Topics

Was airconditioning now Carol/lockdown/Spain/France

Louisa Livingstone

Hi Carol, nice to hear from you! The lockdown in Spain was rather terrifying being alone as someone who gets human contact with people simply by nipping out to various ordinary places as and when, and what with the continual threat of 600 euro fines if you couldn't prove you were  going to the nearest supermarket for food (singly of course) the only thing allowed for 7 weeks for adults - not even a walk etc (if you had a dog you were told you had to only take it out and in again for it's toilet, not walk it!). Children weren't even allowed outside at all, not allowed to accompany a parent to the supermarket.. or go anywhere at all  However they, at 6 weeks into it were finally allowed outside for an hour within 1 km of home with one adult which helped them and the parent. International scrutiny on Spain's lockdown was then happening which may have helped. At 7 weeks of virtual incarceration all adults ie those without children were also allowed outside for a walk within 1km for an hour for exercise. So that helped, as people were getting terribly stressed. I heard of two local expat suicides too. It's abnormal to say the least being unable to even have a walk. People wer also being told continually they can't go shopping frequently and might get checked, you couldn't make it up. The local town halls and police had videos on Facebook showing military and police road blocks and helicopters flying over remote mountainous countryside making sure nobody was out *anywhere* ..and talking about all the people they'd fined and 600 euros too, including lone people out wit a their dogs! So apart from the issue of any potential illness it was like WW3 and felt like very threatening martial law all of a sudden. I'm the most law abiding person and was terrified. What if I couldn't prove why I was out on my way to the supermarket? Very relieved to be on the other side of all that now. I'm now in the vulnerable category agewise although I look after my health, and I felt far more threatened and terrified by the extreme form of lockdown which felt inhumane, than any virus. People were all getting terribly distressed. Children in Spain really suffered and it was also hard for  the non driving halves of couples who couldn't accompany their driving spouses to the nearest supermarket, as only 1 person, the driver, was allowed in a car anytime... and food shopping was the only way of getting out for all that time so they couldn't even do that. At least couples had each other but I'm sure domestic violence soared too. You'd hear about not only about road blocks but also police checks of residence address at supermarkets too in case anyone dreamt of going to a different supermarket further away. It was extremely martial.

Actually it made me yearn for French soil and culture, having been born there and being half French, the other half British, it's so much more civilised there than Spain in many nice ways, (apart from lockdown which I gather was no picnic there either) for actually living long term as a solo foreign woman (I could and may write a book about my Spanish experiences along the lines of a horror story!). Even if not quite as sunny (a blessed relief in summer actually when temps can reach 40+C and people in the south flock north or to beaches wherever possible) France has been calling.. I was looking at rock bottom cheap places in France online and using Google maps to wander through various areas around central and SW France looking at various villages and roads and uploaded photos, and I recall seeing one of yours, I noticed your name and thought of you! I almost contacted you.. Can't remember where it was now exactly but how did you like your trips through France? I no longer have my motorhome so I've been fantasizing about ways to turn my Renault Kangoo into a mini camper.. but who knows, just feeling somewhat exhausted at the moment and enjoying being a lot more free with my 4 dogs!

Where did you like best on your French travels? How did you cope with lockdown in UK? I get a sense of mass confusion in UK.

Looking forward to hearing your news Carol

Louisa x

Carol Weaver

Replied off list as didn’t think you’d all want to read it

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 07:49, Louisa Livingstone <louisalivingstone@...> wrote:
[...]

That sounds horrendous, Louisa. I think the cure is going to turn out worse than the disease with the virtual shut down of health services other than for covid-19 whichever country they are in.

Peter S