UPDATE GARMIN

Carol Weaver

Had email tonight they are giving me a refund!!!  Good will gesture

Well done Garmin.

so what to get now

It must be updatable on a Mac

Your thoughts. I’ve only really used Garmin
But would be interested in your thoughts

Ernest Bull

On 22 Dec 2020, at 19:59, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

so what to get now

For reliability, most intuitive to use, most useful features and goes well with a Mac, it must be a TomTom, Carol. I always regretted buying the Garmin and the Navman. Indeed, I kept a tiny TomTom ONE in the glove box as a back up and it came in handy more than once. I think the TomTom's most useful feature was <Browse the Map> and tap the screen to get a precise destination. My last was a 620, I think.

HTH

Ernie

Carol Weaver

Cheers Ernie

Happy Christmas to you and Margaret. Hope you are both keeping well

Carol

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 at 21:51, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
On 22 Dec 2020, at 19:59, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

so what to get now

For reliability, most intuitive to use, most useful features and goes well with a Mac, it must be a TomTom, Carol. I always regretted buying the Garmin and the Navman. Indeed, I kept a tiny TomTom ONE in the glove box as a back up and it came in handy more than once. I think the TomTom's most useful feature was <Browse the Map> and tap the screen to get a precise destination. My last was a 620, I think.

HTH

Ernie

Trouble is reviews of newer models don’t look good can’t see if they are now updateable with Mac - they are using android like the new garmin’s which is the problem

On 22 Dec 2020, at 22:22, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Trouble is reviews of newer models don’t look good can’t see if they are now updateable with Mac - they are using android like the new garmin’s which is the problem

OH! Things may have changed. I think TomTom MyDrive may be 32bits and the latest Mac OSs are 64bits. I am trying to check, but there seems to be some confusion. Some even suggest that Java has some influence on things.

Shame that. I’ll look some more.
_______

ErnB

Ernest Bull

On 23 Dec 2020, at 07:20, I wrote:

OH! Things may have changed.

Just found this on a forum did July:

All by sudden on my TomTom Home I received that there has been a critical update for TomTom Home and I cannot use TomTom Home anymore on my Mac Mojave. I downloaded the latest TomTom Home (ver number unknown as I cannot see it during the download/installation process), but as I tried to install it, message appears "Failure - installation cannot proceed, as not all requirements were met."
Without being told which requirements, I guess TomTom no longer supports Mac Mojave. Some time ago, I asked them if they support Mac Catalina and they haven't supported so far. I don't understand why now suddenly TomTom forces me to upgrade my OS Mojave (still officially supported by Apple) to Catalina. They should support old/new OS in parallel for some period.... I don't want to upgrade to Catalina yet. And I would never upgrade OS just for one application.

Sad, that. Mind you, I am on OS 10.14.6 and a whole lot more than than just MyDrive will not run or run properly. It’s getting to be a bit of a drag, but one has to book ahead to visit an Apple store.
_______

ErnB

Brent

Hi all

Carol aren't the new TT's updated by wifi or do you mean some other updates?

Best wishes  stay safe

Carol Weaver

The maps can be updated by WiFi but my bb is very slow here but you cannot add POI’s back up etc. So useless. Garmin have now amended their website.

It has an android something in it these days and they are not interested in Macs.

Carol

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 07:35, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
Hi all

Carol aren't the new TT's updated by wifi or do you mean some other updates?

Best wishes  stay safe

Yes I noticed yesterday when looking as your suggested that they too have gone android way as Garmin!!

Am now,after a lot of research, decided that going via the Xgody route is probably only way  to go.

I have asked on the Nozatec Facebook page and apparently a guy does use his with a Mac ok

Not going to be as good  as updates via Garmin but hopefully it will work ok.

Cheaper on eBay but Amazon have it too and if no good I stand a better chance if money back with them

Think it will be the way to go

Carol

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 07:32, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
On 23 Dec 2020, at 07:20, I wrote:

[...]

Buff and Hugh

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 07:59 PM, Carol Weaver wrote:
Your thoughts. I’ve only really used Garmin
Have you tried using Google Maps for navigation? We've been trying it out for a few months and have been using it exclusively for several weeks now to test how well it works hands free. Using voice commands on an Android phone we're finding it works remarkably well .... it's very responsive, it recognises even quite obscure destinations and seems to navigate just as effectively as our old TomTom. I don't know whether voice commands work on an iPhone ... perhaps it's worth getting a cheap Android phone just for navigation (!) ... the one I've got cost £129 and is better than the top of the range phone it replaced.

Our SatNav device is still a 13 year old TomTom which usually works fine but is a bit crotchety. When I looked to replace it two or three years ago I found that on newer models it no longer seems to be possible to load custom POIs and advice on forums from ex-TomTom users was ironically that I should replace it with Garmin!

Hugh

Carol Weaver

YES have frequently tried it when out and about, but it doesn't input size and it uses data abroad, which as you know isn't a good thing, but you can download maps, for offline, but that takes up space on a phone.

I do prefer a sat nav.

Carol

Click here  For Motorhome Owners here is a link to photographs of aires, stellplatz, chateaux, wargraves, NT properties etc.

CLICK HERE  TO BEST ALLROUND PROVIDER PLUSNET

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 11:45, Buff and Hugh via groups.io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

timsinc Sinclair

Buff and Hugh via groups.io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

found that on newer [TomTom] models it no longer seems to be possible to load custom
POIs
You certainly can with the TomTom Go Navigation app on phone. I have
campsites and aires downloaded from various websites on mine (be it
Android!). Bit of a fiddle installing in right folder, though.

Personally hate Google maps navigation. From its very opening
instruction: Head east (or any other compass point).... but sun's not
out, which b way is East? That's city centre walking ...and often not
to be seen on any building the street name. In the van the voice
instructions very badly timed. TomTom (and assume Garmin) so much
better and clearer.

Do wonder with all this talk of operating systems and favourite
sat-navs that we old dogs not keen on new tricks and now getting brain
arthritis just like to stick with what we know (from good ol' days) -
like my path from a Compaq to Navman then TomTom; DOS to Windows to
Android.

TimS

On 23/12/2020, Buff and Hugh via groups.io
[...]

Elwyn

On 23/12/2020 09:36, Carol Weaver wrote:
Yes I noticed yesterday when looking as your suggested that they too have gone android way as Garmin!!
Am now,after a lot of research, decided that going via the Xgody route is probably only way  to go.
I have asked on the Nozatec Facebook page and apparently a guy does use his with a Mac ok
Yes, but you need to verify that he has the same Mac as you. The previous Garmin you had worked on the older Mac but not the new one you have.

So specify the exact model you have, that it is 64 bit only and NOT 32 bit at all!

Elwyn

Carol Weaver

Hi. Well. After spending an evening and next morning talking to a Superuser on Ton Ton’s community I have established that the TomTom Camper will work (by adding POIs to MyDrive on the web) not the app and it will then send them via WiFi to gps

So I ordered one - choosing to pay more via Amazon as nowhere could you speak to a real person at TomTom and I reckoned if all wasn’t as hoped Amazon would take a return without problems

It arrives tomorrow

It’s a shame that main gps manufacturers are not supporting Mac these days

But I take your point about model Elwyn

Carol