Re: Fax problem

Maelruan

Thanks Patrick,

Other than noting their existance, I'm not knowledgeable about the impact of msconfig & svchost, so must rely on the recommendations of experts like yourself.

I am now much more informed about the interrupt interference than before this discussion, and should be able to apply some solutions suggested.

Maelruan

On 01/02/2021 18:18, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello Maelruan,

Thanks for all the info. Perhaps, you know it, but perhaps not: to get the different services and tasks started up when you start your PC, you must type “MSCONFIG” +CR inside the pseudo-DOS panel (under the “Exécuter” option in French, and probably “Run” or “Execute” option in English).

Then you can remove all services or starting tasks which seem useless (and take CPU for nothing). However be cautious with services (with starting tasks it is less important).

Under the task manager, I have not found a good method to kill the “svchost.exe” processes, the ones which take much CPU, without  crashing the PC .

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Maelruan
Envoyé : lundi 1 février 2021 01:48
À : multipsk@groups.io
Objet : Re: [multipsk] Fax problem

Thanks Patrick.

I do bring a 2nd PC onboard at times which is a very near clone of the 1st as it's job is to step in as 1st sub, and which is available for fax while standing by in the dug-out. This one has replaced a previous 1st due which failed, all 3 are the same model for interchangeability and are now quite "old".

I forgot to mention further inputs to the wheelhouse PC from weather instruments, all tasks run together 24/7 successfully.

Thanks for explaining that the Windows task priority causes interrupts, and the DC charger interrupts are extra to those. I ran Task Manager in a window beside a decoding fax which did show that Diagnostic Policy Service was taking up too much CPU while the fax was being totally screwed up. I haven't recreated the extent of that, but a Google search suggested that this was often the culprit in Windows 10. The link provided a small routine to run as a .bat file which should be run as Administrator to deal with that - e.g. see details below.

Another link (https://www.wraase.de/download/wrx137/WRX-137%20Manual.pdf) has this explanation:

"If you observe some strange horizontal image-shifting during reception (stepping), please
refer to the 2 pages of special notes “Stepping problem”. Such is caused by short
interruptions of the serial data stream and can in most cases be cured by switching off all the
Windows Power Saving Modes."

I haven't found the 2 pages referred to, but this does identify the problem and the solution looks plausible from my experience with the charger.

Maelruan

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/112891-fix-high-cpu-usage-caused-diagnostic-policy-service.html

@echo off
echo ... Set DPS service start type to manual ...
echo.
sc config DPS start= demand

echo.
echo ... Find PID of DPS service ...

for /f "tokens=2 delims=[:]" %%f in ('sc queryex dps ^|find /i "PID"') do set PID=%%f

echo.
echo ... Kill DPS service
echo.

taskkill /f /pid %PID%

echo.
echo ... Delete sru Folder ...
echo.

rd /s "%windir%\system32\sru"

echo.
echo ... Set DPS service start type to auto ...
echo.
sc config DPS start= auto

echo.
echo ... Start DPS service ...

sc start DPS
echo.

pause

On 31/01/2021 20:07, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello Maelruan,

Under Windows, data are given by packets (contrary to DOS where data were fetched sample by sample). Windows being a multi-tasks system, if some task has a high priority, it can prevent a decoder to fetch the packet of data  and you will miss part of the decoding. For fax, it is a pity because there is no repetition as for AIS…

I suppose that very fast PC with very fast hard-disk are no so sensitive to these interruptions.

The solution would perhaps be on old laptop reserved for fax (?)

>The reception of the image is stable when the charger cable is unplugged

Moreover, you have less parasitic from the electric net.

>As well as a Wefax/digi-mode decoder, the same PC serves as a chartplotter with both GPS and AIS inputs, while at the same time as a terrestial DTV receiver when it would be painful to miss an exciting >match when on a long solo coastal passage.

I understand ☺

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Maelruan
Envoyé : dimanche 31 janvier 2021 19:18

Patrick,

I've had a similar experience decoding Wefax as Antti had, not only on Multipsk but also with Fldigi and OpenCPN where some of the processing is done by SDRSharp and VAC. An additional reason for the interrupts described which I noticed is that the skips coincide with the battery charging icon switching to charge when using a DC charger with a notebook PC on my boat! The reception of the image is stable when the charger cable is unplugged, or when the battery is fully charged. This interrupt glitch seems to also occur when decoding SYNOP where it manifests as an alpha/numeric switch or loss of a character.

As well as a Wefax/digi-mode decoder, the same PC serves as a chartplotter with both GPS and AIS inputs, while at the same time as a terrestial DTV receiver when it would be painful to miss an exciting match when on a long solo coastal passage.

Maelruan

On 27/01/2021 22:37, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello Antti,

It’s better now, just a very small loss of signal.

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Antti Takalo-Kippola via groups.io
Envoyé : mercredi 27 janvier 2021 17:55
Objet : VS: [multipsk] Fax problem

Thanks for the answer. I disabled a few background apps and now only one small jump is pictured.

Red point my QTH

73 OH8BZH

Lähettäjä: Patrick Lindecker
Lähetetty: tiistai 26. tammikuuta 2021 0:37
Vastaanottaja: multipsk@groups.io
Aihe: Re: [multipsk] Fax problem

Hello Antti,

Thierry is right, there is another soft taking CPU resources. In Fax, Multipsk must be the only soft to work, because 1/10 sec of reception lost and the picture is shifted.

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Thierry via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 25 janvier 2021 21:56

Hi Antti,

My two cents: I think you may have a software, maybe in background, which is, using at the same time you are receiving fax, a lot of ressources of your PC.
At experimented the same problem in the past, even if PC was a "strong" one.

73 de Thierry

Le 25/01/2021 à 17:00, Antti Takalo-Kippola via groups.io a écrit :

Fax image is not on the same line. Does anyone have this same problem?

My pc >=450

Lähetetty Windows 10:n Sähköpostista

Join multipsk@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.