Re: HFDL and Google Earth position tracking

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Nick,

When you click on « Display RX positions” you sent on GE (Google Earth) the previous stored positions. By this way, you can’t update  GE with new positions (unless re-clicking on « Display RX positions”).

However, on recent Multipsk recent versions and for several modes (not all), I have added an option called “GPS” (RS41 mode for example) to send positions to cartography applications (as GE, but not only), which function is the following:

- if the "GPS" button is pushed, all positions are transmitted, via a $GPGGA NMEA GPS frame, to any cartography application able to manage GPS frames in real time (as Google Earth). The user must first select a serial port (physical or virtual) in the "Serial port for GPS" menu, on the Configuration screen.
For an application on the same PC, it will be necessary to install a virtual serial link with 2 serial ports (with the "Com0com" program for example). A serial port will be configured on Multipsk and the other will be scanned by the cartography application.

Note: to start the real time GPS tracking on Google Earth, it is necessary to:

  • click on "Tools > GPS",
  • click on "Realtime",
  • check "NMEA",
  • set the polling interval to 1 second,
  • check "Automatically follow the path",
  • click on "Start".

See https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148095?hl=en for more information.