Topics

Window & roof light seals

Alan Morris

While commenting about Thetford seal lubricant, reminded me about a
problem with the roof light seals in my Hymer - another item on the
hate list!

If a roof light (or window) has not been opened for some time, the
rubber seal sticks to the light and comes away from it's proper place.

I was advised to use the Thetford seal lubricant, by spraying onto a
paper towel and then rubbing this onto the seal. Unfortunately, this
does not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Incidentally, this reminds me of another Hymer hate. Why design a
roof with a roof light over the bed? Roof vents can break or leak.

As a Boy Scout, the first golden rule I was taught about camping was
to keep ones bedding dry.

Alan.

M Stevenson

Hi,

I find that a little bit of talcum powder on the rubber window seals stops them sticking. Just apply sparingly with a finger. No fear of rotting the rubber.

Cheers
Max.

Neill King \(MH-List\)

Talc!

While commenting about Thetford seal lubricant, reminded me about a
problem with the roof light seals in my Hymer - another item on the
hate list!

If a roof light (or window) has not been opened for some time, the
rubber seal sticks to the light and comes away from it's proper place.

I was advised to use the Thetford seal lubricant, by spraying onto a
paper towel and then rubbing this onto the seal. Unfortunately, this
does not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Incidentally, this reminds me of another Hymer hate. Why design a
roof with a roof light over the bed? Roof vents can break or leak.

As a Boy Scout, the first golden rule I was taught about camping was
to keep ones bedding dry.

Not lubricant! Use, as I do, talcum powder.

TimS

On 27/09/2019, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
While commenting about Thetford seal lubricant, reminded me about a
problem with the roof light seals in my Hymer - another item on the
hate list!

If a roof light (or window) has not been opened for some time, the
rubber seal sticks to the light and comes away from it's proper place.

I was advised to use the Thetford seal lubricant, by spraying onto a
paper towel and then rubbing this onto the seal. Unfortunately, this
does not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Incidentally, this reminds me of another Hymer hate. Why design a
roof with a roof light over the bed? Roof vents can break or leak.

As a Boy Scout, the first golden rule I was taught about camping was
to keep ones bedding dry.

I'm Bazbro

Hi Max,
I actually prefer a very thin smear of silicon grease (a bit like Vaseline but not as sticky) available from plumber's merchants, B&Q, etc.  It's a very versatile lubricant, makes rubber seals like new again, stops plastics 'sticking', etc.
Barry

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019, 6:30 pm M Stevenson, <atcop.co@...> wrote:
Hi,

I find that a little bit of talcum powder on the rubber window seals stops them sticking. Just apply sparingly with a finger. No fear of rotting the rubber.

Cheers
Max.

Ernest Bull

On 27 Sep 2019, at 19:10, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Not lubricant! Use, as I do, talcum powder.

Maybe better, Gummi Pflege.
HTH
______

ErnB

I'm Bazbro

Gummi Pfledge looks really good.
Talc lasts about 5 mins!!
Silicon lasts all season.

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019, 8:57 pm Ernest Bull, <ernb32@...> wrote:
On 27 Sep 2019, at 19:10, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Not lubricant! Use, as I do, talcum powder.

Maybe better, Gummi Pflege.
HTH
______

On the plus side I love the large Hymer wind -up skylight.

Martin

On 27 Sep 2019, at 17:35, Alan Morris via Groups.Io <alan.g4ens=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

While commenting about Thetford seal lubricant, reminded me about a
problem with the roof light seals in my Hymer - another item on the
hate list!

If a roof light (or window) has not been opened for some time, the
rubber seal sticks to the light and comes away from it's proper place.

I was advised to use the Thetford seal lubricant, by spraying onto a
paper towel and then rubbing this onto the seal. Unfortunately, this
does not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Incidentally, this reminds me of another Hymer hate. Why design a
roof with a roof light over the bed? Roof vents can break or leak.

As a Boy Scout, the first golden rule I was taught about camping was
to keep ones bedding dry.

Gummi Pfledge looks really good.
Talc lasts about 5 mins!!
Silicon lasts all season.
I had in the past heard about using talc, but it was thought that the
modern product is not like the older talc, and possibly slightly
harmful.

Gummi Pfledge gets good reports, so have ordered some for delivery next week.

Many thanks for all who responded.

Alan

Alan Morris

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 22:34, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

On the plus side I love the large Hymer wind -up skylight.
I would agree Martin. One of many excellent design features of our Hymer.

Alan.