Smart phone

Don Madge

Am I the only one on the List without a smart phone?
We very rarely use cash, I've a ten pound note in my wallet and it's been there for months.
Don

Carol Weaver

Probably not Don. Does Maureen have one?

Carol

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 15:57, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:
Am I the only one on the List without a smart phone?
We very rarely use cash, I've a ten pound note in my wallet and it's been there for months.
Don

Don Madge

No, Maureen has a tablet and a laptop.
I have a laptop. We both have a Doro phone on the recommendation of our grandson. Who told us we would be OK with them as they were idiot proof.
So far they have worked well for us.
Don

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 15:03, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
Probably not Don. Does Maureen have one?

Carol

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 15:57, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:
Am I the only one on the List without a smart phone?
We very rarely use cash, I've a ten pound note in my wallet and it's been there for months.
Don

Not heard of them but if they work fine. On Maureen’s tablet she can download the
App and use that

Carol

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 16:52, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:
No, Maureen has a tablet and a laptop.
I have a laptop. We both have a Doro phone on the recommendation of our grandson. Who told us we would be OK with them as they were idiot proof.
So far they have worked well for us.
Don

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 15:03, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
Probably not Don. Does Maureen have one?

Carol

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 15:57, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:
Am I the only one on the List without a smart phone?
We very rarely use cash, I've a ten pound note in my wallet and it's been there for months.
Don

David Scholes

I nearly bought a Doro phone. They have big numbers and big keys and a loud ring so old, deaf people like me can use them but they don’t do internet at all and they are not cheap.
So I stuck with my motorollo which cost the same as a Doro.
Much later I was flush and I bought an apple but I still have the Motorola and it still works fine. It sits in the van, plugged in, behind something and with an old PAYG SIM card which costs me about £5 a year and with ‘find my phone’ turned on. Hopefully that is my tracker if the van gets stolen. Don’t think you can do that with a Doro.

David

On 17 Oct 2020, at 16:59, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Not heard of them but if they work fine. On Maureen’s tablet she can download the
App and use that

Carol

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 16:52, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:
No, Maureen has a tablet and a laptop.
I have a laptop. We both have a Doro phone on the recommendation of our grandson. Who told us we would be OK with them as they were idiot proof.
So far they have worked well for us.
Don

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 15:03, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
Probably not Don. Does Maureen have one?

Carol

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 15:57, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:
Am I the only one on the List without a smart phone?
We very rarely use cash, I've a ten pound note in my wallet and it's been there for months.
Don

Gill Chester

I just thought I'd let you know that Doro do a smartphone now. My 85-year old deaf mother-in-law got one towards the beginning of lockdown so she could be involved with her community of friends via WhatsApp.
My husband got it all sorted for her along with broadband, and she took to it like a duck to water! It's been absolutely brilliant for her to be able to video call people, look things up on the internet etc. It's the first time she's ever been on the internet! And she can hear it really well - no interference with the hearing aids.
Cheers
Gill

Sent from TypeApp

Ernest Bull

On 17 Oct 2020, at 18:51, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

I nearly bought a Doro phone.

The ideal phone for grockles and elderly technophobes. They work well for calls and texts, but little else. And they seem to last just long enough to get out of warranty. We have a drawer full of broken ones. Their best features were clamshell cover - to save phoning people by mistake, big buttons and t9 or “Predictive Text.” Saved pressing “7” 4 times to get an S.

Problem being that most phones with the t9 spec do not work with 3G or with Three.

Love to know of one that does, anyone. The missus hates her current Ushining.
________

ErnB

skevmd

I have an Android tablet with a phone sim but play store will not let you download as it says it is incompatible. I managed to source the app somewhere else but when you run it says you must use a smartphone.
Got in touch with developer but they reply by saying look on there website which does help. It appears they have only tested the app with about 20 model of phones that they say are compatible.
The app will not work on less than Android 6 or an IPhone below 6. Not much use to those of us who do not change our technology on the whim of fashion.
Mike

Bennett Family

I invested in an iPhone many years ago and an IPad some years later. I’ve upgraded the phone a couple of times and the iPad once. My wife has a similar combination.

I use my phone as a personal hotspot for my iPad.

They weren’t cheap, but they’ve been brilliant and worth every penny.

So if you have any spare cash and you are not happy with the kit you have then treat yourself to an iPhone or iPad this Christmas.

 Martin

On 18 Oct 2020, at 14:59, skevmd via groups.io <skevmd@...> wrote:

I have an Android tablet with a phone sim but play store will not let you download as it says it is incompatible. I managed to source the app somewhere else but when you run it says you must use a smartphone.
Got in touch with developer but they reply by saying look on there website which does help. It appears they have only tested the app with about 20 model of phones that they say are compatible.
The app will not work on less than Android 6 or an IPhone below 6. Not much use to those of us who do not change our technology on the whim of fashion.
Mike

Carol Weaver

Ditto here plus I still have my 2010 27” iMAC. Brilliant kit all on it. Had the first iPad from states when it came out (even before they were here!! Exeter Apple asked me to take it in 💕

Have latest mini iPad as like the size

Use my phone the 11 Pro Max as my computer all the time even more than iPad.

Carol