Topics

#aero #aero

Roland Fechter

Hello,
Best wishes and season`s greetings to you all - thanks again for your support you kindly lent me so far !
As I last resort to my seemingly ever-lasting problems re setting up for AERO data I plan to use a 80cm dish
 with itsTitanium C1w PLL wide band LNBF with its CS1 scalar ring. I also found a functioning Bias Tee 5V - 12V 200ma  50-2500 MHz-
will this do to power sufficiently my C1W ? May I stress that my coax cable is abt. 15m long - I will replace it with a low-loss Aircell 5 .
My aim is to receive Aero C-band transmissions on 3F5 or 4F1. 1200 baud and/0r 10500 baud.
I am near Erlangen Germany and I do not know yet which of these 2 satellites are best suited for me. I have to find out once
I manage to get Aero data here.
I also have this Nooelec Sawband LNA and of course my collection of Dongles, starting with my Funcube.
I am note sure if the Nooelec Sawband will be of any use here.
I am ready to replace my current 80cm dish by a 1 m to 1.20m one if need be.
I wonder if there are some German members located in central or southern Germany using a similar set-up  and ready to
share with me their experience ?
Hopefully a mobile phone base station greeting me at some 150m distance will not hinder my current plan ?
I have heard that these stations do produce nasty interferences also between 1000 and 2000 MHz.
I look forward to the pleasure of your replies.

.

David J Taylor

Hello,
Best wishes and season`s greetings to you all - thanks again for your support you kindly lent me so far !
As I last resort to my seemingly ever-lasting problems re setting up for AERO data I plan to use a 80cm dish
with itsTitanium C1w PLL wide band LNBF with its CS1 scalar ring. I also found a functioning Bias Tee 5V - 12V 200ma 50-2500 MHz-
will this do to power sufficiently my C1W ? May I stress that my coax cable is abt. 15m long - I will replace it with a low-loss Aircell 5 .
[]
I look forward to the pleasure of your replies.
===================================

Ronald,

There is no need to change your cable when using an LNBF. The signal is amplified within the using such that some cable loss won't matter. The signal-to-noise is determined by the LBNF (and dish size/aiming etc) and 10-20m of cable is no problem.

Check that the LNBF is suited for your disk - you need different units for prime focus and offset dishes (although I don't know how much loss you get otherwise), and think how will keep the water out if you use an offset feed dish. C-band units are more typically intended for prime-focus dishes.

Sorry but I can't help with the rest of the questions.

Happy Holidays!
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Roland,

As many people told you yet, you need 18 V for the C1W-PLL, this to obtain a LHCP polarization to monitor 3F5. So 12 V  is not sufficient.

For the current, refer to the CW1-PLL data for the current needed.

About the LNA,  Paul and Chris told you that the LNA is useless for C band reception.

>3F5 or 4F1

4F1 is for Oceania not for Europe.

[...]

Chris van Lint

Hello Roland,

The speci state that the correct voltage for LHCP is 16-20V  This meand that 16V should be OK.   To be on the safe side I operate mine at 18V.  If I remember well the current consumption is around 180mA.

As Patrick mentioned a bias-tee delivering 4-12V is not usable as you need a minimum of 12V.  Unless your bias-tee is a box which plugs into the main power supply, you might be able to modify it to supply 18V.  Usually the bias-tee (

Bias-T Fernspeiseweiche) has an input socket for the operating voltage.  This voltage is then supplied at the "hot" end of the bias-tee.

Emacs!
If you supply 18-20V DC at the BNC connector "DC point" in the above image, you will get 18-20V at the output N connector marked "RF DC" which goes to the LNB.  The other N connector contains the DC block capacitor and goes to the SDR .

Can you open up the bias-tee you have.  If yes it might be a simple matter to convert it to 16-18V.  Why don't you post an image for us to have a look at?

Don't worry about the 15m cable length.  The Zinwell LNB has sufficient gain to cope with that.  You will also have to think about connectors.  The LNB takes a male "F" connector.  The receiver connector will depend on the type.  Most TCXO SDR-RTL devices have a female SMA connector and you may need a conversion piece to connect your LNB cable.

Roland Fechter

Thank you very much, Chris !

Despite its outrageous price I have just ordered with UKW Berichte the Bias-T you show and apparently use.

As I am void even of basic technical knowledge re these gadgets I will leave my current Bias T supplying 12V only untouched.

Taking for granted that the  Titanium C1W PLL wide band  will function vertically plus horizontally  with this UKW Berichte Bias I I just ordered I still face

the problem of getting a link with some Inmarsat satellites ie. pointing my miserable 80cm dish towards Inmarsat. Apparently data from Alphasat at 24.8E

can be received at my location in central Germany but I am perfectly aware that a 80cm dish will show data at only a very few "odd" frequencies.

I will use these only as a pointing aid for my 80cm dish. Once I have the certainty of indeed linking with Alphasat I will replace my 80cm dish by a 1m

dish or bigger. Limited space allows me install a dish of up to around 1.10m.

I would be most obliged for your continued help re the "right" frequency/ies  as part of my Christmas gifts !.

I look forward to your continued support.

Am 24.12.2018 um 03:19 schrieb Chris van Lint:

[...]

billcoombes

I'm not sure what you paid for the Bias T box but it is such a simple circuit and is very very easy to make.
Bill - G4ERV

[...]

Hi Roland,

So that there is no misunderstanding, I just used that image to illustrate what a stand-alone Bias-tee looks like, I myself do not use it, as I have built my own, which is not that difficult if you have the facilities.   I agree that the UKW Berichte products are all extremely expensive, but having said that, I have to also add that they are of exceptional quality and engineering integrity.
Do not forget that you still have to supply 16-18V to the Bias-Tee.

Also don't get confused about the Bias-tee working with the Horizontal and Vertical capabilities of the LNB.  Remember you are going to fit the dielectric slab between the probes in the LNB, to make it work as a circularly polarised feed.  All the Bias-tee does is provide the correct voltage to choose polarity.

As for suggesting the right frequencies and satellites, you partners there are Patrick and Paul.  They have experience and they can tell where to look and what to look for.  I cannot help there, as I am in a totally different geographical location.

If you give us your GPS coordinates, I and many others on the list will be able to give you the details regarding the azimuth and elevation.

With regards to dish size, keep in mind that there is a fundamental restriction associated with large diameter dishes.  The larger dishes have a very limited beam width (Strahlbreite) and require much more accurate directional adjustment both in azimuth as well as in elevation, which is why I am forced to use automated azimuth and elevation controls.

At 07:00 PM 24/12/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Hi Roland

I don't know what you call an "outrageous price" but this will suit your needs (at around 5 euros) providing you keep it indoors

There is no need for the bias tee to be at the dish end, usually more convenient for the power supply and bias tee to be indoors near the computer and mains power supply.

As Chris says you will still need to construct/ purchase a power supply that can be switched between 12 and 18 volts - I just used a ready made "plug in" psu that gave around 24 volts DC and a couple of 78 series regulator chips for 12 and 18 volts - seems to work ok.

Unable to help with Alphasat frequencies, here in the UK I'm unable to receive Alphasat C-band on my 1.1m dish and I suspect you will need a dish larger than 80cm to even see a signal.

Cheers

Paul