Which is the best club and breakdown cover.


Alan Morris
 

Having posted on the topic ''future plans question...', we are now
planning to get back on the road again.

As covid set-in, we stopped the Direct Debits for CCC and CMC. After
over a decade of ADAC, in the UK, we've now lost their cover.

We expect to re-join both clubs, to get the largest choice of CL/CS
possible. With a medium to large motorhome, a club breakdown service
is probably the best choice, but which club?

Also we did not renew with BritStops. So is it still viable with so
many pubs extending their outside seating for covid? Previously a
member for many years.

Alan.


Nigel Owen
 

Alan:

Check if your insurance company does recovery as an add on to your policy.  May work out cheaper.

Nigel.

On 16/08/2021 17:54, Alan Morris wrote:
Having posted on the topic ''future plans question...', we are now
planning to get back on the road again.

As covid set-in, we stopped the Direct Debits for CCC and CMC. After
over a decade of ADAC, in the UK, we've now lost their cover.

We expect to re-join both clubs, to get the largest choice of CL/CS
possible. With a medium to large motorhome, a club breakdown service
is probably the best choice, but which club?

Also we did not renew with BritStops. So is it still viable with so
many pubs extending their outside seating for covid? Previously a
member for many years.

Alan.




Carol Weaver
 

We gave up  CC but took it out again a year ago as they had the best travel insurance for us. Same this year so we will stay in

However we prefer CCC for their THS sites

Like you lost ADAC too so now with insurance with Saga

Carol

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 17:55, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
Having posted on the topic ''future plans question...', we are now
planning to get back on the road again.

As covid set-in, we stopped the Direct Debits for CCC and CMC.  After
over a decade of ADAC, in the UK, we've now lost their cover.

We expect to re-join both clubs, to get the largest choice of CL/CS
possible.  With a medium to large motorhome, a club breakdown service
is probably the best choice, but which club?

Also we did not renew with BritStops.  So is it still viable with so
many pubs extending their outside seating for covid?  Previously a
member for many years.

Alan.





--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Bennett Family
 

Alan wrote “ Also we did not renew with BritStops. So is it still viable with so
many pubs extending their outside seating for covid? Previously a
member for many years.”

Have a look at the Search4Sites App. Seems to have a lot of everything from pubs to Club Sites and everything in between.

Martin

On 16 Aug 2021, at 17:55, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:

Also we did not renew with BritStops. So is it still viable with so
many pubs extending their outside seating for covid? Previously a
member for many years.


Alan Morris
 

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 19:44, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Alan wrote “ Also we did not renew with BritStops
Have a look at the Search4Sites App. Seems to have a lot of everything from pubs to Club Sites and everything in between.
Thanks Martin. I did download the app sometime ago, but never used
it. It's now downloading all of it's images. Also looks good to me
on my laptop - preferred over a phone.

As you wrote, having clubs sites and others on the same map, is a big
advantage as one does not have to speen so much time producing
waypoint files for the GPS.

I'll hold back on Britstops renewal for now. It's major disadvantage
is that every year it changes every site's reference number, making it
difficult to keep track of locations over the years. A paper book has
some advantages, but can't be 'searched'.

Alan.


On 16 Aug 2021, at 17:55, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:

Also we did not renew with BritStops. So is it still viable with so
many pubs extending their outside seating for covid? Previously a
member for many years.




Carol Weaver
 

Hi Alan,

I use search for sites and park for night, both of these apps are brilliant. In search for sites you can build lists of trips, some of which we have used and some we plan to use.

On my iPhone are use these and on the search for sites app you can link the navigation into several different programs, I use the co-pilot truck which I bought for about £25. I find it very good I also use in conjunction my Garmin GPS.

As you may remember I was going to start British Passion, but in the end I didn’t get off the ground, and Steve contacted me about two years later enquiring whether I was still doing it. I explained what had happened and he was keen to start so I sent him all the stuff that I had got and those people that had agreed to join. In return he provides me with a free copy Every year.

We don’t stop in pubs much as at the end of the day it tends to cost more in as we like to spend a nice food when out.

Search for sites has a lot of them already . And as we know most pubs are pleased to have you park as long as you are going to spend money there. Although Brit Stops it’s supposed to be free it’s a sort of moral thing that you should drink or eat there which we always did . So unless you are people who like to eat and drink in pubs I wouldn’t bother rejoining.

I don’t take the computer away with me all the laptop all I take is my phone and my mini iPad but it’s my phone that is used all the time. I prefer it to search for sites on the web, but each to their own

Carol

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 22:24, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 19:44, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Alan wrote “ Also we did not renew with BritStops

> Have a look at the Search4Sites App. Seems to have a lot of everything from pubs to Club Sites and everything in between.

Thanks Martin.  I did download the app sometime ago, but never used
it.  It's now downloading all of it's images.  Also looks good to me
on my laptop - preferred over a phone.

As you wrote, having clubs sites and others on the same map, is a big
advantage as one does not have to speen so much time producing
waypoint files for the GPS.

I'll hold back on Britstops renewal for now.  It's major disadvantage
is that every year it changes every site's reference number, making it
difficult to keep track of locations over the years.  A paper book has
some advantages, but can't be 'searched'.

Alan.


> > On 16 Aug 2021, at 17:55, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
> >
> > Also we did not renew with BritStops.  So is it still viable with so
> > many pubs extending their outside seating for covid?  Previously a
> > member for many years.
>
>
>
>
>





--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Steve Pyke
 

Hi,

We have belonged to the CMC since '87 and CCC for 42 years (actually longer but we missed a couple of years when our kids came along - we couldn't afford the subs!)

We stayed at Henley and Warwick CMC sites in May this year which were fairly full, but due to a health problem have only been for days out since then. We cancelled a planned trip for September. With the CMC that was easy as no deposit was needed. The CCC would normally keep the £25 deposit, actually £50 as we had two separate bookings, but have let us rebook for next year at a site, just picked at random for now. The main site fees are very similar and often in excess of £30 a night with hookup and hard standing in anything but low season. The CCC annual sub is half price for veterans like us.

Due to possibly inept management the CCC have closed nine sites for the rest of the year at very short notice due to a lack of site managers. Some members who had booked months ago were given about a week's notice so the chances of finding alternative pitches for August would be zilch. Rumour has it that they moved staff to zero hours contracts and a lot left. Heaven knows how much income in site fees they have lost, and a lot of goodwill. No mention of this in the last cheery newsletter!

In the past we have mainly based our UK trips on temporary holiday sites, CLs and CSs but their prices are going up and some commercial sites are good value especially in the low season. We have never tried Britstops as we rarely eat out.

I hope we will get back to touring once the NHS sort me out. We have half considered downsizing from our compact coach-built which we love, but having looked at a couple of rising roof vans at the weekend in a local dealer at crazy prices, I'm not convinced. If only height barriers were banned!

 Take care and enjoy your travels

Steve


timsinc Sinclair
 

Steve, I was twice on Four Oaks, Henley, in May (5 - 8th; 25 - 28th).
Been frequent visitor there as have friends in the area, including
ones I used as my "home" address.

I agree, pitch fees seem to have gone through the roof. Except for
when I need laundry facilities I'm now avoiding the club sites - most
certificated ones and some others found on Searchforsites half the
price. And more likely to have spaces. And be quieter.

I once had a pop-up camper (California) but big drawback no on-board
built-in loo. Definitely not suit my bladder these days!

TimS

PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
£60pa on top of the insurance premium.

On 17/08/2021, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

We have belonged to the CMC since '87 and CCC for 42 years (actually longer
but we missed a couple of years when our kids came along - we couldn't
afford the subs!)

We stayed at Henley and Warwick CMC sites in May this year which were fairly
full, but due to a health problem have only been for days out since then. We
cancelled a planned trip for September. With the CMC that was easy as no
deposit was needed. The CCC would normally keep the £25 deposit, actually
£50 as we had two separate bookings, but have let us rebook for next year at
a site, just picked at random for now. The main site fees are very similar
and often in excess of £30 a night with hookup and hard standing in anything
but low season. The CCC annual sub is half price for veterans like us.

Due to possibly inept management the CCC have closed nine sites for the rest
of the year at very short notice due to a lack of site managers. Some
members who had booked months ago were given about a week's notice so the
chances of finding alternative pitches for August would be zilch. Rumour has
it that they moved staff to zero hours contracts and a lot left. Heaven
knows how much income in site fees they have lost, and a lot of goodwill. No
mention of this in the last cheery newsletter!

In the past we have mainly based our UK trips on temporary holiday sites,
CLs and CSs but their prices are going up and some commercial sites are good
value especially in the low season. We have never tried Britstops as we
rarely eat out.

I hope we will get back to touring once the NHS sort me out. We have half
considered downsizing from our compact coach-built which we love, but having
looked at a couple of rising roof vans at the weekend in a local dealer at
crazy prices, I'm not convinced. If only height barriers were banned!

Take care and enjoy your travels

Steve
--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*


Bennett Family
 

Tim >
PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
£60pa on top of the insurance premium.
I renewed my insurance with Comfort earlier this month and, after a discussion with a helpful lady there, my premium was reduced from £451 to £328 mainlly due to me reducing my likely annual mileage to 6k (from 8k) and reducing the value of the vehicle to under £75k. It’s a Fiat Carthago c-Compactline i143. Nationwide (Bank) cover recovery.

Martin
On 17 Aug 2021, at 16:37, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:


PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
£60pa on top of the insurance premium.


Bennett Family
 



Tim >
PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
£60pa on top of the insurance premium.
I renewed my insurance with Comfort earlier this month and, after a discussion with a helpful lady there, my premium was reduced from £451 to £328 mainlly due to me reducing my likely annual mileage to 6k (from 8k) and reducing the value of the vehicle to under £75k. It’s a Fiat Carthago c-Compactline i143. Nationwide (Bank) cover recovery.

Martin
On 17 Aug 2021, at 16:37, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:


PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
£60pa on top of the insurance premium.


timsinc Sinclair
 

I've just had a £360 rebate from Comfort - half way through the year
covered. That's because now got a proper home address. So next year's
premium £600+ less. Yes, easy to work out from that that fulltime
cover anything but cheap!

TimS

On 17/08/2021, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:


Tim >
PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
£60pa on top of the insurance premium.
I renewed my insurance with Comfort earlier this month and, after a
discussion with a helpful lady there, my premium was reduced from £451 to
£328 mainlly due to me reducing my likely annual mileage to 6k (from 8k) and
reducing the value of the vehicle to under £75k. It’s a Fiat Carthago
c-Compactline i143. Nationwide (Bank) cover recovery.

Martin
On 17 Aug 2021, at 16:37, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:


PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
£60pa on top of the insurance premium.










--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*


Carol Weaver
 

It was always expensive but that means your rental came good. Pleased you found somewhere. Now council tax instead!

Carol

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 17:58, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
I've just had a £360 rebate from Comfort - half way through the year
covered. That's because now got a proper home address. So next year's
premium £600+ less. Yes, easy to work out from that that fulltime
cover anything but cheap!

TimS

On 17/08/2021, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
>>
>> Tim >
>> PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
>> £60pa on top of the insurance premium.
>
> I renewed my insurance with Comfort earlier this month and,  after a
> discussion with a helpful lady there, my premium was reduced from £451 to
> £328 mainlly due to me reducing my likely annual mileage to 6k (from 8k) and
> reducing the value of the vehicle to under £75k. It’s a Fiat Carthago
> c-Compactline i143. Nationwide (Bank) cover recovery.
>
> Martin
>> On 17 Aug 2021, at 16:37, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
>>
>>
>> PS, to keep on topic, my breadown cover is with Comfort - an extra
>> £60pa on top of the insurance premium.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*





--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Alan Morris
 

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 09:52, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

I use search for sites and park for night, both of these apps are brilliant. In search for sites you can build lists of trips, some of which we have used and some we plan to use.
I need to spend some time investigating both websites. In the past
(before my wife's health temporarily stopped travelling), I collected
many websites and apps. But did not fully investigate them at that
time.

On my iPhone are use these and on the search for sites app you can link the navigation into several different programs, I use the co-pilot truck which I bought for about £25. I find it very good I also use in conjunction my Garmin GPS.
The Zentec built-in GPS navigator in the Hymer is the best navigator,
with very good voice assistance such as, "the speed limit is thirty
miles per hour" when one's speed creeps up to 31mph. Unlike Garmin's
warning that you are travelling at 25mph in a 30mph zone, which is so
annoying. But only useful for navigating from where one is to a
postcode. No waypoints etc. My Garmin GPSmap 276Cx is probably the
best featured GPSr.

As you may remember I was going to start British Passion,
Yes I remember you handing over your embryo British Passion. Shame he
did not embrace a wider variety of location types as with Passion
France, which we used for most official NHs in France. i.e. apart
from unlisted wild places.

We don’t stop in pubs much as at the end of the day it tends to cost more in as we like to spend a nice food when out.
We are not pub folk, but enjoy using pubs for full meals and using BS
means we can both enjoy wine with the meal.

And as we know most pubs are pleased to have you park as long as you are going to spend money there. Although Brit Stops it’s supposed to be free it’s a sort of moral thing that you should drink or eat there which we always did .
We had a favourite pub enroute to Dover from East Anglia, were we
stopped before BS got going.


Alan Morris
 

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 16:40, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

I renewed my insurance with Comfort earlier this month and, after a discussion with a helpful lady there, my premium was reduced from £451 to £328 mainlly due to me reducing my likely annual mileage to 6k (from 8k) and reducing the value of the vehicle to under £75k. It’s a Fiat Carthago c-Compactline i143.
That's interesting Martin. I renewed at the beginning of July into my
6th year with Comfort. But had a different response with a lady.

No I can't reduce my annual mileage as I'm already at the lowest which
is 8k. Today's MOT certificate shows the mileage for 5 years and 1
month at 3,179 miles. So I've paid for 40k and had less than 4k.
Vehicle value is £65k. Just two named drivers - self and wife.

Premium was £343.85 with their maximum NCD.

Not very consistent!

Alan.


Carol Weaver
 

 

Alan the mediacentre in ours is useless. May as well not be there. Hence why use both Garmin and CoPilot. 

Steve has tried to get various others and has quite a lot of farm shops but like me trying to get farmers on board is proving hard

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 21:45, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 09:52, Carol Weaver <corconx@...>




The Zentec built-in GPS navigator in the Hymer is the best navigator,
with very good voice assistance such as, "the speed limit is thirty
miles per hour" when one's speed creeps up to 31mph.  Unlike Garmin's
warning that you are travelling at 25mph in a 30mph zone, which is so
annoying.  But only useful for navigating from where one is to a
postcode.  No waypoints etc.  My Garmin GPSmap 276Cx is probably the
best featured GPSr.

> As you may remember I was going to start British Passion,

Yes I remember you handing over your embryo British Passion.  Shame he
did not embrace a wider variety of location types as with Passion
France, which we used for most official NHs in France.  i.e. apart
from unlisted wild places.

> We don’t stop in pubs much as at the end of the day it tends to cost more in as we like to spend a nice food when out.

We are not pub folk, but enjoy using pubs for full meals and using BS
means we can both enjoy wine with the meal.

> And as we know most pubs are pleased to have you park as long as you are going to spend money there. Although Brit Stops it’s supposed to be free it’s a sort of moral thing that you should drink or eat there which we always did .

We had a favourite pub enroute to Dover from East Anglia, were we
stopped before BS got going.





--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4