Travel Insurance - Staysure unhelpful

Sandytrax

Hi folks
I renewed my Staysure travel insurance for an annual multi trip policy on 18 March.
I've asked for an extension or cancellation in the current circumstances.
They have refused.
I could cancel but will lose the full premium I paid.
Anyone had the same unhelpful response?
Cheers
Brian

Carol Weaver

Ours was due 9/4 so I haven’t done it

Hope you get some help

On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 13:28, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
Hi folks
I renewed my Staysure travel insurance for an annual multi trip policy on 18 March.
I've asked for an extension or cancellation in the current circumstances.
They have refused.
I could cancel but will lose the full premium I paid.
Anyone had the same unhelpful response?
Cheers
Brian

Sandytrax

It must surely be morally wrong for an insurance company to refuse a reduction in cover for travel when you are unable to travel due to U.K. government rules?
Pandemic exploitation?
Cheers
Brian

timsinc Sinclair

Sorry, can't help. Never in my many Euro travels years have I bothered
with travel insurance. Can't see the point for a motorhomer. Vehicle
yes, recovery yes (ADAC), maybe health but not even taken that.

Tim

On 08/05/2020, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@gmail.com> wrote:
It must surely be morally wrong for an insurance company to refuse a
reduction in cover for travel when you are unable to travel due to U.K.
government rules?
Pandemic exploitation?
Cheers
Brian

Always have health insurance  Thank goodness as it could have been expensive last year. And several dentists trips too in previous trips

Carol

On 08/05/2020, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
> It must surely be morally wrong for an insurance company to refuse a
> reduction in cover  for travel when you are unable to travel due to U.K.
> government rules?
> Pandemic exploitation?
> Cheers
> Brian

Yes. Heart attack, stroke (friend had a suspected one and was flown home with a medic), cancer (happened to a friend - weeks in a French hospital before being flown home with a medic), broken ankle (me - insurance paid for flights and repatriation of the van) Getting back to the UK could be very costly if you need a flight with a medic in attendance.

Peter S

On 08/05/2020 15:10:10, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Always have health insurance  Thank goodness as it could have been expensive last year. And several dentists trips too in previous trips

Carol

On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 15:06, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Sorry, can't help. Never in my many Euro travels years have I bothered
with travel insurance. Can't see the point for a motorhomer. Vehicle
yes, recovery yes (ADAC), maybe health but not even taken that.

Tim

On 08/05/2020, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
> It must surely be morally wrong for an insurance company to refuse a
> reduction in cover  for travel when you are unable to travel due to U.K.
> government rules?
> Pandemic exploitation?
> Cheers
> Brian

Sandytrax

Surely, everyone assess a risk before deciding whether or not to take out travel insurance.

But should an insurance company refuse to refund or reduce your premium if you are unable to travel due to forces beyond your control such as Government restrictions?

Their risk is reduced to zero.

I’ll have to check what the authorities say.

It’s not right tho innit?

Cheers
Brian

Nigel Owen

But surely if you are prevented from travelling due to forces beyond your control this is precisely why you need travel insurance to cover any cancellation charges for already booked trips?

Nigel.

On 08/05/2020 15:26, Sandytrax wrote:
Surely, everyone assess a risk before deciding whether or not to take out travel insurance.

But should an insurance company refuse to refund or reduce your premium if you are unable to travel due to forces beyond your control such as Government restrictions?

Their risk is reduced to zero.

I’ll have to check what the authorities say.

It’s not right tho innit?

Cheers
Brian

Sandytrax

Nigel -
Well it depends what you have or want travel insurance for. As a free traveller in my motorhome, I don’t book much. So, I’m not like someone who has booked a package for two weeks on the Costa Brava.

I had travel insurance with Staysure for last year which I renewed on 18 March.
I was travelling in Greece when the lockdown occurred.
I had little choice but to return to UK, as advised by UK Government.
In addition to the curtailment of my trip, I incurred significant additional costs.
I made a claim to Staysure.
Would they accept it?
No!
Unless there was a death in my family. Which fortunately there wasn’t.

Now, with this year’s renewed insurance, I can’t travel because of Government restrictions.
The insurance risk if I don’t travel must surely be zero.
Will Staysure reflect that in their premium?
No!

Does that sound reasonable to you?
I don’t think so.

Happy travels whenever you get the chance!

Brian

Alan Morris

On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 12:28, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@gmail.com> wrote:

I renewed my Staysure travel insurance for an annual multi trip policy on 18 March.
I've asked for an extension or cancellation in the current circumstances.
They have refused.
I could cancel but will lose the full premium I paid.
Anyone had the same unhelpful response?
I am afraid that you are in the same situation as many thousands of
folk. DON'T cancel as then you loose any protection.

As you wrote in a later posting "Pandemic exploitation?". Yes.

UK law states that if a good or service is not provided, then the
customer is to be offered a number of alternatives. i.e. an
extension, voucher towards future good or service provision, or a cash
refund, within the legal 14 days after the request was made.

Too many companies are refusing to give a cash refund and are
therefore breaking the law.

Quotes from Money Saving Expert:-

"The competition watchdog has launched an investigation into
complaints that some firms are failing to refund customers for
cancellations due to coronavirus, and it's threatened to take legal
action to enforce consumers' rights if needed. The watchdog says as a
general rule firms MUST offer cash refunds for cancellations, and you
can report firms that don't"

"The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) says it will initially
focus its investigation on weddings and private events, holiday
accommodation and childcare providers, including nurseries, before
moving on to other sectors. It says 80% of the complaints received by
its Covid-19 taskforce – which monitors the problems facing consumers
– are now related to cancellations and refunds."

Unfortunately, the CMA is getting too many complaints and is
responding with boilerplate answers that show that they are not even
reading the complaints.

Many of these companies have received a large income from their
customers and are enjoying their good fortunes, as their out going
costs have reduced to zero or close to zero.

If you paid with a credit card, you may be able to obtain a refund by
getting a "Chargeback" via the card's bank of even "Section 75". But
again this will take a long time.

There are however a few honest companies. We took delivery of a new
car on 19th March and drove it home over 2.5 miles. It's not moved
since. It has Toyota's breakdown cover for 12 months. WE have just
received a letter extending our cover by 3 months free of charge to
19/06/21.

Unfortunately nothing similar for our Hymer insurance while SORN.

For many years, we've relied on the insurance provided with ADAC, but
as that is now ending for UK home addresses, we wont be renewing at
the end of June. As the car is covered (see above) we will obtain
breakdown cover with a new company for the Hymer.

At the end of the day, if it's less than say £100 owed, I'd not bother
in pursuing these dishonest companies. Make a claim in the future and
will they pay-out? Go elsewhere next time.

My extension of the Nationwide Travel Insurance was due earlier this year and I phoned about paying the extra to cover age/condition. The lady asked what date I was travelling and I explained that I’d not booked anything yet and it could well be the Autumn. She said well just phone & pay for the year a few days before you travel.

We’ll see if that works.

Martin

On 8 May 2020, at 13:31, Carol Weaver via groups.io <corconx@...> wrote:

Ours was due 9/4 so I haven’t done it

Hope you get some help

On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 13:28, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
Hi folks
I renewed my Staysure travel insurance for an annual multi trip policy on 18 March.
I've asked for an extension or cancellation in the current circumstances.
They have refused.
I could cancel but will lose the full premium I paid.
Anyone had the same unhelpful response?
Cheers
Brian

Steve Pyke

Hi,
We have been with Nationwide travel insurance for years. The basic insurance is free but the add ons for age 70+ £65, minor health problems eg statins costs £30, extra extension for more than 31 days £50 all add up.

We have booked a flight and air b&b places for the autumn which I'm sure will be cancelled. It was booked at the end of last year so would be covered but anything booked after 18th March I think will not have cancellation cover due to Coronavirus. Hopefully we will get some of our deposits back if THEY cancel. Don't cancel anything yourself as it will be read as disinclination to travel and therefore not covered as I understand it.

We had a mini street party yesterday which will be our treat for the year!!

Take care and enjoy the sunshine

Steve