Something To Do in Lockdown

Ernest Bull

Never heard of them before yesterday, but Elon Musk aims to put 12,000 Starlink satellites in orbit with 300 or so already up there. It seems that they appear as “Strings of Pearls” whizzing through the night sky from West to East, horizon to horizon, in but 6 minutes.

I looked last night and in the early hours - I had to get up anyway - but it was overcast for the first time since lockdown. My son and my grandkids have seen them twice and describe them as “Awesome!”

Maybe a touch OT, but some of you may need a little diverting at this time.

HTH
______

ErnB

Neill King \(MH-List\)

They are awesome just after launch before they string-out and are very visible then.

So much so the astronomy & astrophysics scientific community are trying to get them stopped!

There is vague talk of painting some future versions with anti-reflect paint but no commitment and given that Musk and others are planning fleets of thousands of these things it is a story and emerging scientific disaster unfolding as I write.

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

Never heard of them before yesterday, but Elon Musk aims to put 12,000 Starlink satellites in orbit with 300 or so already up there. It seems that they appear as “Strings of Pearls” whizzing through the night sky from West to East, horizon to horizon, in but 6 minutes.

I looked last night and in the early hours - I had to get up anyway - but it was overcast for the first time since lockdown. My son and my grandkids have seen them twice and describe them as “Awesome!”

Maybe a touch OT, but some of you may need a little diverting at this time.

HTH

______

Neill. I have looked but not seen them. Why. Is it a disaster?

Carol

On 23 Apr 2020, at 11:02, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;) <yahoo@...> wrote:

 it is a story and emerging scientific disaster unfolding as I write.

I see your point, but I was wondering about the cluttering up of space issue as well. Plus I could not understand why anyone would need 12,000 satellites. That more than doubles the total launched since 1957 and Sputnik. Who wants Satellite internet in anywise. Last time I looked it was too damned dear.

I wonder if he had to get approval to launch so many and if so, who from?
_______

Must be GOD as no one owns space at least as far as i know

🥱

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 13:50, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

Neill. I have looked but not seen them. Why. Is it a disaster?
I've been aware of them for some time, as a radio ham. We also have
ham radio satellites up there!

If one is interested in astronomy then one needs a dark sky without
bright lights from the ground, which obscure the stars. These
Starlink satellites are amongst the stars, which is worse.

The original URL does not show the problem, so look here:

<https://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=161254>

Other URLs:-

<https://spaceweathergallery.com/index.php?title=starlink>

<https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2020/04/21/astronauts-photograph-starlink-satellites-from-space/>

Alan.

Neill King \(MH-List\)

They mess up ground-based astronomical observations, thousands of bright spots and steaks in the field of view of serious scientific astro-studies – and his thousands are just the first of three or four similar projects.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink

New Scientist (subscription) said recently

Right now, SpaceX is the frontrunner in the mega constellation race, with 362 of its planned 42,000 Starlink satellites already in orbit. That’s… a lot of satellites. For reference, there are fewer than 10,000 total stars visible to the naked eye in every direction around the world.

Satellites overtaking stars in images of the night sky is of particular concern to observational astronomers, whose research depends on taking unobstructed pictures of the cosmos. Bright satellites flying through those images could render them useless. The Vera Rubin Observatory, a huge telescope being built in northern Chile, released a study stating that up to 30 per cent of its images may end up containing at least one Starlink satellite.

Some of those satellites could be bright enough to saturate the telescope’s cameras, meaning the pixels the satellites hurtle through would be overwhelmed with light so there is no longer any useful data in them. The Vera Rubin Observatory study says: “In the extreme scenario that all these affected images are rendered useless by saturated trails, the... survey would have to run four additional years to mitigate this loss.”

Some US regulatory body approved it and are currently being sued – some chance though, even if they win the monster Trump will trump it!

PS: The spectacular views are only soon after launch while they are still in a tight group and so only at specific dates and times based on your location, there are websites listing those.

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)

On 23 Apr 2020, at 19:17, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;) <yahoo@...> wrote:

PS: The spectacular views are only soon after launch while they are still in a tight group and so only at specific dates and times based on your location, there are websites listing those.

Here: - https://findstarlink.com but the scheduled showing over Bristol, tonight at 20:55 was a no show in an almost cloudless sky. It says timings are in BST, but I am going to check again at 21:55 in case it was GMT!
_______

Thank you Neill. I knew nothing of this or had heard of it.

Carol

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 19:18, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;) <yahoo@...> wrote:

[...]

Tessa Brocklehurst

My brother has just sailed single handed across the Atlantic, very glad he had satellite communications.
But whether we need that many is another question!
Tessa

Carol Weaver

Congratulations to your brother. One way to complete isolation I suppose. A great test of character

Was he beating a record?  Did he manage it?

I’m sure you are proud of him. Not something anyone can do

Carol

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 11:14, Tessa Brocklehurst <tessanct@...> wrote:
My brother has just sailed single handed across the Atlantic, very glad he had satellite communications.
But whether we need that many is another question!
Tessa

Neill King \(MH-List\)

No probs, New Scientist is my regular update on the world of ‘STEM’.

They offer free email newsletters too, just he headlines really but sometimes a useful ‘flag’.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news also have tech and science news pages accessed via the red menu bar – part of my near-daily scan of what’s going on that might be of more interest!