UK Passports

Don Madge

I'm trying to find out if I will have to get a new UK passport before I can visit the EU.
I've tried a google search but I'm not having much luck.
regards
Don

charlie.green@...

All the guidance you need is here.

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

Don Madge

Thanks Charlie, I did not word that very well. What I meant was can we still use our EU passports or will I have to get a UK one.
I tried your link but I just scrambled my brain.

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 19:59, <charlie.green@...> wrote:
If it has less than 6 months to run after the day you get back to the UK, then yes you will need to get a new Passport before you go.

This link might help

https://www.gov.uk/transition

charlie.green@...

Current EU/UK Passport is OK for use provided it has more than 6 months left on it. In other words you don't have to get a new one until your old one runs out. Unless you want a Blue one in which case you can renew anytime.

Don Madge

Thanks Charlie mine expires in Oct 23. I'll wait and see what happens this year.
Don

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 20:15, <charlie.green@...> wrote:
Current EU/UK Passport is OK for use provided it has more than 6 months left on it. In other words you don't have to get a new one until your old one runs out. Unless you want a Blue one in which case you can renew anytime.

Alan Morris

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 20:15, <charlie.green@outlook.com> wrote:

Current EU/UK Passport is OK for use provided it has more than 6 months left on it. In other words you don't have to get a new one until your old one runs out. Unless you want a Blue one in which case you can renew anytime.
However beware of renewing too early.

Previously, if renewing within a certain period of time prior to
expiry (I now can't remember how long!), the new passport start was
similar to an MOT - you retained the same day and month of expiry.

Then without any announcement (i.e. by stealth) they changed their
rules. Now renewal is immediate, so one loses possibly 3 months.
Effectively increasing the cost of a passport, as it's life is reduced
from the 10 years.

Alan.

M Stevenson

However, be aware that they now only accept a passport as being valid for ten years from date of issue.
So those extra months tacked onto the end don't count towards the six remaining months.

Max

timsinc Sinclair

Divide cost of passport renewal by 10 years in months, each month
costs you about 60p.

I was happy to pay the £1.80 for 'lost' three months to ensure I
wouldn't be caught up in the inevitable delays when there's sudden
rush to renew passports post-Covid as everyone realises they can
travel abroad again.

TimS

On 18/01/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 20:15, <charlie.green@outlook.com> wrote:

Current EU/UK Passport is OK for use provided it has more than 6 months
left on it. In other words you don't have to get a new one until your old
one runs out. Unless you want a Blue one in which case you can renew
anytime.
However beware of renewing too early.

Previously, if renewing within a certain period of time prior to
expiry (I now can't remember how long!), the new passport start was
similar to an MOT - you retained the same day and month of expiry.

Then without any announcement (i.e. by stealth) they changed their
rules. Now renewal is immediate, so one loses possibly 3 months.
Effectively increasing the cost of a passport, as it's life is reduced
from the 10 years.

David Scholes

Exactly!

David

On 19 Jan 2021, at 11:25, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Just Tim, I concluded the same and sent mine off yesterday despite still having 6 months (just) remaining.

Martin