Tracking

Roy Coldrick

I have deliberately changed the title of this thread so as not to imply that what I describe below is in any way a solution to Kenny’s question about vehicle tracking but I thought it might be of interest to some ...

There is a product , already established in the market, called TILE. It consists of a small device - a tile - which is attached to a valuable item on the one hand , and an App for your smartphone which can track the tile. I think the design plan was that each tile could be attached to important items , like car keys , wallet , wife? But I suspect the cost of the tiles at £20-£30 limited it’s appeal.

Somewhat behind the curve Apple have also been developing a similar product ( they actually bought the company) which is rumoured to be called Airtags. This product has been rumoured for a couple of years but it is now expected to be announced this year and possibly at the , just announced, next launch on 20th April.
As I see it Airtags will provide the same functionality as the Tile product but , being Apple, cost a little more but may have additional functionality.

It appears that, using the App on your phone you can make the tile/Airtags bleep , as long as it is close by since it uses Bluetooth technology to enable you to trace it. If the phone is too far away from the Tile and Bluetooth isn’t possible then the app uses the ‘Find my ‘ feature to locate it by requesting all smartphone users with that app installed to ‘look for it’ . Obviously a van motoring down the motorway with a Tile attached is unlikely to be detectable but , on the other hand, when it stops in the fuel station or wherever, it may be detectable.

I dont know what happens after that.

I can see that in the case of a vehicle the cost of each tile wouldn’t be an issue whereas tracking something less important it might be. I will be interested to hear of the launch of Airtags and to hear about it’s full functionality. Now where is my wife?

Roy

Carol Weaver

Sounds interesting. Will watch the event but as it’s when we’re eating I shall catch it afterwards.

Thank you Roy

Carol