ALE-400 Test Version 4 Working Fine

Tony

Patrick:

Tested version 4 with the fixed frequency option and it seems to be working just fine. With fixed enabled, the tone frequencies stay put when the RSID tries to realign with the other station.

The fixed frequency option doesn't appear to disable the automatic ACK / NAK timing correction so glad to see that feature is still in tact.

The tests were conducted off-air using two instances of Multipsk linked via VAC. Tone frequencies were rock solid with fixed engaged so I suspect that any frequency drift found on-air is likely to be caused by transceiver drift. My guess is that most sound cards are stable enough these days where drift is not a problem.

Thanks,

Tony -K2MO

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Tony,

Thanks for the report.

The fixed frequency option doesn't appear to disable the automatic ACK / NAK timing correction so glad to see that feature is >still in tact.
Let's say that after reception of a RS ID, the program knows that an ALE400 frame follows and that it must listen to it before any action. It must help to resynchronize in time in case of loss of the transmission (because ARQ FAE is an asynchronous protocol).

that any frequency drift found on-air is likely to be caused by transceiver drift. My guess is that most sound cards are stable >enough these days where drift is not a problem.
You are right.

Tested version 4 with the fixed frequency option and it seems to be working just fine. With fixed enabled, the tone frequencies stay put when the RSID tries to realign with the other station.

The fixed frequency option doesn't appear to disable the automatic ACK / NAK timing correction so glad to see that feature is still in tact.

The tests were conducted off-air using two instances of Multipsk linked via VAC. Tone frequencies were rock solid with fixed engaged so I suspect that any frequency drift found on-air is likely to be caused by transceiver drift. My guess is that most sound cards are stable enough these days where drift is not a problem.

Thanks,

Tony -K2MO

---

Tony

On 7/8/2018 3:57 PM, Patrick Lindecker wrote:
It must help to resynchronize in time in case of loss of the transmission (because ARQ FAE is an asynchronous protocol).
Patrick:

It must have been difficult to write the re-synchronizing code. Probably not as difficult as developing the ALE-400 protocol.

Tony -K2MO

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Tony,

ALE400 derives from the 141A protocol. It was not very difficult. The ARQ FAE was much more complicated (and fun).