Topics

Separating/combining two strands for only part of a piece? #score-structure

Sonya Matoussova

Hi all,

I'm working on a score which has each of the upper string parts split into two sections for a small length of the piece. Is it possible to separate the strands for only that portion of the music? I can't seem to find a way to do it. It's either combined or separated for the whole piece.

Many thanks!

Here, in broad terms, is what you can do.    I'll suppose you have a violin part - which needs a "divisi" with the two lines on different staves.

Insert another stave beneath your violin stave (the Score layout command on the Score tab), containing one strand - which will consist of ghosts (hidden rests) initially.    In the divisi bars enter the 2nd part on the 2nd stave.

In the non-divisi bars, mark the 2nd stave as unwanted (the commands are in 'hidden staves' panel on the Layout tab).

If you need more detailed help, please just shout!

Dave

Sonya Matoussova

Thank you, Dave! That fixed it!