The COVId-19 App for YOUR smartphone.

Bennett Family

The COVId-19 App for YOUR smartphone.

See below - worth a read. Then download the App.

Martin

“On the NHS COVID-19 App: Last 24 hrs I’ve provided the polite version of the following to C4, ITV,BBC, Radio 5, Sky News, Times Radio, LBC. I thought I’d answer a few frequently asked questions more directly, while our communications officer isn’t watching. ** edit at bottom for solution to the minority of tests that didn't link to the app. Spoiler, they do now!**

Is it going to steal my data?
- No its completely private. All your data stays on the phone, if you delete the app, you delete the data. Facebook, on the other hand...

Is it going to track me?
- No it doesn’t know where you are. Uber, Dominos pizza, google maps, on the other hand...

Is Dominic Cummings...
- No

Why has it taken so long?
- It was hard. We tested it, made it better, tested it again, made it better, now it’s ready. And we helped Google develop their system. And we beat most states in America

How many people need to download it to work?
- Two. If you download it and I download it and I get infected and I notify you and you don’t visit your gran, Granny lives

What happens if we all download it?
- Maths shows it could stop the epidemic.

But Dominic Cummings...
- Just no

Why did the Isle of Wight app not work?
- Actually it did. It looks like it stopped their epidemic. There were problems with iPhones.

Are there not still problems with iPhones
- Yes.  The few people with iphones earlier than 6S should write Apple and complain. If you have a later version you should download the app, stop the epidemic, and save the old folks with outdated smartphones.

What about the fines for not following the notifications? Those aren’t fair!
- What about the local outbreak and deaths you could cause by not following them? also what about the £500 you receive if you get notified and can’t work from home?

Yeah but “False Positives”...
- The only way you can get a notification is by being close to someone who tests positive for COVID-19 for a prolonged period.

Yeah but its not 100% accurate at measuring distance so there are false positives
- Do you think the virus cares if it’s 2 meters or 2.3 meters?

Yeah but...
-If I asked you to remember all your 2meter 15minute contacts in the last 3 days would you give me an accurate answer? Where’s your tape measure and your stop watch?

So is it more accurate than manual contact tracing?
-Yes probably. And it can notify people you don’t know.

How else is it better?
- well it’s a lot more private - you don’t need to give personal details about you or anyone else

Anything else?
- it uses computers so it’s fast enough to find people BEFORE they infect others...which is sort of the point.

Anything else?
- it doesn’t require millions of netflix subscriptions.

Anything else?
- It’s a quick way to check in to bars (I like bars) and it’s a faster way to book a test without navigating a website designed by a Vogon

There are no tests?
- Fair point. Not my department. But will keep the pressure on.

Its not a silver bullet is it? It’s just a cherry on the cake?
- No. If we all download it, it’s A GOLD-PLATED MISSILE, which relatively speaking cost one-thousandth of a cherries worth of cake, compared to another lockdown.

Is it going to work?
- not unless you download it.....give it a go. It’s really rather good.

(And well done to our group at Oxford, Alan Turing Institute, department of health, NHSX, Google, Pivotal, Zuhlke, and beyond who’ve all contributed...it’s been a long time coming...and it’s something to be proud of. Well done!)

**Edit from the App team: "Everyone who receives a positive test result can now log their result on the #NHSCOVID19app A minority of people, such as hospital patients, who were unable to log their positive result will now be able to request a code when contacted by NHS Test and Trace to input on the app."
https://twitter.com/OxfordViromics/status/1309954253117624321?s=20

(I am a senior researcher at the University of Oxford, Nuffield dept of medicine, in the pathogen dynamics groups. We advise the Test and Trace Programme in the U.K., Google, and tracing app developments internationally. I am also a clinician at the John Radcliffe Hospital, @OxfordViromics)”

timsinc Sinclair

Hmm... not sure after reading this .....
BBC News - NHS Covid-19 app: 12m downloads - and lots of questions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54326267

On 28/09/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Brent

So if I go into a care home and the job takes me more than 15 minutes will I be told to go into isolation?
We send an email to our clients and one of the questions is: are any of your staff/clients self isolating, or have been? Those good enough to respond have all denied any problems with Covid. Well you can imagine our shock when we arrived at one and was told: don't go in/near room "" as they are self isolating!!!!
Also where are all these cases of Covid in care homes as apart from that one we have been told the opposite - more false news!!!
Now where can I purchase iPhone with the none downloadable version?
Take care all and stay safe

Carol Weaver

I downloaded the app as soon as it was possible for us both but being in Germany probably it doesn’t work

Carol

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 20:55, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Too many unanswered questions about the app.

BBC News - NHS Covid-19 app: 12m downloads - and lots of questions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54326267

Tim

On 29/09/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sign up for SMUGMUG here:
https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

pj_home

There is also an argument that the tests are throwing up a large number of false positives due to the way the test works. It is being argued that the reason positive tests are up but actual numbers of people unwell or in hospital etc are static ish is because of this. Apparently the Health Secretary either does not know the percentage of false positives or is unwilling to release the information.

Paul

On 29 September 2020 at 10:00 timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

For someone constantly travelling from pitch to pitch, putting in your
required postcode is just nonsense.

Tim

On 29/09/2020, pj_home via groups.io
<paul.f.jackson=virgin.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Derek Sims

Absolutey agree and we're with Tim and Brent on this one - invitation emails going straight into Spam. And before someone says it's not relevant to the motorhome list - it's hugely relevant as what governments are now doing can have a major effect on our ability to tour.
Stay Sane
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 29/09/2020, 11:13 "pj_home via groups.io" <paul.f.jackson@...> wrote:
> [...]

> >> (I am a senior researcher at the University of Oxford, Nuffield dept of
> >> medicine, in the pathogen dynamics groups. We advise the Test and Trace
> >> Programme in the U.K., Google, and tracing app developments
> >> internationally. I am also a clinician at the John Radcliffe Hospital,
> >> @OxfordViromics)”

> >> --
> > --
> > Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> > Sign up for SMUGMUG here:
> > https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE
> > Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
> > https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4
> >

> --
>
> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

pj_home

On 29 September 2020 at 11:23 Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

> [...]

> >> (I am a senior researcher at the University of Oxford, Nuffield dept of
> >> medicine, in the pathogen dynamics groups. We advise the Test and Trace
> >> Programme in the U.K., Google, and tracing app developments
> >> internationally. I am also a clinician at the John Radcliffe Hospital,
> >> @OxfordViromics)”

> >> --
> > --
> > Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> > Sign up for SMUGMUG here:
> > https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE
> > Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
> > https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4
> >

> --
>
> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Tim,
For someone constantly travelling from pitch to pitch, putting in your

required postcode is just nonsense.
Why?

Martin
On 29 Sep 2020, at 11:19, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Because I'm hardly ever at my home address. I suppose every day I
could go through faff of entering a new postcode of where I've
happened to stop - and that's often for less than 15 hours.
Tim

On 30/09/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io

wrote:

[...]

Entering 6 digits each day seems a small price to pay if the APP helps.
Whether it does or not is debatable - it is certainly costing us a lot.

Roy Lilley has an interesting take on it:

A simple message...
_________________________________

Test and trace isn’t working. How any times have you heard that?

We have the best T&T in the world… the Martians don't test as many citizens as we do. Didn’t BoJo say that?

T&T isn’t working. Lazy politicians say it and idle journalists write it.

They don’t ask; ‘why’.

The general rule is; ask ‘why’ five times and you’ll get to the root cause. On this occasion, it’s even simpler.

We are looking for the outcomes and we should be looking at the inputs.

For sure, there are capacity and supply issues. It may take time but they’re simple to resolve; buy more of what you’re are running out of. Need more space… rent more space. Need more people… hire more people. 'Grow the service'... simple.

Inefficiencies in the system? A critical path analysis, a risk analysis and you’ll have the answers by tea-time.

These are not the issues. There’s something else. Something more sinister.

If we can’t get T&T working, we’ll never get on the road to normal. We’ll be stuck in a Kafka existence of lock-down, unlock, lockdown, unlock… repeat.

What’s wrong with T&T?

Nuff-man, Bill Palmer has done some interesting work.

  • In the week to 9th September, 18,371 people tested +Covid but only 15,526 were passed to T&T for follow-up. Why?

Dunno… but it means we lost 2,845 people. Does it matter? Dunno...

  • Of the 15,526 transferred to T&T, 2,424 couldn’t be contacted. Either they lied about their details, they were recorded inaccurately, or…

Dunno… but it means, now we’ve lost 5,269 people.

  • That leaves us 12,831, who were contacted.

  • Of them, one in 6 couldn’t provide third-party contact details. Couldn’t or wouldn’t?

  • Only 74% were reached and asked to self-isolate. That’s just 9,623. Why?

Dunno... but it means we’ve lost another 3,208, bringing our total of invisible people to 8,277

  • How many have actually self-isolated?

Dunno… SAGE estimate only one in 5 might do it properly.

Of over 18,000 people we started with, we’ve ended up with 1,695 who are playing-the-game.

About 16,300 have disappeared.

Is it any wonder R is on the rise?

Questions;

At the point of testing how is the identity and address of the person established? Biro and a piece of paper, windy car-park, transcription errors? How is it validated? Driver’s license, utility bill? Nothing? Do we do it on a computer, using postcode software, like Amazon?

Is there a sign that says; No ID, no test… it is against the law to give false-identity information to the testing-clerk.

No, if not, shouldn't it be?

When T&T ring up, does the number ID say it is T&T calling? What does the data tell us? How many T&T calls get ignored? We must know. How do call centres deal with this?

Providing third-party contact details, for some, is seen as dobbing-people-in and they won’t.

If only one in 5 is, properly, self-isolating… why?

Dunno… but I can guess. One of two reasons: isolation, people can’t face doing it again; or money, people can’t afford not to work.

T&T is working. However it may be resourced, however big it gets, it will never work if the public don’t want it to work. It looks like we only have 9% of people ‘playing-the-game’.

T&T works… but the numbers tell us, too many of the public are working against it.

Yes, I know; we have fines for not complying but somebody has to get the evidence and prove it. Yes, we can have some new laws but… is more punitive the answer?

T&T is poorly framed...

 ‘Got Covid, go home, go away, stay away.’

… is the wrong narrative.

It's a public health narrative when we need a wellness message.

Of course, underpin T&T with better fall-back laws, but more importantly, reposition T&T as a national-wellness programme.

Highlight the lives it has saved and will save. The businesses it will keep open. What can we all do, to keep each other well?

Population health, is population wealth. The population of the country, in the region, your town, at home and at work... we are the population.

At any time, national wellness is the most valuable asset the nation has. Right now, wellness is priceless. Wellness means offices, pubs, restaurants and retailing, open. The kids, safe at school and families united for Christmas.

Covid wellness; people who are not well, helping other people to stay well.

It’s a simple message.
-------------------------------------
Want to contact Roy Lilley?
Please use this e-address

On 30 Sep 2020, at 10:32, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Because I'm hardly ever at my home address. I suppose every day I
could go through faff of entering a new postcode of where I've
happened to stop - and that's often for less than 15 hours.
Tim

On 30/09/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io
Tim,

<martin.bennett47@...> wrote:

[...]

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 08:35, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

For someone constantly travelling from pitch to pitch, putting in your

required postcode is just nonsense.
Why?
Don't all phones these days have a built-in GPSr? Also I understand
that all service providers have to know where their subscribers are
for law enforcement etc.

A quality app should be able to obtain the phone's location automatically.

Also who knows the postcode when they are out and about.

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 09:48, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Roy Lilley has an interesting take on it:
I find his daily postings most interesting.

As JoJo's rules are so confusing that even BoJo can't understand them
and his local councils have similar problems, we have our own rule:-

Don't leave home unless it's to visit a hospital (3 x), a dentist (4
x) or the GP surgery (2 x). Even I can understand that!

Want to contact Roy Lilley?
Please use this e-address
roy.lilley@nhsmanagers.net
But don't expect a reply. (2 x)

Alan.

Gill Chester

I think there's a bit of confusion. I have both the NHS Covid-19 app and the King's College, London, Covid Symptom Study installed on my phone.

It's only the Symptom Study that asks you to enter your postcode - I agree, a bit of a pain when you're moving around.

I believe the NHS Covid-19 app just uses your phone's Bluetooth to pick up (anonymous) people near you. You can also use it for checking into venues, which would have been useful for us when we were in South Devon on holiday recently!

Cheers
Gill

Sent from TypeApp

yorkcov

I think Alan they were responding to public feedback on the first abortive app that people didn't want to be tracked and didn't want their information stored centrally. I probably would have not downloaded it if it was tracking me
Alan Y

On 30 September 2020 16:58:45 BST, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 08:35, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

For someone constantly travelling from pitch to pitch, putting in
your

required postcode is just nonsense.
Why?
Don't all phones these days have a built-in GPSr? Also I understand
that all service providers have to know where their subscribers are
for law enforcement etc.

A quality app should be able to obtain the phone's location
automatically.

Also who knows the postcode when they are out and about.

That’s how they work for me too.

Martin

On 1 Oct 2020, at 07:43, Gill Chester via groups.io <gill.chester@...> wrote:

I think there's a bit of confusion. I have both the NHS Covid-19 app and the King's College, London, Covid Symptom Study installed on my phone.

It's only the Symptom Study that asks you to enter your postcode - I agree, a bit of a pain when you're moving around.

I believe the NHS Covid-19 app just uses your phone's Bluetooth to pick up (anonymous) people near you. You can also use it for checking into venues, which would have been useful for us when we were in South Devon on holiday recently!

Cheers
Gill

Sent from TypeApp

phipps_paul

And works the same for us here in Scotland although we have our own version of the NHS track and trace. Just can’t see what there is to complain about. Your phone is trackable via the mobile network system if it’s switched on and connected anyway.

paul wrote:

And works the same for us here in Scotland although we have our own version of the NHS track and trace. Just can’t see what there is to complain about. Your phone is trackable via the mobile network system if it’s switched on and connected anyway.

So you feel perfectly safe with this then?:

Bluetooth hackers can use your phone's Bluetooth connection to make phone-based payments or call pay-per-minute numbers. They can also download texts, photos and other files and install malware

Sorry Paul I'd sooner not have one more thing to worry about - life's hard enough at the moment already!!

Take care and stay safe ALL

Paul and Merle

Thanks Brent.