Topics

Sticky Conductors #score-structure


Richard Mills
 

I have just created a score consisiting of a piano grand staff with a chord symbol stave below it and a conductor stave below that.

Having been setting the tempo on the conductor stave, when I move the focus to the chord stave, the conductor tab remains on the ribbon and I can't get the chord tab to show.  Closing Mozart, restarting it and reopening the file fixes it.

I have had this happen several times before in different files and I think I remember instances when the chord tab has got stuck on the ribbon.  It's not a big deal and there is an easy work around but with Mozart 15 in the offing, I thought it worth mentioning ;-)

Another thought relating to the conductor stave: - if you ask it to be dispalyed in a score where one is not present, the helpful option to add one is offered.  However, if you accept the offer, it is added at the top of the system, disrupting any midi channelsalready allocated.  Much better to add it at the bottom, I feel, where it won't have that effect.  I know matters relating to the conductor stave are up for major revision in Mozart 15, so this may be irrelevant!

Richard.


Richard Mills
 

I've just learned a bit more about how this problem can occur.  I had been working on the chord stave, so the chord tab was present on the ribbon.  I then used Layout / Conductor to show the conductor stave so that i could add a tempo change.  At this point both the chord and condutor tabs were on the ribbon.  I then used Layout /  Conductor to hide the conductor stave, ath which point, the chord tab went from the ribbon but the conductor tab remained and the chord tab does not reactivate when the focus is switched to the chord stave.
Once again, closing and reopening Mozart fixes it.


 

Hello Richard,

I've been trying to reproduce this problem without success, despite your very clear instructions.   I created the score as you did, and the conductor/chords/grand-staff tabs are appearing and disappearing exactly when they should.   It's possible I may have done something to Mozart14 in fixing other bugs which has had the side effect of fixing this one, so I'll release the next service pack and see if that fixes it for you - I have reasons for wanting to do it ASAP.     [Mozart 15, with luck, will not have a conductor tab: I'm trying to make it possible to do all the commands which apply to the conductor stave without you actually having to show the conductor stave, thus rendering it entirely transparent.  It'll be a great improvement if it works.]

On another score, I also checked the MIDI assignments on accepting the "Do you want a conductor stave".   This worked correctly for me too.

Before:


 

After:

 

So I'm baffled (again).   We'll have to see how it goes after the next Service Pack, which I'll get on with now.

Dave


Richard Mills
 

Hello Dave,

I'm not entirely surprised you didn't manage to reproduce the sticky conductor problem - it is somewhat random! Sometimes it works just fine and sometimes it doesn't  As an ex engineer I know just how difficult it is to fix problems that won't manifest themselves.  As you say, it will be interesting to see if the new service pack solves it - I've just received your group message that it's available and I'll install it tomorrow as I need to get out in the garden this afternoon,

As for the MIDI voicing issue, it is indeed OK.  I blame the fact that it was late in the day and I wasn't looking proprely - my bad as the younger generation say :-(

Richard.


Richard Mills
 

Hello Dave,

I've just installed the service pack and the conductor tab is behaving impeccably right now.  I'll keep an eye on it - fingers crossed!

Richard.


Richard Mills
 

Oh dear, it's done it again!

Yesterday I was working on a new score created on Monday and the conductor tab got stuck in place so that I could not access the chord tools when I moved the focus to a chord stave.

I tried Ctrl+F5, which said it had corrected a couple of bars but did not solve the problem.  Once again, closing and restating Mozart fixed it and the same file is working fine this morning.  Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't seem to be file related as it happpens in different flles created in different ways.

I thought I should update the latest status but I think getting to Mozart 15 is a better use of your time, Dave, than trying to fix this obscure niggle.

Richard.


 

Hello Richard,

If I could duplicate this 'feature' I'd try to fix it - as otherwise these things can bite one later.   But as I can't, I think you're right that Mozart 15 (which probably won't have a conductor tab) is the way forward.  Thanks for your understanding.

Dave