Topics

Strand Names not staying put #score-structure


Oonagh Griffith
 

Hi folks,
I am having trouble getting the strand names I enter to actually stay put, they keep reverting to default.
When I go to the "select strands" dialogue for playback, most of the strand names are blank so I have been trying to enter my own strand names to make life easier.

So, I go to Score Properties ->Strands tab -> Strands column
and I enter my names in that column, just like I usethe Staves column there to enter my own stave names (which always stay put just fine). 

Initially when I revisit Select Strands they all appear but after working on the score a bit more I go back and they have all reverted to default again.
It doesn't matter whether I enter just "long" or "long" ^ "short" the names I enter don't remain in place, something I am doing just wipes them out again.

I am using M14.0.18.0

Any ideas what I am dooing wrong or is there a bug?

--
Oonagh Griffith

Find Belfast Philharmonic Choir online...
   


 

I've been trying to reproduce this problem with no success so far.

I created a new score (with the NotePad option) with 4 staves, each with one strand.    I entered names for the strands, as you describe, and entered music, closed and opened the file, and the strand names seem to be fine.

If you'd like to send me your file, I'll be happy to take a look.

Dave

 

 


Mitch Park
 

I've noticed that strand names disappear when multiple strands are collaped onto a single stave, and are not restored on expanding.


Mitch Park
Hastings, NEW ZEALAND

On 30/01/2020 4:42 am, dave wrote:
I've been trying to reproduce this problem with no success so far.
I created a new score (with the NotePad option) with 4 staves, each with one strand.    I entered names for the strands, as you describe, and entered music, closed and opened the file, and the strand names seem to be fine.
...


 

Hi Mitch

Just to note that I've confirmed this.  It's on the fix-it list.

Dave

 


 

I have one improvement ready for the next service pack as follows.

When you replace an instrument with the Score Layout dialogue box (see attached), the corresponding stave and strand labels are changed to reflect the new instrument.    In the illustrated case this is fine: if the stave label said "flute" and you replace the flute by an oboe, it will be automatically changed to say 'oboe'.    However...

...in Oonagh's case, as I understand it, she had imported a file from another format, and of course it came without details of the instrumentation or any stave labels.   She had edited the stave labels to read S1, S2, A1, A2, … for sopranos, altos (and …) and returned *after* that to set the instrumentation.  Now if I reset the instrument from "<unnamed instrument>" to Soprano voice, this automatically replaces the already-user-defined label "S1" by "Soprano" - not what was wanted!

So I have tried to make Mozart slightly more intelligent when you replace an instrument.    In some cases it will replace the stave and strand label, and in some (including Oonagh's), it won't.     This change will be in the next service pack.  For now it's definitely best to check the instrumentation *before* defining stave names.     I'm still looking for other possible improvements which may be suggested by Oonagh's experience.

Dave