Topics

Toilets

Bennett Family

Given how useful we find our cassette toilets I was pleased to receive the attached gift for my birthday. It came with a framed certificate, photo and the coordinates.

Magnificent Martin! Must visit your 'twin'....

But you didn't get a new loo! Have you seen the latest Thetford....
no cassette, uses your waste water for flushes and works using a phone app.

I kid you not:
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/thetford-revolutionises-motorhome-sanitation-with-smart-toilet-system

Trouble is, the smarter things get the smarter they can be at going
wrong. Too complicated for me. Sometimes I think the old hand pump
would have been better in my camper than the electric pump in
very-hard to access water tank - have had three needing to be replaced
in six years have had the van.

Camper Tim

On 21/06/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Given how useful we find our cassette toilets I was pleased to receive the
attached gift for my birthday. It came with a framed certificate, photo and
the coordinates.

Martin

Attachments:
image0.jpeg: https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/101426/0
image1.jpeg: https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/101426/1

Wouldn't be my choice. 3 bottles of fluid to be stored and only last a month - sounds a bit like the printer ink scam with a cheap printer but expensive ink - and no choice of fluid supplier. Only 750 places to discharge. Can't tip down an ordinary toilet as you have to use the the pump out.

Peter S

wrote:
> Given how useful we find our cassette toilets I was pleased to receive the
> attached gift for my birthday. It came with a framed certificate, photo and
> the coordinates.
>
> Martin
>
> Attachments:
> image0.jpeg: https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/101426/0
> image1.jpeg: https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/101426/1

Ernest Bull

On 21 Jun 2020, at 08:22, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47@...> wrote:

 It came with a framed certificate, photo and the coordinates.

And I thought that 4 bottles of Cotes du Rhone was the ultimate Daddy Day present.

Ah, Well!

Enjoy it Martin. Post the pics when you visit the twin.
_______

Tim,

Your link reminded me of the Jet Toilet System in our previous Hymer S830. Sold as a “brilliant macerator toilet that holds 70 litres of waste” it proved to be a bit of a nightmare. It used so much water that it had to be emptied almost every day. Rarely were we somewhere that I could drive over a toilet emptying point so it involved decanting into a Waterhog and trundling that to the emptying point. Not pleasant at the best of times and extremely unpleasant in rain & snow. It also blocked a few times. I’ll not go into further details.

We tried to get it replaced with a standard cassette, but no British dealer was interested as it involved widening the cassette door opening considerably to be able to slide the cassette in at a 45 degree angle. Campirama in Belgium did a few conversions and made a very good job of the one I saw and we provisionally booked it in of a £4K toilet transplant. It then dawned on us that our 70th birthdays were approaching so we put the £4K towards downsizing instead.

The Merc Hymer S830 was one of the best vans we have owned and we kept it longer than any other (8 years) - I suspect that without the “improved“ toilet we would still have it now!

They did change the toilet design and reverted to a standard cassette.

Martin

On 21 Jun 2020, at 09:16, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Thetford…. no cassette, uses your waste water for flushes and works using a phone app.

I kid you not:

Wow! All we need now are auto-catering, self-drive motorhomes to put them in. Dial in where you want to go and what you want for dinner and then have a kip, or watch Netflix or even study the en-route scenery.
_______

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 08:17, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Have you seen the latest Thetford....
no cassette, uses your waste water for flushes and works using a phone app.
Naturally, it HAS to have a phone app, to appeal to the younger
generations. BTW, my latest electric tooth brush also has an app.
How it can improve my brushing skills, I don't know!

Quotes from the link:-

"Research showed that as with the toilet emptying schedule, grey water
tanks were also emptied more regularly than needed, because of vague
level indicators and proximity to emptying points."

I have no problem with the LED display for black water levels, with a
quick look down the hole to provide a more precise 'reading'.
However the "vague level indicators" of Hymer fresh and grey tank
levels are useless. If these tanks were easily accessible, I would
add accurate level indicators as I had in my Land Rover based MH.

"Tank sizes will be set by the motorhome manufacturer and, due to the
use of grey water to flush the toilet, Thetford anticipate that some
may reduce the size of these tanks to improve payload figures."

Having bought our Hymer, we read buried within the large Hymer 'fits
all models' manual, that we are expected to travel with an empty fresh
tank! This to give a low payload value to keep within 3,500kg.

Then Peter wrote:-

Wouldn't be my choice. 3 bottles of fluid to be stored and only last a month - sounds a bit like the printer ink scam with a cheap printer but expensive ink - and no choice of fluid supplier. Only 750 places to discharge. Can't tip down an ordinary toilet as you have to use the the pump out.
It has too many negative features that not many folk would use it.

A bit like when I was talking on a campsite to another owner of my
model of MH. I asked him how he coped with the problem of having to
open the shower door to get a towel. His answer was that they never
used the shower as the campsite ones were better!

Trouble is, the smarter things get the smarter they can be at going
wrong. Too complicated for me. Sometimes I think the old hand pump
would have been better in my camper than the electric pump in
very-hard to access water tank - have had three needing to be replaced
in six years have had the van.
My 1967 caravan had a foot water pump. That was easy to use having
only one tap. But it meant that I only used water while wetting and
rinsing my hands. With the outomatic on when opening the tap, we use
much more water.

I would suggest Tim that next time replace the old pump with an external pump.

Alan.

Ernest Bull

On 21 Jun 2020, at 10:44, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

Wouldn't be my choice. 3 bottles of fluid to be stored and only last a month…

Oh, Peter. What if it were 3 bottles of Cru Cotes du Rhone and they only lasted a week? LOL!
———

ErnB