Re: A Solution To The Digital Mode Recognition Issue

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Joachin,

Nice that you recall the links in Spanish.

>Patrick, I agree with Tony, maybe add a pop-up window that remembers the need to activate RS ID every time a mode is activated and maybe unify it so that it

I’m much more for a temporary message in a caption to warn the user.

Note: in Multipsk, for exotic modes (all RX/TX modes except BPSK31, BPSK63, JT65, CW, PACKET, PAX, DTMF, PACTOR1, RTTY 45, FAX, SSTV, 141A et 110A), if the Ham sent a macro with a “CQ”  ("CQ CQ" or "CQ DE" precisely) inside, it is previously transmitted a RS ID.

Patrick

De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de EA4ZB
Envoyé : mercredi 17 avril 2019 13:15
À : multipsk@groups.io
Objet : Re: [multipsk] A Solution To The Digital Mode Recognition Issue

Tony, Patrick, all

Thank you for your comments once again about the convenience of using Reed-Solomon indicators. Tony, thank you for the video.

It's a topic that I've always commented on whenever I've had the occasion, because there are several programs that implement these identifiers (HRD, Fldigi, MixW, etc). Any user of digital modes is going to have difficulties to know which way it is, except in the most used ones, like psk31, rtty, sstv, etc, but very few people use these identifiers.

I think there are users who don't know what it's for. I also made some short videos about RS ID, Call ID and Video ID (in Spanish) but I'm not sure people use them.

Multipsk – Identificador Reed Solomon RS ID – Parte 1

https://youtu.be/czzgFAdMB3M

Multipsk – Identificador Reed Solomon Parte 2 – Call ID, Prop ID, Message ID

Multipsk vs FlDigi Identificadores RS ID Video ID

As Tony says, it is also a problem for new users of digital modes, who may get discouraged when they want to know what mode appears in the waterfall.

Patrick, I agree with Tony, maybe add a pop-up window that remembers the need to activate RS ID every time a mode is activated and maybe unify it so that it always appears in the waterfall horizontally and not vertically.

It's just an idea, but I think everything would be much easier then, especially for new digital mode operators.

El mar., 16 abr. 2019 a las 20:23, Patrick Lindecker (<f6cte@...>) escribió:

Hello Tony,

>This video explains the need for mode identifiers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkz0GNpA0I
Good idea that this nice video (and the "wake-up call"). So a new link from my WEB site.

Patrick

-----Message d'origine-----
De : multipsk@groups.io [mailto:multipsk@groups.io] De la part de Tony
Envoyé : mardi 16 avril 2019 00:31
À : multipsk@groups.io
Objet : [multipsk] A Solution To The Digital Mode Recognition Issue

All:

Most are aware that mode identification became a necessity more than a decade ago as the number of sound card modes grew. The problem was solved early on thanks to the Reed Solomon Identifier developed by F6CTE. Yet here we are years later with more modes than ever before and we're still not using RS-ID when we should be.

It's puzzling because there are only a handful of modes that are discernible by sight and sound so we're left with dozens of variants and sub-modes that require RS-ID in order to be identified quickly and efficiently.

Prompt identification by observation is impossible because many variants share the same modem with their primary counterparts so their appearance is identical. We also have protocols that share the same modulation type which have visual and audible similarities that make it difficult to distinguish one from the other.

The solution would be to automate the process by having the TX-RSID engage by default whenever a difficult-to-decipher mode is selected. An easier approach for developers to implement might be to add a pop-up that reminds the user to engage the TX/RX ID when selecting certain modes.

It's not only bad practice not use mode ID when attempting to communicate with a protocol that's not easily recognized, it's a waste of time. It also sends the wrong message to new comers and it's certainly not the way to promote amateur radio to the public in a field day setting or at other public events.

This video explains the need for mode identifiers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkz0GNpA0I

Tony -K2MO

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

Join multipsk@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.