Re: #aero #aero

Roland Fechter

Thanks - this explains it all !

Cheers

Roland

Am 18.12.2018 um 19:01 schrieb gerrykuk via Groups.Io:

PS The cable is one meter long 73 Gerry

On 18/12/2018 17:16:21, Roland Fechter <fly-fechter@...> wrote:

Thanks - so they sell TRASH !

What is the signal strength OUTDOOR at your end ?

with or without LNA ?

How LONG is your cable - antenna head to your RX ?

Do you really use any of the 2 dongles I am going to have ?

INDOOR4D

Am 18.12.2018 um 15:24 schrieb gerrykuk via Groups.Io:
HI Roland I have got some A154 put on a oven tray indoors and only got 3dbs signal the blurb on web page does say for outdoor use.4.5v is plenty as it is 3v min.best practice for amplifies keep as close to antenna as you can maybe 5cm ant to stop +ve feedback they use very little current and therefore little voltage lose on ant. lead.Hope this helps.I am using a WorldSpace radio antenna with 1472 mhz sawfilter removed and link wire fitted 3-3v to2.8v gives rtcp and 2.2v to 2.5v gives lhcp at 75 ma max it is from a HITACHI KH-WS1 RADIO 70 Brt POUNDS Second hand 7db better than A154 and yuo get 10db by removing saw filter best removed by cutting out using electrisions cutters as a lot of heat required to remove it 73 Gerry  Roland Fechter <fly-fechter@...> wrote:
Hello,
I am going to receive an Airspy mini dongle and a RTL SDR v.3 with inbuilt Bias T.
I am definitely mostly interested in the L-band and in everything related to aircraft positions.
So I think Baud 1500 messages are of prime interest to me.
Now what I will retain as equipment is the SDR-Kits L-band patch antenna A154 for 1540 MHz band
plus the Nooelec Sawband LNA plus the two dongles mentioned above.
Length of my coax cable is abt. 15m 50% low loss and 50% RG.
I will no longer use my Funcube as I suspect that its  Bias T is defective.
I would like to profit from your experience - addressing me to experts having identical equipment and using it successfully for L-band AERO.
Both my new Dongles have the Bias T function - will the 4.5V they provide be sufficient in my case to power my A154 patch antenna  through my 15m cable ?
And - is it useful to also run the Nooelec sawband LNA ?
If so, where- at which place- to connect it ? Do I place it right behind my dongle/s ? If I do so, can I expect some "sapping" i.e. loss of voltage from the dongle/s
to my A154 patch antenna ? Will my patch antenna still get enough voltage "despite" my sawband LNA ??
I am aware of the fact that I go on asking questions which may make you "shake your head" but this is the only reasonable way for a..beginner to know for sure !
Again thank you for your patience and understanding !
I look forward to your advice.
.

l-band antenna A154 for g mng