ALE -400

Russ Tower

Hi Patrick,

My good friend Ted, WB2LOU, and I use ALE-400 most every day to stay in touch. It's the best one on one program for QSO's that we have ever found!
There is one issue that we would like to see changed however, that I think would be easy to do. It is about this:

No matter if we keep the AFC turned off, or no matter what combination of "slave/master" we use between us, we find that when in an  ALE-400 QSO the program will eventually start to search around the frequency for the other station that it is having a problem copying due to propagation. This morning, as an example, we ended up 34 Hz off of the 1500 Hz center frequency that we use.

It appears that ALE-400 is designed to seek for a possible frequency change of the other station it is connected to when copy begins to fail. The problem we encounter is invariably failing propagation, which is normal. It is not being off frequency, so when ALE-400 starts to search frequency wise for the station it is connected to, it only complicates matters and we end up off of our starting frequency.

I propose to eliminate this "auto frequency searching" under faltering copy conditions, or at least be able to turn it off. Being off frequency with today's accurate digital VFO's is not a problem as it might have been before we had this technology.

Thank you for your attention to this.

73/Russ
K1DOW

Andrew OBrien

Interesting idea

On Jun 20, 2018, at 10:43 AM, Russ Tower <russtower@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Russ,

>It's the best one on one program for QSO's that we have ever found!

Thanks.

There are two possibilities to follow the signal frequency in ALE-400 (ARQ-FAE):

·         the AFC which is a standard one (in your case they must be off),

·         through transmission of RS ID when the signal is lost according to some conditions. I think you must drift  because of the realignment  of frequencies due to RS ID. In the present version, you can’t avoid it.

On the following test version 3 of the Multipsk 4.36, I have forbidden (for your test) the RS ID detection

http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_36_test_version_3.zip

So you will stay in the same frequency (if both “AFC” are off).  I’m not sure how it will work better on difficult conditions (QSB), as RS ID is done for this (time and frequency realignments).

If after tests, you think it is a better way, I wil add an option as you proposed (or I will extend the AFC to the RS/ID detection),  in the program, to block RS ID use.

[...]

Patrick, thank you very much for your quick reply and the test version of Multitask with your mod for ALE-400.
I have already downloaded and installed it and hopefully Ted will have dome so also by tomorrow morning so that we can test it.
I will get back to you with what we experience as soon as I have observed enough to file a report with you.

73/Russ
K1DOW

Russ Tower

Hello Patrick,

Yes, I think that the adding of the FIXED button should be the answer to the frequency seeking that we experience during deep fades. We eagerly await a test version added to the ALE-400
/FAE operating screen that we can test.

Best Regards,

Russ Tower
K1DOW

 Patrick Lindecker
4:29pm

Hello Russ,

I have tried a pseudo QSO with test version 3 (which prevents taking into account RS ID) on both ends. I didn’t see such frequency jumps.

However I can add do as you suggest a “Fixed” button. It will prevent transmission and reception of RS ID, in case of QSB, and it will set the AFC to “No AFC”.

Once “Fixed” set, your frequency will not move.

Hello Russ,

I will propose a test version with this button, this week or next week, I hope. However, without RS ID, I’m not sure about the QSO recovery after a loss of time synchronization (I will test this). If it is not possible without RS ID, I could keep the RSID but for time synchronization only (without frequency synchronization).

Yes, I think that the adding of the FIXED button should be the answer to the frequency seeking that we experience during deep fades. We eagerly await a test version added to the ALE-400
/FAE operating screen that we can test.

Best Regards,

Russ Tower
K1DOW

 Patrick Lindecker

4:29pm

Hello Russ,

I have tried a pseudo QSO with test version 3 (which prevents taking into account RS ID) on both ends. I didn’t see such frequency jumps.

However I can add do as you suggest a “Fixed” button. It will prevent transmission and reception of RS ID, in case of QSB, and it will set the AFC to “No AFC”.

Once “Fixed” set, your frequency will not move.

Russ Tower

Hello Patrick,

Yes, I think that keeping the RSID but for time synchronization only (without frequency synchronization) will be the answer to resyncing when necessary but not searching for the frequency. I eagerly await a test version that I will share with Ted, WB2LOU.

73/Russ
K1DOW