ORBCOMM Antennas

Paul Gulliver

All the talk on this group about the ORBCOMM satellite has sparked an interest, I've spent a few hours today monitoring the spectrum between 137.2 and 137.8 using an RSP1A and a VHF airband antenna - total disappointment, not one signal that appeared to be from any of the satellites (just a signal from a NOAA weather sat).
So the question is, whats the best antenna to use, should it be circular polarised?  how strong are the signals normally.
I've been using a tracking program with the latest keplers and the satellite elevations has been up to around 30deg. at best

Any advice welcome