SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE: The Quest to Build a Functional, Energy-Efficient Refrigerator That Works in Space

Bennett Family

This could solve a few problems in motorhomes  - eventually.

The Quest to Build a Functional, Energy-Efficient Refrigerator That Works in Space

Read in Smithsonian Magazine: https://apple.news/AZawBk7GfRHywIBITcmw4xw

Shared from Apple News

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 07:27, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

This could solve a few problems in motorhomes - eventually.
Read in Smithsonian Magazine: https://apple.news/AZawBk7GfRHywIBITcmw4xw
It says it requires water to work, so this would reduce the
motorhome's payload. I can't see any other details of how it works.

But do we have a "problem"?

12 volt compressor fridge/freezers that run 100% off solar panels work
very well. So why are we still using gas run fridges?

Agree with Alan. One thing that's not caused any problems in 7 years
in my camper is the 12v compressor fridge.

TimS

On 28/07/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 07:27, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

This could solve a few problems in motorhomes - eventually.
Read in Smithsonian Magazine: https://apple.news/AZawBk7GfRHywIBITcmw4xw
It says it requires water to work, so this would reduce the
motorhome's payload. I can't see any other details of how it works.

But do we have a "problem"?

12 volt compressor fridge/freezers that run 100% off solar panels work
very well. So why are we still using gas run fridges?

Andy Clarke

It might be a problem after a week of cloudy weather and no hook up?

I reckon ours uses around 40Ah/day

Andy Clarke

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 19:27 timsinc Sinclair, <timsinc@...> wrote:
Agree with Alan. One thing that's not caused any problems in 7 years
in my camper is the 12v compressor fridge.

TimS

Ernest Bull

On 28 Jul 2021, at 18:24, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

12 volt compressor fridge/freezers that run 100% off solar panels work
very well.  So why are we still using gas run fridges?

Good question, Alan. And how about a solar water heater. Years ago, I took the 20" X 22” heat exchanger from the back of an old fridge, mounted it on an aluminium foil faced board and circulated water from a 2 gallon bucket using a screen washer pump given by a little solar PV panel. In April sunshine, the water was comfortably warm after 20 mins and was near boiling after one hour.

And years ago, I wrote to the then Housing Minister suggesting that all new homes should be fitted with solar panels and instead of an extended 220V ring main, as now, there should just be a basic one, backed up by a 12V ring main feeding multiple USB and, possibly, a new standard 12V socket.

I also wrote to the BSI suggesting that they work up new standards for the fittings and wiring needed.

Never heard a word back from any of ‘em.

And I have just about written to everyone in Bristol suggesting how it could be the Green capital of the UK, if not Europe. Same result and yet they all keep on about their dreams of zero emissions.

Bristol has several weirs suitable for turbines, it has the Docks and the City Centre is built above a network of rivers, tunnels and caverns crying ou to be filled with ground water heat pumps. And while Swansea spent £Bns trying to build a tidal barrage, Bristol has had a ready made one for about 200 years. Plus enough flat roofs to house acres of solar PV and water heating panels. It could be the first gas free city in Britain. As well as a green energy provider. Imagine! No heating or council tax bills.

Instead, they are are fitting 8 new boilers in my block. Despite my suggestion that they pre-heat our water with solar panels.
————

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 at 08:30, Ernest Bull <ernb32@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28 Jul 2021, at 18:24, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
12 volt compressor fridge/freezers that run 100% off solar panels work
very well. So why are we still using gas run fridges?
And years ago, I wrote to ....
I'm afraid that this is the attitude of every government and
commercial company. There is nothing that the 'man in the street' can
do.

Alan.

Chris

EriB  great ideas.   I have implemented the 12V ring.   My standard detached house moved all lighting to 12V over 6 years ago.  There are multiple USB outlets for charging tablets phones etc etc.
I made No changes to light switches or light fittings other than changing the bulbs.  ie. doesn't upset SWMBO.  I have taken it one step further and parts of the lighting are also smart in as much I can control then by voice or a web page.   None of this used anything I had to make, all off the shelf.

The only tricky bit for most will removing the lighting circuit from the main fuse box and connecting to a battery bank,  as the Battery bank is my design and the solar panels are mounted by me.
Now the costs, bulbs not to bad but had to come from China.  The Lead acid batteries mean the system is unlikely to pay for itself.  The additional solar panels 1.8KW I had laying around!

The new Micro wire Leds are so bright and efficient I can 20m for days off a small battery pack normally purchased to top up a mobile phone.

My main transport is a two-seater electric Car (Renault twizy) now 9 years old and before being made a home worker was used daily to commute.   Charged off house solar panels so no fuel charges or pollution.

The General Public can make changes themselves it doesn't take the Government.  although forcing all new builds to have Solar panels would be a small but good step.   If Gas boilers must be used (space) then you are again right preheat the water going in to them.   For those that do know understand, look at your electric shower, warmer water gets fed in to it during the summer and you have to turn it down.   In winter cold water is supplied to the home and the shower needs to be turned up.   Same happens to hot water (Combi) boilers.

Regards
Chris