Topics

Visiting Lille

Tim Atkinson

I've been looking for a spot to park up whilst visiting Lille...

We used to use the aire in the Decathlon campus which is no longer there, and it felt like we were pushing our luck when we last used it 4-5 years ago, so I was wondering if anyone had any recently verified suggestions of somewhere?

Not too keen on parking right in the centre so we don't mind if it's some distance away with even half decent public transport links

Thanks

Cheers

--Tim A

Sandytrax

Hi Tim
I assume you use searchforsites and/or park4night? Lots of suggestions there.
But I can’t verify any of them.
Happy travels
Brian

On 3 Feb 2020, at 08:56, Tim Atkinson <tim@...> wrote:

I've been looking for a spot to park up whilst visiting Lille...

We used to use the aire in the Decathlon campus which is no longer there, and it felt like we were pushing our luck when we last used it 4-5 years ago, so I was wondering if anyone had any recently verified suggestions of somewhere?

Not too keen on parking right in the centre so we don't mind if it's some distance away with even half decent public transport links

Thanks

Cheers

--Tim A

Carol Weaver

Tim only one showing up in S4S this morning

Carol

On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 at 08:56, Tim Atkinson <tim@...> wrote:
I've been looking for a spot to park up whilst visiting Lille...

We used to use the aire in the Decathlon campus which is no longer
there, and it felt like we were pushing our luck when we last used it
4-5 years ago, so I was wondering if anyone had any recently verified
suggestions of somewhere?

Not too keen on parking right in the centre so we don't mind if it's
some distance away with even half decent public transport links

Thanks

Cheers

--Tim A

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Ernest Bull

On 3 Feb 2020, at 08:56, Tim Atkinson <tim@...> wrote:

've been looking for a spot to park up whilst visiting Lille...

Nothing on my “old faithful” Camping Car Infos
But I did find this, from 4 years ago, on some MH chat site: -

If you Google Street maps you'll see a few MH parked on Avenue du Petit Paradis (50.64417 3.05049) just off the main D750 close to the well signposted Citadelle.

If you come in on the E42 motorway it's a short drive to the Citadelle and you avoid the City Centre and the narrow roads of the Old Town.
It's about a 15 minute stroll, central Lille is as flat as a pancake, to the centre of Lille where most of the big stores and restaurants are waiting for tourists.
This parking is almost certainly okay for overnighting as well as during the day but it's better to have a Plan B.
Lille is one of the few places in France not to have a designated Aire and, as far as I know, the nearest place to stay is in Tournai just over the border in Belgium.
The Aire is on Esplande Georges Grand (50.604885, 3.380732) at Tournai
There are great rail links into Lille by train and Metro and Tournai may be your better option.
HTH
ErnB

Derek Sims

Hi Tim

We visited Lille in 2012, using our favoured method for visiting a city abroad if there's no aire - find a small town on a suburban railway route into the city at about the right distance. In this caseIt was a town to the south of Lille called Seclin. We slept overnight in the station car park, no trouble, then parked down the road and took the train into Lille and on our return in the afternoon we drove to a nice France Passion farm at Mareuil Sur Ay.

Interesting city, but don't leave your camera on a bench in the city centre unless you want to claim a new one on your insurance - mine lasted 15 seconds and disappeared without trace. The police were quite hostile when we went to report it - I think all they thought was that we wanted a new camera on our insurance. Fortunately we were only a couple of days into our trip, but I now have no photos of Lille, and spent the rest of a two month trip taking photos on an HP IPAQ, so not great quality.

HTH

Derek