Trailers in Stelplatz and French equivalents

andyowl2004

We usually tow a small car on a trailer behind our Dethleff (7.6m) and wondered about the acceptability of parking such outfits on Stelplatz and the French equivalents (I cannot remember what the French call them!)

Clearly we would be taking up another pitch and presumably will have to pay for it (no problem with that either).

Have you seen it done and are there any "Do's and Don'ts"?

Do the locals object and would we be seen as "greedy" especially if the site was busy?

Hoping you can help

Andy Owler

Carol Weaver

It is not really done thing as spaces are for Motorhomes. Stellplatz seem to be smaller too but like Aires some are just large spaces

We don’t tow and there is nothing more galling to arrive at an aire to find the only space has a trailer in it. We have asked them to move it in the past.

7.5m seems max on most Stellplatz except on Moselle where many are in fields.

I suggest google earth might be your friend

Carol

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 10:08, andyowl2004 via groups.io <andyowler=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
We usually tow a small car on a trailer behind our Dethleff (7.6m) and wondered about the acceptability of parking such outfits on Stelplatz and the French equivalents (I cannot remember what the French call them!)

Clearly we would be taking up another pitch and presumably will have to pay for it (no problem with that either).

Have you seen it done and are there any "Do's and Don'ts"?

Do the locals object and would we be seen as "greedy" especially if the site was busy?

Hoping you can help

Andy Owler

andyowl2004

Dear Carol,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your response is much as I expected. Back to camp sites I suppose!

Andy
--
Andy Owler

Bennett Family

Andy,

I suppose the other consideration is whether you really need to take a car?

Many of the Aires are in convenient spots within easy walking distance of shops, bars, beaches & tourist attractions.

We tow a car in this country when we go to Cornwall and to visit relatives in London, but have never bothered on the continent where we have used a mixture of Aires and sites.

On very odd occasions we’ve hired a car for a few days.

I suppose it depends on how you started motorhoming. We’ve never owned a caravan and always appreciated the ability to move on whenever we want at a moments notice. Towing a car restricts you although I accept it can be very handy at times.

Martin

On 1 Sep 2020, at 08:50, andyowl2004 via groups.io <andyowler@...> wrote:

Dear Carol,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your response is much as I expected. Back to camp sites I suppose!

Andy
--
Andy Owler

Carol Weaver

There are some larger ones in France. We haven’t done much of Germany yet.

Eddie Jones if VsnBitz drives down and back to south I’d France in his RV and towing a huge speedboat. So it’s possible

Carol

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 08:50, andyowl2004 via groups.io <andyowler=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dear Carol,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your response is much as I expected. Back to camp sites I suppose!

Andy
--
Andy Owler

The other thing is electric bikes.  We have neither

Carol