - good only for the bin !
Roland

David J Taylor

Thanks, Franz !
No-good - tried it with everything on earth - practically all SDR Receivers - bought 2 copies - good only for the bin !
Roland
==================================

Roland,

Be aware that for L-band reception of these signals you need GAIN, and an omnidirectional antenna such as the magnetic mount patch would not be adequate. Even with a patch antenna:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/outernet-patch-antenna-now-sold-seperately-other-products/

I've only seen carriers - likely at far too low an SNR to decode.

The omnidirectional antennas are unsuitable for your application, but they doesn't mean that they are "only good for the bin" for everyone.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Tomasz Lemiech

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 4:31 PM David J Taylor via Groups.Io <gm8arv=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
  Even with a patch antenna:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/outernet-patch-antenna-now-sold-seperately-other-products/

I've only seen carriers - likely at far too low an SNR to decode.

Here is what I see on this very patch antenna (and rtl-sdr.com v3 dongle):

alphasat_25E_10500_new.jpg

alphasat_25E_10500_new_JAERO.jpg

RTL gain setting around 28 dB. Alphasat at 38600 km distance, 30 deg elevation.

--
Tomasz Lemiech

Richard

My setup includes the Nooelec NESDR smartee, the Outernet airgap patch (not the active model) and the Outernet LNA.  I am receiving from Inmarsat at 54W which is not the closest to my western US location, i.e. elevation is only ~21 degrees.  You'll note that the three 10500bps AERO signals are all in the 12 dB SNR range providing very good decoding with Multipsk or JAERO.  I used SDR# to illustrate the signal strength; if decoding with Multipsk would use the direct I/Q input mode for these 10500bps signals. 

Patrick Lindecker

Nice report Richard.

>Nooelec NESDR smartee

Is this one “RTL-SDR” compatible (through the DLL)?  Or does it present a sound card input to Multipsk as the Funcube?

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Richard
Envoyé : jeudi 28 mars 2019 18:57
À : multipsk@groups.io
Objet : Re: [multipsk] #aero

My setup includes the Nooelec NESDR smartee, the Outernet airgap patch (not the active model) and the Outernet LNA.  I am receiving from Inmarsat at 54W which is not the closest to my western US location, i.e. elevation is only ~21 degrees.  You'll note that the three 10500bps AERO signals are all in the 12 dB SNR range providing very good decoding with Multipsk or JAERO.  I used SDR# to illustrate the signal strength; if decoding with Multipsk would use the direct I/Q input mode for these 10500bps signals. 

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

Richard

Patrick,

It is another RTL2832U - R820T2 dongle similar to the v3 RTL-SDR.com device.  Nooelec claims that the heat dissipation is better due to heatsinks and pads and the TCXO is 0.5 ppm.  I wanted to try it for the L-band and it also has a feature that I find very convenient -- bias-T is always on.  

So it is an RTL-SDR and performs with Multipsk just like the others.

I meant to add in my earlier posting that the 10500bps AERO signals show a lower SNR than the 1200 or 600 signals which can make decoding difficult if antenna alignment is off or there is not an clear path to the satellite.

This is the same setup I use for monitoring EGC (SafetyNet).

Richard

Patrick Lindecker

Thanks for the information Richard,

>So it is an RTL-SDR and performs with Multipsk just like the others.
No just like the others. It seems better. I never have been able to decode 10500 bauds transmissions with a Patch antenna (the S/N ratio was too much low). But with a dish (but 1 m diameter) with an helical antenna at the center.

Patrick

Envoyé : jeudi 28 mars 2019 21:50
À : m
ultipsk@groups.io

Patrick,

It is another RTL2832U - R820T2 dongle similar to the v3 RTL-SDR.com device.  Nooelec claims that the heat dissipation is better due to heatsinks and pads and the TCXO is 0.5 ppm.  I wanted to try it for the L-band and it also has a feature that I find very convenient -- bias-T is always on.  

So it is an RTL-SDR and performs with Multipsk just like the others.

I meant to add in my earlier posting that the 10500bps AERO signals show a lower SNR than the 1200 or 600 signals which can make decoding difficult if antenna alignment is off or there is not an clear path to the satellite.

This is the same setup I use for monitoring EGC (SafetyNet).

Richard

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

Richard

Patrick,

Attached is a screen shot of Multipsk decoding AERO 10500bps with the setup described.

Richard

Patrick Lindecker

Richard,

RR for the interesting screenshot (nice signal).

Possibly, you can avoid to show your name and address, clicking on the menu “Configuration” item, option “Name and address not displayed…”.

Patrick

Envoyé : jeudi 28 mars 2019 23:19
À : multipsk@groups.io

Patrick,

Attached is a screen shot of Multipsk decoding AERO 10500bps with the setup described.

Richard

Attachments:

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Richard

Good point Patrick.  I wasn't aware of that option.

thanks.