Travelling in the UK

Richard

We would normally go away June and July to France and further East
however even though fully vaccinated we are not sure of what sort of
welcome we might get both there and on our return!
So we are considering Motor-homing in the UK this year. We tend to use
pubs for overnights in the UK but obviously that can give a problem with
obtaining fresh water and dumping grey and black water. Which of the
groups are best to join to use CL's or their equivalent? We will
probably be travelling from Gloucestershire, to Lincolnshire,
Northumberland, Edinburgh, Dunoon, Barr, Llandudno, home.
BTW for trackers take a look at "Rewire Security".
Regards to all
Richard

timsinc Sinclair

Both the CCC and CMC list loads of certificate places, which I'm
finding in these Covid times more likely to have spaces than the club
main ones. But you can't say which turn out to be the best as I've
found they all vary from fantastic to awful, basic (just a field) to
amazingly equipped. Some more expensive than actual club sites.

What I'd do is use the Search for Sites website which lists and
describes nearly all the club ones as well as, of course, many private
ones including pubs with facilities. If you do pick club certificated
ones, you do have to be a member though.

TimS

On 22/04/2021, Richard <edelec@gmx.com> wrote:
We would normally go away June and July to France and further East
however even though fully vaccinated we are not sure of what sort of
welcome we might get both there and on our return!
So we are considering Motor-homing in the UK this year. We tend to use
pubs for overnights in the UK but obviously that can give a problem with
obtaining fresh water and dumping grey and black water. Which of the
groups are best to join to use CL's or their equivalent? We will
probably be travelling from Gloucestershire, to Lincolnshire,
Northumberland, Edinburgh, Dunoon, Barr, Llandudno, home.
BTW for trackers take a look at "Rewire Security".
Regards to all
Richard

I agree with Tim, we are members of the caravan and camping club commonly known as a CCC, we are presently members of the CAMC, formerly known as the caravan club and as by most of us as the CC.

I say currently because we only rejoined for the travel insurance in August last year and probably will not rejoin this year.

As Tims says the campsites themselves are expensive, and in our working days back in the 90s will you see use the cc all the time. We now find ourselves lost in the UK during the summer months using the CCC, THS  (temporary holiday sites) these are basic generally in a farmers field or a rugby club where you can jump your Blackwater and get freshwater and usually check your grey in the hedge. These run in price for a unit and two adults between about £7 and £12. They are generally for about 3 to 4 weeks,  They are in various places all around the country run by the district associations.

We leave on Tuesday via outdoor bits for a little electrical problem and then we are booked into the cc site In Bristol at Baltic wharf, which is due to close next month permanently. (My brother lives in the flats next door hence I reason to go) three nights for two of us is £126 something, which to me is extortionate.

We then plan to leave there and We plan to go to a THS at Monyash, in the Peak District for a few days.

So my choice would be to join the CCC as I think it does far more for motorhomers.

But join both for year and see what you think

Carol

On 22/04/2021, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
> We would normally go away June and July to France and further East
> however even though fully vaccinated we are not sure of what sort of
> welcome we might get both there and on our return!
> So we are considering Motor-homing in the UK this year. We tend to use
> pubs for overnights in the UK but obviously that can give a problem with
> obtaining fresh water and dumping grey and black water. Which of the
> groups are best to join to use CL's or their equivalent? We will
> probably be travelling from Gloucestershire, to Lincolnshire,
> Northumberland, Edinburgh, Dunoon, Barr, Llandudno, home.
> BTW for trackers take a look at "Rewire Security".
> Regards to all
> Richard

David Scholes

I reckon Carol is giving good advice. There are also the short (3-5 days) meets which are normally a bit cheaper still and normally run over weekends.
Back in my caravan days we used to have problems with CLs over the weekends when many caravaners from the local towns had standing orders with the cheap and the nice sites for Fri and Sat nights. We were chucked off more than once because of this. Often, if it rained, the standing orderers wouldn’t turn up either.

My knowledge is of the CCC meets where it was compulsory for the site to have water and toilet dump but anything else was a bonus.

David

On 23 Apr 2021, at 11:39, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> [...]

ones including pubs with facilities. If you do pick club certificated
ones, you do have to be a member though.

TimS

On 22/04/2021, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
> We would normally go away June and July to France and further East
> however even though fully vaccinated we are not sure of what sort of
> welcome we might get both there and on our return!
> So we are considering Motor-homing in the UK this year. We tend to use
> pubs for overnights in the UK but obviously that can give a problem with
> obtaining fresh water and dumping grey and black water. Which of the
> groups are best to join to use CL's or their equivalent? We will
> probably be travelling from Gloucestershire, to Lincolnshire,
> Northumberland, Edinburgh, Dunoon, Barr, Llandudno, home.
> BTW for trackers take a look at "Rewire Security".

Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Richard

Thanks Tim, using Search for Sites is a good option before committing to
a club.
Richard

On 23/04/2021 11:07, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
[...]

I assume one needs to be a member of the CCC to be aware of, and utilise, what THS's are available. What sort of notice do you get of the availability?
Richard

On 23/04/2021 11:39, Carol Weaver wrote:
> [...]

ones including pubs with facilities. If you do pick club certificated
ones, you do have to be a member though.

TimS

On 22/04/2021, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
> We would normally go away June and July to France and further East
> however even though fully vaccinated we are not sure of what sort of
> welcome we might get both there and on our return!
> So we are considering Motor-homing in the UK this year. We tend to use
> pubs for overnights in the UK but obviously that can give a problem with
> obtaining fresh water and dumping grey and black water. Which of the
> groups are best to join to use CL's or their equivalent? We will
> probably be travelling from Gloucestershire, to Lincolnshire,
> Northumberland, Edinburgh, Dunoon, Barr, Llandudno, home.
> BTW for trackers take a look at "Rewire Security".

Yes you need to be a member. You get a monthly magazine with another within called Out & About. There are apps for both

They tend to be between April and October and they are in for year. Some get cancelled as they can’t get enough to run them and new get added - especially this year!!!

Carol

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 18:23, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
> [...]

ones including pubs with facilities. If you do pick club certificated
ones, you do have to be a member though.

TimS

On 22/04/2021, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
> We would normally go away June and July to France and further East
> however even though fully vaccinated we are not sure of what sort of
> welcome we might get both there and on our return!
> So we are considering Motor-homing in the UK this year. We tend to use
> pubs for overnights in the UK but obviously that can give a problem with
> obtaining fresh water and dumping grey and black water. Which of the
> groups are best to join to use CL's or their equivalent? We will
> probably be travelling from Gloucestershire, to Lincolnshire,
> Northumberland, Edinburgh, Dunoon, Barr, Llandudno, home.
> BTW for trackers take a look at "Rewire Security".

But to use any club site or CS/CL (they’re 5 van sites) you still need to be a member so S4S will let you see where they are but not use them

Carol

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 18:21, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
Thanks Tim, using Search for Sites is a good option before committing to
a club.
Richard

On 23/04/2021 11:07, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
> Both the CCC and CMC list loads of certificate places, which I'm
> finding in these Covid times more likely to have spaces than the club
> main ones. But you can't say which turn out to be the best as I've
> found they all vary from fantastic to awful, basic (just a field) to
> amazingly equipped. Some more expensive than actual club sites.
>
> What I'd do is use the Search for Sites website which lists and
> describes nearly all the club ones as well as, of course, many private
> ones including pubs with facilities. If you do pick club certificated
> ones, you do have to be a member though.
>
> TimS
>
> On 22/04/2021, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
>> We would normally go away June and July to France and further East
>> however even though fully vaccinated we are not sure of what sort of
>> welcome we might get both there and on our return!
>> So we are considering Motor-homing in the UK this year. We tend to use
>> pubs for overnights in the UK but obviously that can give a problem with
>> obtaining fresh water and dumping grey and black water. Which of the
>> groups are best to join to use CL's or their equivalent? We will
>> probably be travelling from Gloucestershire, to Lincolnshire,
>> Northumberland, Edinburgh, Dunoon, Barr, Llandudno, home.
>> BTW for trackers take a look at "Rewire Security".
>> Regards to all
>> Richard

Brent

Hi Richard
Haven't I noticed something about temporary membership for about £3:50p in O&A with CCC?
I suppose it would depend on how long and how many THS sites you intend to stay at!!
Take care all

Carol Weaver

Temporary membership is for overseas that is only mention I can find re temporary membership

That is on CCC

Just join it isn’t that expensive

Carol

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 at 08:01, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
Hi Richard
Haven't I noticed something about temporary membership for about £3:50p in O&A with CCC?
I suppose it would depend on how long and how many THS sites you intend to stay at!!
Take care all

Derek Sims

Our son was able to take out temporary membership to join us at a THS in his campervan. Don't know if he'd have been able to do that if we hadn't been there - probably not.

Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 24/04/2021, 08:25 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
Temporary membership is for overseas that is only mention I can find re temporary membership

That is on CCC

Just join it isn’t that expensive

Carol

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 at 08:01, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
Hi Richard
Haven't I noticed something about temporary membership for about £3:50p in O&A with CCC?
I suppose it would depend on how long and how many THS sites you intend to stay at!!
Take care all

Attachments:

David Scholes

Stewards at CCC THSs should have been instructed about selling temp membership to anybody who needs it. The hope is that they will choose full membership but temp is ok. But no membership means no insurance so definitely not allowed.

David

On 24 Apr 2021, at 10:36, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

[...]

Buff and Hugh

Online reviews of sites (including CLs and CSs) can be informative. I've just googled the CL where we stayed most recently. Interestingly Search for Sites has no reviews or star ratings for it, but there are several on caravanclub.co.uk (NB they've not updated their domain name!) and ukcampsite.co.uk.