Topics

RTL disconnect

David Stark

I have 2 identical setups for decoding VDL2.  Computers (i7 quad core desktops), Windows 10x64 Pro settings (including power management), MultiPSK v4.34 (registered) settings, RTL-SDRs are all the same.

One copy of MultiPSK decodes a transmission or two, then disconnects itself from the RTL-SDR.

Does anyone know why, or how to fix it?

Patrick Lindecker

Hello

Haven’t you a second RTL-SDR to test? It can be the RTL-SDR or some problem regarding the set of soft used (perhaps the combination of Multipsk + Windows 10 pro + the RTL-SDR drivers used by Multipsk causes some problem). I have never had that sort of problem with any RTL-SDR or any PC, except sometime when I touch the RTL-SDR (due to a temporary contact failure).

I have 2 identical setups for decoding VDL2.  Computers (i7 quad core desktops), Windows 10x64 Pro settings (including power management), MultiPSK v4.34 (registered) settings, RTL-SDRs are all the same.

One copy of MultiPSK decodes a transmission or two, then disconnects itself from the RTL-SDR.

Does anyone know why, or how to fix it?

David Stark

There are two RTL-SDRs connected to each computer.  I have tried the second one on the computer with the MultiPSK failure and the same thing happens.

Also, I use Zadig v2.3 to install drivers for the RTL dongles on all of my machines (I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop, all i7 QC running Win10x64 Pro).

Dick

In most if not all cases like this it is the power to the dongle that is insufficient.
Disconnect other USB devices or use a POWERED  USB hub.

Does switching the two dongles make the problem go to the other computer?

Cheers,
Dick

I have 2 identical setups for decoding VDL2.  Computers (i7 quad core desktops), Windows 10x64 Pro settings (including power management), MultiPSK v4.34 (registered) settings, RTL-SDRs are all the same.

One copy of MultiPSK decodes a transmission or two, then disconnects itself from the RTL-SDR.

Does anyone know why, or how to fix it?

David Stark

Actually, the computer with the problem is also the only one that does not have a hub between the PC and the dongles.

Patrick Lindecker

Hello David,

>There are two RTL-SDRs connected to each computer.

Have you tested with only RTLSDR connected to each computer. There is perhaps some problem with the PC to manage two RTL SDR in the same time.

There are two RTL-SDRs connected to each computer.  I have tried the second one on the computer with the MultiPSK failure and the same thing happens.

Also, I use Zadig v2.3 to install drivers for the RTL dongles on all of my machines (I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop, all i7 QC running Win10x64 Pro).

Bob

On 2/18/2018 1:34:07 PM, David Stark (davidthomasstark@...) wrote:
Actually, the computer with the problem is also the only one that does not have a hub between the PC and the dongles.
So, to be perfectly clear on what your situation is Dave:

2 seemingly identical desktop PCs.
1 (or more) dongles per computer?
1 installation of MultiPSK per computer?
Only 1 dongle on 1 computer on 1 USB port exhibits this problem?
If dongles are physically swapped between computers the same port on the same computer exhibits the same problem?
If the "defective" (not proven of course) dongle is moved to a different USB port on the same computer the fault follows it or stays with specific physical port?

You have to flowchart this for us or too many people are going to jump in with only bits and pieces of the puzzle.

Bob

David Stark

2 seemingly identical desktop PCs.   YES
1 (or more) dongles per computer?    YES
1 installation of MultiPSK per computer?    YES
Only 1 dongle on 1 computer on 1 USB port exhibits this problem?   NO.  Any dongle on any USB port gets disconnected.
If dongles are physically swapped between computers the same port on the same computer exhibits the same problem?  Not port or dongle specific.
If the "defective" (not proven of course) dongle is moved to a different USB port on the same computer the fault follows it or stays with specific physical port?
Again the problem is not port or dongle specific.  Any dongle on any port on that machine gets disconnected.

This only happens with MultiPSK.  SDRSharp, FMP24, acarsdeco2 and other programs run fine without any interruptions.

I would like to try rolling back to v4.33 to see if it stops happening.

Bob

On 2/19/2018 8:42:36 PM, David Stark (davidthomasstark@...) wrote:

This only happens with MultiPSK.  SDRSharp, FMP24, acarsdeco2 and other programs run fine without any interruptions.

I would like to try rolling back to v4.33 to see if it stops happening.
Wow, that is wild that it fails in so many combinations but exclusively with Multi PSK. Do you have 4.33 there? I have it and 4.32 if I can be of any help.

Cheers!

Bob

Patrick Lindecker

Hello David,

Do you remember at which version (if any), does Multipks work with the SdR on your PC?

Is Multipsk located under the C: root and not in the Programs directory?

Have you tried to start Multipsk in administrator (who knows)?

2 seemingly identical desktop PCs.   YES
1 (or more) dongles per computer?    YES
1 installation of MultiPSK per computer?    YES
Only 1 dongle on 1 computer on 1 USB port exhibits this problem?   NO.  Any dongle on any USB port gets disconnected.
If dongles are physically swapped between computers the same port on the same computer exhibits the same problem?  Not port or dongle specific.
If the "defective" (not proven of course) dongle is moved to a different USB port on the same computer the fault follows it or stays with specific physical port?
Again the problem is not port or dongle specific.  Any dongle on any port on that machine gets disconnected.

This only happens with MultiPSK.  SDRSharp, FMP24, acarsdeco2 and other programs run fine without any interruptions.

I would like to try rolling back to v4.33 to see if it stops happening.

pelix21

Hi all
I am also experiencing similar problem with RTL-SDR on a new computer with WIN10 . I have installed Multipsk 4.38 outside "Program" directory and it in general  works fine, it also accepts "Direct input" from a Funcube dongle.

I also spent some time to get the RTL dongle working with SDRSHARP (Zadig etc,) but now it works fine. So actual situation is:

MULTIPSK + FUNCUBE : OK
SDRSHARP + RTL : OK
MULTIPSK+ RTL: PROBLEM

When I try to set "DIrect input" from RTL I get an error window saying "problem on a rtl dll" and then lists rtlsdr, libusb-1.0 and msvcr100.  I just tried to replace above dll's with the ones currently working in SDRSHARP but no success.

Any suggestion on thingsd to check?  Thanks. Mauro

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Mauro,

Is your PC a 64 bits or a 32 bits (I have never tried in a 64 bits PC and it can be the reason of the problem, so a Multipsk problem)? Perhaps there are users having a feedback about Multipsk using RTL/SDR on a 64 bits PC?

You must have an error number on the bottom of the Configuration screen. Which is it?

About DLL. You could possibly use the last official dll, but I’m almost sure that it will not change anything (first make a backup of the Multipsk dll):

·  Download the official RTL-SDR Windows release from http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/attachment/wiki/rtl-sdr/RelWithDebInfo.zip.

·  Copy the libusb-1.0.dll, rtlsdr.dll and pthreadVC2-w32.dll files from the official RTL-SDR Windows release zip file to your Multipsk folder.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 06:27 PM, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Perhaps there are users having a feedback about Multipsk using RTL/SDR on a 64 bits PC?
Related to this thread
https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/1504
I tried MultiPSK on my 64bit laptop and had no problem using the RTL-SDR dongle with Multipsk 4.38.1.

Cheers,
Dick

Dick

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 06:55 PM, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Any dongle on any port on that machine gets disconnected.
Two questions:
1. Can you clarify "gets disconnected"?
Does this mean that it works fine for some time and then gets disconnected?

2. "on that machine"
So everything works fine on one machine but not on the other machine?
If true than it is machine specific! Correct?

Cheers,
Dick

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Dick,

It corresponds to what I read, i.e the 32 bits dlls for RTL/SDR work for 64 bits PC. So the problem is not about these dll.

Do you know what version of Zadig you use? This because, I read that the 2.0.1.154 version of Zadig works well but not the following versions?

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 06:27 PM, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Perhaps there are users having a feedback about Multipsk using RTL/SDR on a 64 bits PC?
Related to this thread
https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/1504
I tried MultiPSK on my 64bit laptop and had no problem using the RTL-SDR dongle with Multipsk 4.38.1.

Cheers,
Dick

---

Mauro,

As I said, you must have an error number on the bottom of the Configuration screen. Which is it?

If it is 12, it means that either the installation of the driver made by Zadig has not been done or (as in your case) the driver installed by Zadig is not considered by Windows 10 (“it turns out that Windows 10 defaults to treating the RTL-SDR as a "composite" device and auto installs its own driver for it.”).

The solution is there:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2031

In fact, it is just enough to uncheck the “Ignore Hubs or Composite Parents”  in the Options menu.

I am also experiencing similar problem with RTL-SDR on a new computer with WIN10 . I have installed Multipsk 4.38 outside "Program" directory and it in general  works fine, it also accepts "Direct input" from a Funcube dongle.

I also spent some time to get the RTL dongle working with SDRSHARP (Zadig etc,) but now it works fine. So actual situation is:

MULTIPSK + FUNCUBE : OK
SDRSHARP + RTL : OK
MULTIPSK+ RTL: PROBLEM

When I try to set "DIrect input" from RTL I get an error window saying "problem on a rtl dll" and then lists rtlsdr, libusb-1.0 and msvcr100.  I just tried to replace above dll's with the ones currently working in SDRSHARP but no success.

Any suggestion on thingsd to check?  Thanks. Mauro

Fred Albertson

Hi Patrick and Mauro,

I use 2 sdr's with Multipsk on a 64 bit Win 10 PC.  I have
had no issues.  They also operate on SDR# and HDSDR and
RTL1090.exe just fine.

Zadig version is:  2.4

rtlsdr.dll is file version 1.0.0.1 from http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

RTL_SDR.txt file reads:

Generic_RTL2832U_R820T_Generic_RTL2832U_77771111153705700 0 -65 137211407 9 A
Generic_RTL2832U___ 0 -67 1537700000 9 A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle_Unknown___ -64 0 1090000000 : A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle_R820T_Realtek_RTL2838UHIDIR_00000001 0 66 137262587 9 A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle_Realtek_RTL2838UHIDIR_00000001 0 66 137425081 9 A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle___ 0 -66 1090000000 : A

Hope this helps you in your quest.

Great evening,

Fred

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Fred,

Thanks for the information.

It seems that the last W10 updates complicate implementation of non-Windows drivers for, I presume, computer security reason.

What is sure is that 32 bits DLL work for 64 bits (ouf!).

I use 2 sdr's with Multipsk on a 64 bit Win 10 PC.  I have
had no issues.  They also operate on SDR# and HDSDR and
RTL1090.exe just fine.

Zadig version is:  2.4

rtlsdr.dll is file version 1.0.0.1 from http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

RTL_SDR.txt file reads:

Generic_RTL2832U_R820T_Generic_RTL2832U_77771111153705700 0 -65 137211407 9 A
Generic_RTL2832U___ 0 -67 1537700000 9 A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle_Unknown___ -64 0 1090000000 : A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle_R820T_Realtek_RTL2838UHIDIR_00000001 0 66 137262587 9 A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle_Realtek_RTL2838UHIDIR_00000001 0 66 137425081 9 A
ezcap_USB_2.0_DVB-T/DAB/FM_dongle___ 0 -66 1090000000 : A

Hope this helps you in your quest.

Great evening,

Fred

Dick

Edited

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 09:05 PM, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Do you know what version of Zadig you use?
For the test I did related to thread https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/1504
I used zadig-2.4.exe on my 64bit Win 10 (up-to-date) laptop and have not seen any problems.

What I have seen in the past is that if the dongle has lost part of the configuration (serialnumber, manufacturer) then some programs fail to recognize the dongle but other programs work well.
I just found my notes on that issue.
"quote"
When the dongle (sn: 00000005) is connected to my Win10 Laptop and using Zadig the Zadig log shows this:
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] WinUSB USB device (2): USB\VID_0BDA&PID_2832\77771111153705700
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'RTL2832U'
This Device description 'RTL2832U' is wrong, it should be 'RTL2838UHIDIR'
Also the Serialnumber '77771111153705700' is wrong, it should be '00000005'

After I used rtl-eeprom to restore the dongle's EEprom with the default factory settings all worked fine.
rtl_eeprom can be found in "RelWithDebInfo.zip" from "http://osmocom.org/projects/sdr/wiki/rtl-sdr"
This is the command I used (on my RPi): rtl_eeprom -g realtek

The EEprom of the dongle became corrupted due to power problems on my RPi.
Actually it happened to two dongles and I sucesfully restored both.
"unquote"

That is why I wanted to know if the problem was dongle, machine or software related.

73, Dick

Fred Albertson

OK Patrick,

Just a bit more info:  The PC is 64-bit hardware and is fully updated.

The operating system software is:

Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, OS build 17134.590.  That
is current to this morning.

I am not running any of the programs in "Compatability Mode."

I have had no changes in the performance of MultiPSK or the
SDR's from the newest Win 10 updates.

Maybe I'm just lucky...

Fred