Topics

#aero Jaero too low signal strength #aero

Roland Fechter

Thank you for your continued kind advice, Paul !

The EbNo of my Jaero stays at best at -4dB having gone through  a great variety  of frequences and bauds.

I see  from your kind snaps that you are fortunate enough to get up to 15dB. If I remember correctly usable decoding via Jaero starts at about 10dB.

I also told my firewalls not to block Jaero and SDRsharp. I also move my Yagi sideways and up and downwords - no effect to see - 4dB maximum stays with me !!

I am now at a complete loss of finding any explanation and means of EVER reaching at least 10dBs - perhaps important - I use Windows 10 64bit.

Could you please look at this and tell me your findings-advice, please ?

Am 14.01.2019 um 18:54 schrieb Paul Gulliver via Groups.Io:

Hi Roland,
Just to try and help a bit more I've attached a couple of screenshots of how your SDR# and Jaero should be looking - in this case I'm decoding a 600bps signal.
The SDR# settings are USB with a 5KHz bandwidth.
If you notice the third spike from the left is wider than the others, this is a 1200bps signal

Hope this helps a bit

Paul

Attachments:

Paul Gulliver

Ok, well I think first we need to apologise to Patrick for having this off topic conversation on his group that is dedicated to the support of MultiPSK

Roland, I think all your troubles lie with your antenna, could you post a link to the item you have purchase or confirm that it is right-hand circular polarised.

Are you using a Low Noise amplifier, if so have you checked it's being fed with a suitable power supply

Perhaps you could also post a screenshot of SRD# showing your set up.

Normally these low rate (600 and 1200 bps) signals are easy to pick up with just a basic helix

You shouldn't have to keep moving your antenna, just use a satellite prediction program to give an Azimuth and elevation for the satellite you're trying to receive and point it in that direction - you don't need a high gain antenna so it should not matter if you are several degrees off the optimum - assuming you're trying to receive Alphasat (the easiest one for Europe) then you should be pointing around 165deg with an elevation of 30deg.

Hope this helps

Paul

On 15/01/2019 at 15:59, Roland Fechter <fly-fechter@...> wrote:

[...]

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: Re: [multipsk] #aero Jaero too low signal strength

Datum: 2019-01-15T17:36:29+0100

Von: "Paul Gulliver" <paulg1953@...>

An: "multipsk@groups.io" <multipsk@groups.io>

Ok, well I think first we need to apologise to Patrick for having this off topic conversation on his group that is dedicated to the support of MultiPSK

Roland, I think all your troubles lie with your antenna, could you post a link to the item you have purchase or confirm that it is right-hand circular polarised.
--Doubt it - anjo inmarsat yagi - also used with top results by Mr. Rauschenberg !
My setup copies that of Mr. Rauschenberg !

Are you using a Low Noise amplifier, if so have you checked it's being fed with a suitable power supply
--lna nooelec & saw filter module for outernet inmarsat-----dongle Nesdr Smartee linked to lna-
20m activeUSB cable to my notebook
usb
Perhaps you could also post a screenshot of SRD# showing your set up.
please see enclosed snap - only decoding I achieved - all  other main freqs inaccessable due to low dB- max 4db)

Datum: 2019-01-15T17:36:29+0100

Von: "Paul Gulliver" <paulg1953@...>

An: "multipsk@groups.io" <multipsk@groups.io>

[...]

Tomasz Lemiech

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:59 PM Roland Fechter <fly-fechter@...> wrote:

please see enclosed snap - only decoding I achieved - all  other main freqs inaccessable due to low dB- max 4db)

What are "other main freqs"? From which satellite? At what frequency?

18 dB is way above of what's required for a successful decode of 600 and 1200 bps channels. 4 dB is a little low indeed.

What I see on your screenshot is that your waterfall is all-red, which either means your contrast setting in SDRSharp is wrong or your receiver gain is way too high or your NooElec LNA is saturated (too high signal on input). Just to make sure: are you using this one: https://www.passion-radio.com/sdr-accessory/lna-outernet-467.html ? This amplifier has two stages and a bandpass filter which is placed in between the stages. The input side is not filtered, so the device may easily get saturated with in-band or out-of-band signals (like TV or FM radio) when attached to a high-gain or wideband antenna. I'm using this amplifier with a DIY patch antenna, which is inherently narrowband, so it acts like a bandpass filter. Despite it having only about 8 dBi of gain, it's enough to receive 600, 1200 and 10500 channels from Alphasat (I'm in central Poland and I have this sat at about 30 deg of elevation). Here are a few pictures and screenshots for you to compare: https://szpajd.ernet.info/~szpajder/inmarsat/DIY_patch/

Also try disabling AGC in the left pane in SDRSharp. Just for a quick test.

Tomasz Lemiech