De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Russ Tower
Envoyé : vendredi 29 juin 2018 17:00
À : multipsk@groups.io
Objet : [multipsk] ALE-400

Hello Patrick,

Ted and I spent the past week checking out the ALE-400 program that you modified for us to prevent it from seeking for any possible frequency change when there is a deep fade in propagation and there are a number of retries. Unfortunately the condition still exists when we are using the message mode to chat, composing and editing once sentence at a time to send.

To restate the problem, it acts just like we had the AFC turned on. We keep it turned off and yet there is a change in the tone setting of 1500 Hz, that we use to start out with, (usually upwards) of often up to 15 Hz or more as the program goes into a "search mode" when we start to have a number of retries due to faltering propagation.

I'm thinking that any and all searching around our chosen frequency should be disabled when we do not activate it by clicking on the AFC button. We are leaving the AFC turned off of course.

We are eager to test any different change regarding this that you would like to try.

73/Russ
K1DOW

Russ Tower

Hello Patrick,

re: Do you click on the “/FAE” button close to the “ALE400” one?

Yes, exactly.

Then we use the option to send one line at a time (via the Esc key) after composing and editing a sentence in the message mode to be sent.

73/Russ
K1DOW

Patrick Lindecker

Thanks Russ,

I will see this. I will keep you informed.

re: Do you click on the “/FAE” button close to the “ALE400” one?

Yes, exactly.

Then we use the option to send one line at a time (via the Esc key) after composing and editing a sentence in the message mode to be sent.

73/Russ
K1DOW

Russ Tower

Hello Patrick,

There has been a new development regarding the issue we have been discussing regarding ALE-400 AFE searching frequency wise for the linked station's signal in the event of a deep fade.
I think what I am going to tell you may contain the answer to this problem.

Tonight I got an email from my friend Lee, NR5G, who told me that they had this problem going on with a station in their group when using the Olivia mode in MultPSK with AFC, etc., turned off but the FIXED button not turned on. As soon as the FIXED button was clicked on the searching problem (like we have in ALE-400 AFE mode) the problem was gone.

I looked over the ALE-400 AFE  mode screen but I could not find a "FIXED" button offered. I'm thinking that perhaps if you can offer the FIXED button function for ALE-400 FAE mode the problem will be solved.

The info presented when hovering the cursor over this FIXED button on the Olivia screen says " Lock the RX frequency (so neither frequency search nor AFC)
I think this is exactly what we need in ALE-400  FAE  mode to stop the frequency searching during a deep fade or even heavy QRM..

Bet Regard/Russ
K1DOW

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Russ,

I have tried a pseudo QSO with test version 3 (which prevents taking into account RS ID) on both ends. I didn’t see such frequency jumps.

However I can add do as you suggest a “Fixed” button. It will prevent transmission and reception of RS ID, in case of QSB, and it will set the AFC to “No AFC”.

Once “Fixed” set, your frequency will not move.