Topics

Toll roads in Europe

Sandytrax

After a lots of internet searching -  tolls.net etc - I can't seem to find a clear map of Europe's toll roads.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Brian

Alan Morris

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 14:21, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:

After a lots of internet searching - tolls.net etc - I can't seem to find a clear map of Europe's toll roads.
Any suggestions?
Brian I suggest that you use Michelin maps. Motorways are marked on
their maps as two red lines with a yellow band in the centre for toll
roads, and two red lines with a white central band for non-toll.

<https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes>

The old paper Michelin maps I used to buy also mark the toll roads
with the same colours. Other digital (off-line) maps that I use in
Oziexplorer do the same.

If you use them to plan a route, you can avoid tolls by selecting "Avoid Tolls".

Alan.

Tim Atkinson

Just had a look at viamichelin and the toll markings as described are not very accurate - the motorway A16 between Calais and Boulogne is not a toll road and the A25 Dunquerque to Lille is not toll either but both are marked with a yellow band down the middle...

Cheers

--Tim A

On 10/02/2020 16:20, Alan Morris wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 14:21, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:

After a lots of internet searching - tolls.net etc - I can't seem to find a clear map of Europe's toll roads.
Any suggestions?
Brian I suggest that you use Michelin maps. Motorways are marked on
their maps as two red lines with a yellow band in the centre for toll
roads, and two red lines with a white central band for non-toll.

<https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes>

The old paper Michelin maps I used to buy also mark the toll roads
with the same colours. Other digital (off-line) maps that I use in
Oziexplorer do the same.

If you use them to plan a route, you can avoid tolls by selecting "Avoid Tolls".

Colours just means they are Autoroutes.

Peter S

On 19/02/2020 12:00:45, Tim Atkinson <tim@...> wrote:

Just had a look at viamichelin and the toll markings as described are
not very accurate - the motorway A16 between Calais and Boulogne is not
a toll road and the A25 Dunquerque to Lille is not toll either but both
are marked with a yellow band down the middle...

Cheers

--Tim A

On 10/02/2020 16:20, Alan Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 14:21, Sandytrax wrote:
>
>> After a lots of internet searching - tolls.net etc - I can't seem to find a clear map of Europe's toll roads.
>> Any suggestions?
> Brian I suggest that you use Michelin maps. Motorways are marked on
> their maps as two red lines with a yellow band in the centre for toll
> roads, and two red lines with a white central band for non-toll.
>

> The old paper Michelin maps I used to buy also mark the toll roads
> with the same colours. Other digital (off-line) maps that I use in
> Oziexplorer do the same.
>
> If you use them to plan a route, you can avoid tolls by selecting "Avoid Tolls".
>
> Alan.

skevmd

Hi
On Michelin maps toll roads have distance measurements in red and in blue on non-toll roads
Mike

Tim Atkinson

The best free online map I've found so far for France is this

https://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm

but it's static - no zooming

Cheers

--Tim A

On 20/02/2020 11:42, skevmd via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi
On Michelin maps toll roads have distance measurements in red and in blue on non-toll roads
Mike

timsinc Sinclair

This obsession for avoiding toll roads amazes me when often it saves
as much on fuel and running costs.

I agree it does depend on whether time and weather (ie, not bitter
winter) is on your side. If so, yes I avoid autoroutes for the sheer
pleasure of exploring. But otherwise, I don't need to research
websites - I just tell the sat-nav.

Campervan Tim

On 20/02/2020, Tim Atkinson <tim@...> wrote:
The best free online map I've found so far for France is this

https://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm

but it's static - no zooming

Cheers

--Tim A

On 20/02/2020 11:42, skevmd via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi
On Michelin maps toll roads have distance measurements in red and in
blue on non-toll roads
Mike

Tim,

I agree - I quite enjoy the less crowded French Autoroutes.

Martin

On 20 Feb 2020, at 15:56, timsinc Sinclair via Groups.Io <timsinc=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

This obsession for avoiding toll roads amazes me when often it saves
as much on fuel and running costs.

I agree it does depend on whether time and weather (ie, not bitter
winter) is on your side. If so, yes I avoid autoroutes for the sheer
pleasure of exploring. But otherwise, I don't need to research
websites - I just tell the sat-nav.

Campervan Tim

On 20/02/2020, Tim Atkinson <tim@...> wrote:
The best free online map I've found so far for France is this

https://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm

but it's static - no zooming

Cheers

--Tim A

On 20/02/2020 11:42, skevmd via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi
On Michelin maps toll roads have distance measurements in red and in
blue on non-toll roads
Mike

When we came back from Austria last year we deliberately used the Autoroutes. We had gone down through Germany and had had so many hold ups and miles of narrow lanes where roadworks were underway that I decided I would rather pay than sit in a jam. When we left Worms on a Sunday morning we were anticipating an easy day but within a few kilometers on the Autobahn a 3 lane road went down to 1 over a very short distance and then off the Autobahn onto narrow country roads. There was no warning, no diversion signs but lots of chaos and queuing.

Peter S

On 20/02/2020 16:15:27, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

Tim,

I agree - I quite enjoy the less crowded French Autoroutes.

Martin
> On 20 Feb 2020, at 15:56, timsinc Sinclair via Groups.Io wrote:
>
> This obsession for avoiding toll roads amazes me when often it saves
> as much on fuel and running costs.
>
> I agree it does depend on whether time and weather (ie, not bitter
> winter) is on your side. If so, yes I avoid autoroutes for the sheer
> pleasure of exploring. But otherwise, I don't need to research
> websites - I just tell the sat-nav.
>
> Campervan Tim
>
>> On 20/02/2020, Tim Atkinson wrote:
>> The best free online map I've found so far for France is this
>>
>> https://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm
>>
>> but it's static - no zooming
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --Tim A
>>

>>> On 20/02/2020 11:42, skevmd via Groups.Io wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> On Michelin maps toll roads have distance measurements in red and in
>>> blue on non-toll roads
>>> Mike
>>>

> --
>
> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Sandytrax

We’re on route to Greece from Roscoff, France, Switzerland and Italy. The route to Bari with tolls is around 150 euros.
In two days we’ve travelled 600 miles west to east across France mostly without tolls. Some beautiful roads. We decided to fork out 14 euros to save an hour, from 2hours 40 to 1hour 40 from Orleans to Chablis. It was worth it.
Next stop Basel and a lovely vignette!
Cheers
Brian

Derek Sims

Fond memoeies!

We used the St. Gothard Tunnel, no extra toll in those dsys. We crossed Switzerland in a day and stayed at the free aire at Locano overnight. No Swiss Francs so all we could do was window-shop.

We went through Milan to Cremona then out to the coast nr Rimini. It's worth using the toll motorway to take you past the awful, slow coastal road. (We didn't and regretted it, even though we had five months for the trip.

HTH

Derek