Topics

Travelling to Greece

Sandytrax

Hi Folks,
We are setting off on a three month trip to Greece next week.
I did the trip solo in 2007 but things may have changed.
We are taking the Brittany Ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff, which may not be ideal but is convenient. And I hate driving to and from Dover.
I've google and viamichelin mapped various routes.
I'm hoping to avoid tolls as far as possible, which could be very expensive.
A nice route would be down through France to the Mont Blanc tunnel but it seems to cost around £60 for the tunnel.
Previously I went via Switzerland which I loved. I don't recall any tolls (apart from the  £30 Vignette) in getting down to Italy. So I think that's a good way to go. There's a tunnel, can't remember its name but I'll google for it. I think it's free.
So I'm planning to head for Lucern and then down to Milan, Bologna and Bari for the ferry to Greece.
I did this before and I don't remember expensive tolls but I think it's quite expensive now.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for but if any of you good folks have some helpful thoughts, I'd welcome them.
Thanks.
Cheers
Brian

Keith Smith

Brian
We went to Greece May last year - I’ve put together a quick summary of our route and stopping places.

We crossed Dover to Calais but you can modify your route, as you’re going to Roscoff, to head across country towards Briancon, the stops prior are for information should you decide to head for Dover/Calais. You can do this journey on fairly decent Route National roads, but the peage is quicker - first stop was via Luxembourg to Metz (N49.12384 E6.16909) €2 overnight, then Metz to Bourg-en-Bresse (N46.20887 E5.239305) - free, Bourg-en- Bresse to Sassenage (N45.214 E5.6692) - free, from there to Briancon (N44.89014 E6.62947) - free. Over the pass via Montgenevre (where you cross the border into Italy) you can head for the peage shortly after this to head for Turin (or continue on the N road) and on past Turin to Alessandria (N44.9207 E8.62725) - free. Although there is a fairly decent National Road across, from there I would suggest you pick up the peage and head towards Modena (N44.6532 E10.9096) - free, then Bologna and continue on towards the coast at Rimini  (N44.06037 E12.57616) - €10. Follow the coast road or the peage to Ancona (Sosta at Auchan store - N43.552 E13.515) - free, also has cheap fuel and you can stock up on foodstuffs if you need to. Continue south towards Bari, there is an ACSI campsite about 40Km from the port at Bisceglie (Camping La Batteria - N41.255665 E16.480671) - can’t remember the cost, but it was not a lot!
About an hour to Bari ferry port, we travelled with the van using the “camping on deck” crossing to Patras via Igoumenitsa - the ferry puts in there about 05:00 for a very short stop and gets to Patras about mid-day.
Italian tolls are reasonably inexpensive compared to the French, so I would recommend you use them unless you have a fairly slow journey in mind.
Keith

On 10 Feb 2020, at 15:19, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:

[...]

Bennett Family

Keith,

How long did you take to get to Bari?
Did you consider taking the ferry from Ancona?

Martin

On 10 Feb 2020, at 15:38, Keith Smith via Groups.Io <tasman2405@...> wrote:

[...]

As we wandered a bit down on the journey down to Bari it took us 9 days from Dover, never considered travelling via Ancona as there was a group of us touring Greece together (making our way separately to Bari).

Keith

On 10 Feb 2020, at 18:22, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

[...]

My sister-in-law lives on Crete and we keep thinking about a trip.

Many years ago (1989) we took our old Hymer to Venice and went on the Orient Express Cruise Ship. It did a circular tour and you stopped at Patras, Istanbul,Kussdasi & Patmos where you could take the van off and then pick up the ship after a few weeks. We picked it up 2 weeks later after disembarking at Kusadassi  and touring around Turkey.

The ship was commandeered for the first Gulf war I think. It had previously been a North Seas Ferry - hence the space for vans. I don’t think it was ever reintroduced but similar ferries do operate although possibly   not as “grand”.

Martin

Martin Bennett

On 10 Feb 2020, at 18:26, Keith Smith via Groups.Io <tasman2405@...> wrote:

[...]

David Scholes

Concerning the prices of motorways in France.

https://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/les-principaux-tarifs.htm

This page is part of a large web site run by ASFA which is the autoroute owners body in France. It seems to be forced to publish its tariffs but hates doing it so it hides them within this site. But if you hunt a lot using the search facility then eventually you can find them. I am attaching a file at the end of this which is a pdf of the group 2 tariffs (3.5 ton Motorhome) for most of the network.

Even when you find the pages it is still hard work sorting them out.

David

On 10 Feb 2020, at :1856, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Weaver

Definitely not an easy one

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 14:28, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:
[...]

Attachments:

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Neill King \(MH-List\)

I’m guessing that chains will be obligatory at this time of year?

(Though I don’t know that particular pass).

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

[...]

Quite possibly Neil, but as we crossed in August I wasn’t too concerned 🤗

[...]

Ah yes but the OP is going next week!

[...]

Have you had a look at magbaztravels.com? Lots of info etc on there and they're pretty good at responding to direct contact

Keith Smith

Neil

Further to my reply on snow chains for a trip down through and into Italy....

We were talking last night and both of us remembered seeing signs throughout the Italian section showing that snow chains or winter tyres were obligatory between October and April.

Keith

[...]

andyowl2004

French Autoroute tariff info is very helpful. Thank you.

Andy O

Ernest Bull

Brian wrote:

I'm not sure what I'm asking for but if any of you good folks have some helpful thoughts, I'd welcome them.

For all MH route planning I always fell back upon two websites;

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes to plan my routes between them. I note that it has got a lot cleverer since I last looked. A pity that it only works 100% for cars, but it should not be long before they include the white van marques used by MH manufacturers.

HTH
_________

ErnB

Sandytrax

Thanks all for your helpful responses.
I hope to decide on my planned route today.
cheers

Brian