Travel to Germany This Year

Mick Potter

We have got itchy feet after having had two trips this year cancelled, and are thinking of going to Europe for a couple of months.

The plan is to take the tunnel, drive straight to Aachen without stopping (425 km from Ashford, about 3-4 hours from Calais, via Belgium) - I think that Carol is thinking of something similar.  Then stay in Germany, moving south if we need to follow the weather, maybe crossing Austria (without stopping) to Italy.  Returning the same way.  Our travel insurance should be OK, except for the short periods in France, Belgium and Austria.  As things stand, we should be able to return to the UK without self-isolating.

If quarantine arrangements change while we're away, we'll just have to self-isolate for a fortnight when we get back - a gamble we'll take.

From what I've read, this should all be possible, but if anyone can see any snags, I'd be grateful to have them pointed out.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of the German attitude to wild camping?  We don't really like campsites.

Any comments welcomed.

TIA

Mick

John Young

I had to isolate though I had not stopped off inFrance or Belgium when I came back from Germany.
Wild camping is not usual in Germany I don’t think. You can usually find a Stelplatz to park up on. I might be wrong about this and am sure that more experienced members will comment if so.
Have a nice and safe time whatever.

On 30 Aug 2020, at 18:43, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:

We have got itchy feet after having had two trips this year cancelled, and are thinking of going to Europe for a couple of months.

The plan is to take the tunnel, drive straight to Aachen without stopping (425 km from Ashford, about 3-4 hours from Calais, via Belgium) - I think that Carol is thinking of something similar.  Then stay in Germany, moving south if we need to follow the weather, maybe crossing Austria (without stopping) to Italy.  Returning the same way.  Our travel insurance should be OK, except for the short periods in France, Belgium and Austria.  As things stand, we should be able to return to the UK without self-isolating.

If quarantine arrangements change while we're away, we'll just have to self-isolate for a fortnight when we get back - a gamble we'll take.

From what I've read, this should all be possible, but if anyone can see any snags, I'd be grateful to have them pointed out.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of the German attitude to wild camping?  We don't really like campsites.

Any comments welcomed.

TIA

Mick

Carol Weaver

Morning John

Did you come by ferry?  You don’t say

If so then you do have to isolate as you have to leave your vehicle and go onboard

As I read on a government page if you didn’t get out of your vehicle (you can use diesel as long as pay at pump and no interaction with anyone) and no one joins your vehicle and you use the tunnel you do not need to isolate

These are our plans. We leave today

Carol

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 21:39, John Young via groups.io <john2younguk=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

From what I've read, this should all be possible, but if anyone can see any snags, I'd be grateful to have them pointed out.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of the German attitude to wild camping?  We don't really like campsites.

Any comments welcomed.

TIA

Mick

Mick Potter

Carol,

That's how I understand things. Please let us know how you get on.

Gute Reise!

Mick

Carol Weaver

Will do. Overnight at a Britstops tonight to halve journey and on to tunnel tomorrow

Carol

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 08:49, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:
Carol,

That's how I understand things. Please let us know how you get on.

Gute Reise!

Mick

Carol,

With your MH out of Cornwall it should make room for mine to enter next Saturday.

Enjoy your tour.

Martin

On 31 Aug 2020, at 09:52, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Will do. Overnight at a Britstops tonight to halve journey and on to tunnel tomorrow

Carol

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 08:49, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:
Carol,

That's how I understand things. Please let us know how you get on.

Gute Reise!

Mick

Hehe.  Don’t think you want our parking space!!!  No view of the sea or beach.

Enjoy Martin

Carol

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 10:19, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Carol,

With your MH out of Cornwall it should make room for mine to enter next Saturday.

Enjoy your tour.

Martin

On 31 Aug 2020, at 09:52, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Will do. Overnight at a Britstops tonight to halve journey and on to tunnel tomorrow

Carol

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 08:49, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:
Carol,

That's how I understand things. Please let us know how you get on.

Gute Reise!

Mick

Buff and Hugh

Re "wild camping": our impression is that the attitude is slightly more relaxed than in Britain. There are of course many authorised Stellplätze but we have on a few occasions overnighted in rural lay-bys and woodland parking spots but not for the last two years. Covid may have changed attitudes, of course.

Hugh

Ernest Bull

On 30 Aug 2020, at 18:43, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of the German attitude to wild camping?  We don't really like campsites.

Unfortunately, wild camping and random parking are not officially allowed in Germany. However, if you follow the usual rules of conduct, are friendly and don't pollute the environment, officials will usually "turn a blind eye.

The full story here: -

Alternatively, try the aires. 4784 of ‘em to chose from.: -

It’s in French - there seem to have been a lot of changes to the website since I last used it, but it’s all basic stuff and still very handy.

HTH and Gute Farht
—————

ErnB

Buff and Hugh

As well as campingcar-infos we are also making increasing use of park4night. Park4night often has more recent reviews, which we find particularly helpful.

Hugh