Service & Repair work in South Yo4kshire

Bennett Family

If you are in the South Yorkshire area and need mobile repairs/servicing etc then give Warren a try. He did some work on my son’s 1997 Hymer B544 - sorted out the fridge (very awkward to get to) and replaced the kitchen faucet. Top job, done ar short notice before a holiday and at a very reasonable price.

I’ll be using him in future.

https://www.totalcaravanservices.com

Martin

timsinc Sinclair

Good to know, Martin, if I'm ever stuck in that area. Wonder what he charged. Early in lockdown when I was isolated in a garden Guildford way my mixer tap packed up - well its internal micro switch. A local mobile guy willing to venture out turned up and had one in his van.

£30 call out, fixed £30 labour first hour. Even though it took him 30 minutes. His cost: fuel and time for his 10-mile round trip to me. Cost of tap £18.

Suppose that's reasonable when compared to a domestic plumber's call-out fee, or mechanic's labour costs at a VW service centre.

The cost of micro switch only just pounds. But they're very model specific - mine would have to be ordered from Westfalia for its own faucet. And my expensive but friendly mobile guy said taking tap apart (if it was possible) and the fiddle on with the wiring would have taken him at least two hours!

In Malaga, Spain, before lockdown, my very difficult to access water pump failed. Mobile fitter came to camper stop and took him about an hour. Total cost €25 plus pump €17.

You live and learn.
Tim

On 14 August 2020 3:41:38 pm "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47@...> wrote:

If you are in the South Yorkshire area and need mobile repairs/servicing etc then give Warren a try. He did some work on my son’s 1997 Hymer B544 - sorted out the fridge (very awkward to get to) and replaced the kitchen faucet. Top job, done ar short notice before a holiday and at a very reasonable price. 

Martin

Bennett Family

The cost was £235 for an initial visit last week taking 1.5 hours to diagnose the faults and strip down the gas burner on a 1997 Hymer B544, work out the problem with the water system -after I had already replaced the water pump and a hose that had worked lose (it was a blockage in the tap as well). He ordered the parts and it took him over 2 hours today to fit them. 

I thought the cost was very reasonable, particularly when compared to my “habitation & damp check” a few weeks ago on the Carthago. That cost £405! The gas locker door had been left unlocked and must have flapped all the way home, various switches had been fiddled with - despite me asking and leaving a note saying “Please return all settings back to how they are now”. 
There was a note saying that the trip switch was “very sensitive”. In fact when I plugged in at home it had been tripped. It had never tripped in the 5 years before and hasn’t in the 14 days since. I suspect a faulty cable belonging to them. There were pools of water alongside the van from their hose. 

So I think I will be using my mobile chap in future where the work was done in my drive. 

I did write to the dealer to point out their shortcomings 

Martin

On 14 Aug 2020, at 16:36, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Good to know, Martin, if I'm ever stuck in that area. Wonder what he charged. Early in lockdown when I was isolated in a garden Guildford way my mixer tap packed up - well its internal micro switch. A local mobile guy willing to venture out turned up and had one in his van.

£30 call out, fixed £30 labour first hour. Even though it took him 30 minutes. His cost: fuel and time for his 10-mile round trip to me. Cost of tap £18.

Suppose that's reasonable when compared to a domestic plumber's call-out fee, or mechanic's labour costs at a VW service centre.

The cost of micro switch only just pounds. But they're very model specific - mine would have to be ordered from Westfalia for its own faucet. And my expensive but friendly mobile guy said taking tap apart (if it was possible) and the fiddle on with the wiring would have taken him at least two hours!

In Malaga, Spain, before lockdown, my very difficult to access water pump failed. Mobile fitter came to camper stop and took him about an hour. Total cost €25 plus pump €17.

You live and learn.
Tim

On 14 August 2020 3:41:38 pm "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47@...> wrote:

Martin

David Scholes

When I was in deepest Portugal (it seems like decades ago but was probably only 18 months ago) my solar panel regulator stopped working. I took the back off and mucked about a bit but found nothing obvious. It is a Fox something made in Germany otherwise no idea except that it is sunk into the side of the wardrobe so fitting any other type would leave a biggish hole.
Bimbo Solar did one that would get me going again for about £40 plus carriage which was not cheap and to get an address I had to go onto a site at 10 euros per day and it took a week till the device arrived and I fitted it and the panels were working but my wife was enjoying being on an orange grove with people to talk to and free oranges so we stayed a month so 300 euros.
When I got back home I contacted the Fox people, sent off the device and got it back a couple of weeks later, no charge postage perhaps £8 and now running nicely and I do have a spare now.
So total cost was about £350.
Repairs can be expensive.

David

On 14 Aug 2020, at 16:35, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

You live and learn.
Tim

Martin

timsinc Sinclair

Does seem reasonable cost, Martin, considering the hours put in. Guess
all part of the expense of having a 'holiday home'. In comparison I'm
cheap - my 'house' has no leaking slate/tiles roof, blocked drains or
rising damp (not had a hab check, though, after warranty expired 4 yrs
ago), and have emergency supply in case of elec power failure.

And I'm happy missing the thousands £s council tax and utility bills.
Not to mention out and inside redecoration costs. But have to say,
finding places to squat/pitch definitely getting harder these Covid
days.

Tim

On 14/08/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
The cost was £235 for an initial visit last week taking 1.5 hours to
diagnose the faults and strip down the gas burner on a 1997 Hymer B544, work
out the problem with the water system -after I had already replaced the
water pump and a hose that had worked lose (it was a blockage in the tap as
well). He ordered the parts and it took him over 2 hours today to fit them.

I thought the cost was very reasonable, particularly when compared to my
“habitation & damp check” a few weeks ago on the Carthago. That cost £405!
The gas locker door had been left unlocked and must have flapped all the way
home, various switches had been fiddled with - despite me asking and leaving
a note saying “Please return all settings back to how they are now”.
There was a note saying that the trip switch was “very sensitive”. In fact
when I plugged in at home it had been tripped. It had never tripped in the 5
years before and hasn’t in the 14 days since. I suspect a faulty cable
belonging to them. There were pools of water alongside the van from their
hose.

So I think I will be using my mobile chap in future where the work was done
in my drive.

I did write to the dealer to point out their shortcomings

Martin

On 14 Aug 2020, at 16:36, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Good to know, Martin, if I'm ever stuck in that area. Wonder what he
charged. Early in lockdown when I was isolated in a garden Guildford way
my mixer tap packed up - well its internal micro switch. A local mobile
guy willing to venture out turned up and had one in his van.

£30 call out, fixed £30 labour first hour. Even though it took him 30
minutes. His cost: fuel and time for his 10-mile round trip to me. Cost of
tap £18.

Suppose that's reasonable when compared to a domestic plumber's call-out
fee, or mechanic's labour costs at a VW service centre.

The cost of micro switch only just pounds. But they're very model specific
- mine would have to be ordered from Westfalia for its own faucet. And my
expensive but friendly mobile guy said taking tap apart (if it was
possible) and the fiddle on with the wiring would have taken him at least
two hours!

In Malaga, Spain, before lockdown, my very difficult to access water pump
failed. Mobile fitter came to camper stop and took him about an hour.
Total cost €25 plus pump €17.

You live and learn.
Tim

On 14 August 2020 3:41:38 pm "Bennett Family via groups.io"

If you are in the South Yorkshire area and need mobile repairs/servicing
etc then give Warren a try. He did some work on my son’s 1997 Hymer B544
- sorted out the fridge (very awkward to get to) and replaced the kitchen
faucet. Top job, done ar short notice before a holiday and at a very
reasonable price.

Martin

--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Sandytrax

Some folks have bigger problems than others.
There’s a couple posting as Van Journey on Facebook. 

They are touring Greece in a campervan with two children, a dog and a cat.
Theyve taken the van for repair at a Mercedes garage in Patras. They need a new rear diff. To fix it with a second hand part will cost them 4500 euros.
Travel ain’t cheap!
cheers
Brian

Carol Weaver

And going to get harder with this lockdown again. All of us who were going are now wondering where to go!

Tim you can always go to Ireland again!

Carol

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 19:46, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Does seem reasonable cost, Martin, considering the hours put in. Guess

all part of the expense of having a 'holiday home'. In comparison I'm

cheap - my 'house' has no leaking slate/tiles roof, blocked drains or

rising damp (not had a hab check, though, after warranty expired 4 yrs

ago), and have emergency supply in case of elec power failure.

And I'm happy missing the thousands £s council tax and utility bills.

Not to mention out and inside redecoration costs. But have to say,

finding places to squat/pitch definitely getting harder these Covid

days.

Tim

On 14/08/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io

> The cost was £235 for an initial visit last week taking 1.5 hours to

> diagnose the faults and strip down the gas burner on a 1997 Hymer B544, work

> out the problem with the water system -after I had already replaced the

> water pump and a hose that had worked lose (it was a blockage in the tap as

> well). He ordered the parts and it took him over 2 hours today to fit them.

>

>

> I thought the cost was very reasonable, particularly when compared to my

> “habitation & damp check” a few weeks ago on the Carthago. That cost £405!

> The gas locker door had been left unlocked and must have flapped all the way

> home, various switches had been fiddled with - despite me asking and leaving

> a note saying “Please return all settings back to how they are now”.

> There was a note saying that the trip switch was “very sensitive”. In fact

> when I plugged in at home it had been tripped. It had never tripped in the 5

> years before and hasn’t in the 14 days since. I suspect a faulty cable

> belonging to them. There were pools of water alongside the van from their

> hose.

>

> So I think I will be using my mobile chap in future where the work was done

> in my drive.

>

> I did write to the dealer to point out their shortcomings

>

> Martin

>

>> On 14 Aug 2020, at 16:36, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

>>

>> 

>> Good to know, Martin, if I'm ever stuck in that area. Wonder what he

>> charged. Early in lockdown when I was isolated in a garden Guildford way

>> my mixer tap packed up - well its internal micro switch. A local mobile

>> guy willing to venture out turned up and had one in his van.

>>

>> £30 call out, fixed £30 labour first hour. Even though it took him 30

>> minutes. His cost: fuel and time for his 10-mile round trip to me. Cost of

>> tap £18.

>>

>> Suppose that's reasonable when compared to a domestic plumber's call-out

>> fee, or mechanic's labour costs at a VW service centre.

>>

>> The cost of micro switch only just pounds. But they're very model specific

>> - mine would have to be ordered from Westfalia for its own faucet. And my

>> expensive but friendly mobile guy said taking tap apart (if it was

>> possible) and the fiddle on with the wiring would have taken him at least

>> two hours!

>>

>> In Malaga, Spain, before lockdown, my very difficult to access water pump

>> failed. Mobile fitter came to camper stop and took him about an hour.

>> Total cost €25 plus pump €17.

>>

>> You live and learn.

>> Tim

>>

>>> On 14 August 2020 3:41:38 pm "Bennett Family via groups.io"

>>> <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

>>>

>>> If you are in the South Yorkshire area and need mobile repairs/servicing

>>> etc then give Warren a try. He did some work on my son’s 1997 Hymer B544

>>> - sorted out the fridge (very awkward to get to) and replaced the kitchen

>>> faucet. Top job, done ar short notice before a holiday and at a very

>>> reasonable price.

>>>

>>> I’ll be using him in future.

>>>

>>> https://www.totalcaravanservices.com

>>>

>>> Martin

>>>

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

--

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Carol Weaver

So are you having to book a site on your next trip?
😊

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 19:17, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:
When I was in deepest Portugal (it seems like decades ago but was probably only 18 months ago) my solar panel regulator stopped working. I took the back off and mucked about a bit but found nothing obvious. It is a Fox something made in Germany otherwise no idea except that it is sunk into the side of the wardrobe so fitting any other type would leave a biggish hole.
Bimbo Solar did one that would get me going again for about £40 plus carriage which was not cheap and to get an address I had to go onto a site at 10 euros per day and it took a week till the device arrived and I fitted it and the panels were working but my wife was enjoying being on an orange grove with people to talk to and free oranges so we stayed a month so 300 euros.
When I got back home I contacted the Fox people, sent off the device and got it back a couple of weeks later, no charge postage perhaps £8 and now running nicely and I do have a spare now.

David

You live and learn.
Tim

On 14 August 2020 3:41:38 pm "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Martin

--
--
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

David Scholes

If we go again this winter, and that is not at all certain, then no, I won’t be booking anything at all. There were always places to stay though they were getting more and more crowded.
For instance, we used to go to Rota on the bay of Cadiz but then Sanlucar de Barameda was closed and everybody from there went further south and Rota became just another overfull sites like most of those on the Algarve. To be avoided at all cost.
There is still lots of room up the border but it is a bit cool in winter (though far warmer than England).

David

On 14 Aug 2020, at 23:03, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

So are you having to book a site on your next trip?
😊

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 19:17, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

David

You live and learn.
Tim

On 14 August 2020 3:41:38 pm "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Martin

--
--

Steve Pyke

Hi there,

We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at probably the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking around with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I took it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At least it passed and was the same price as previous years. I had to get the paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last year's. Not quite right but sadly we have only done about 800 this year.

When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp problem next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service next year.

I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended. I always check the gas pressure hold and do basic electrical checks occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental visuaI checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just about coped in the heat last week with the vent fans going full blast.

Martin at least you know they opened the locker!

The MOT has been extended to December which is a better time than July when we are usually away.

Take care and enjoy your travels to wherever

Steve

Bennett Family

Steve,

I don’t know why I continued to opt for the habitation check, because they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but they’ve regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me problems. I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had originally and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that my normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to a full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later when I had flat habitation batteries that they had switched off the battery charger - I didn’t even know it had an on/off switch!

So life should be much easier next year without their expensive fiddling - in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more than an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your service book you do not meet the terms of the warranty. 

Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at a local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty. If you want to sell I’d guess now is the time. 

Martin

On 15 Aug 2020, at 09:43, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke@...> wrote:

Hi there,

We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at probably the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking around with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I took it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At least it passed and was the same price as previous years. I had to get the paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last year's. Not quite right but sadly we have only done about 800 this year.

When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp problem next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service next year.

I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended. I always check the gas pressure hold and do basic electrical checks occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental visuaI checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just about coped in the heat last week with the vent fans going full blast.

The MOT has been extended to December which is a better time than July when we are usually away.

Steve

Brent

Martin wrote:-

I thought the cost was very reasonable, particularly when compared to my “habitation & damp check” a few weeks ago on the Carthago. That cost £405!

Blimey Martin did they have to repair, fix or adjust anything for that price? 

We thought £120 was OTT for ours to be done at main dealers whom we didn't purchase from and took about three hours!!!

Mind you we did have to use the worlds most expensive ferry to get there!!!

Best wishes all - stay safe

timsinc Sinclair

On 15/08/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io

Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at a
local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty. If
you want to sell I’d guess now is the time.
Yes, all those once on forecourts are now choking up UK campsites!...
I've managed to cover (booking weeks ahead) August and some of
September. Including a pub carpark or two.

Accept it I must (like spectacles-fogging masks in Tesco) that my
freedom to roam at will days are over.

Tim

Steve,

I don’t know why I continued to opt for the habitation check, because
they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but they’ve
regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me problems.
I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had originally
and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that my
normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to a
full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later when
I had flat habitation batteries that they had switched off the battery
charger - I didn’t even know it had an on/off switch!

So life should be much easier next year without their expensive fiddling -
in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more than
an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your service
book you do not meet the terms of the warranty.

Martin
On 15 Aug 2020, at 09:43, Steve Pyke via groups.io
<esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi there,

We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at probably
the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking around
with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I took
it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At least
it passed and was the same price as previous years. I had to get the
paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last year's.
Not quite right but sadly we have only done about 800 this year.

When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp problem
next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service next
year.

I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended. I
always check the gas pressure hold and do basic electrical checks
occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental visuaI
checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just about
coped in the heat last week with the vent fans going full blast.

The MOT has been extended to December which is a better time than July
when we are usually away.

Steve

--

Bennett Family

They provided a couple of tick sheets and the only thing to note was the “sensitive circuit breaker”.
It is their fixed price for the damp & habitation check. 

Theoretically, if they had found any damp it then repair would be covered by Carthago’s Warranty - but they didn’t. 

Martin

On 15 Aug 2020, at 12:23, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:

Martin wrote:-

I thought the cost was very reasonable, particularly when compared to my “habitation & damp check” a few weeks ago on the Carthago. That cost £405!

Blimey Martin did they have to repair, fix or adjust anything for that price? 

We thought £120 was OTT for ours to be done at main dealers whom we didn't purchase from and took about three hours!!!

Mind you we did have to use the worlds most expensive ferry to get there!!!

Best wishes all - stay safe

Bennett Family

Tim,

Are you a member of the CCC? Last night on BBC Look North they highlighted the fact that the CCC had opened 6 “farmers’ filed sites” on the Yorkshire coast where you could turn up and camp. The one they showed looked good - not too crowded and with a number of motorhomes on there. They mentioned £6-10 per night.

I assume they are the Temporary Holiday Sites run by District Associations. Carol’s the expert on these.

Martin

On 15 Aug 2020, at 13:23, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Tim

Steve,

they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but they’ve
regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me problems.
I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had originally
and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that my
normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to a
full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later when

So life should be much easier next year without their expensive fiddling -
in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more than
an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your service

Martin

Hi there,

We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at probably
the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking around
with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I took
it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At least
paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last year's.

When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp problem
next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service next
year.

I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended. I
occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental visuaI
checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just about

Steve

--

Carol Weaver

We like them. Used to have a marquee for meeting fir coffee on some - but not this year - not that we joined them. Reasonable prices and they have a Magazine (not now!) and an app Out & About (no one is updating it in that the cancelled ones have not been removed) but very useful

If you don’t need facilities they are fantastic as water, and black are easy to dispose of as us rubbish but that’s it in general. They are run voluntarily by members of each DA. 

I rate them myself and some are great as close buses. 

Carol

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 13:54, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Tim,

Are you a member of the CCC? Last night on BBC Look North they highlighted the fact that the CCC had opened 6 “farmers’ filed sites” on the Yorkshire coast where you could turn up and camp. The one they showed looked good - not too crowded and with a number of motorhomes on there. They mentioned £6-10 per night.

I assume they are the Temporary Holiday Sites run by District Associations. Carol’s the expert on these.

Martin

> On 15 Aug 2020, at 13:23, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

>

> On 15/08/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io

> <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

>

>> Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at a

>> local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty. If

>> you want to sell I’d guess now is the time.

>>

>

> Yes, all those once on forecourts are now choking up UK campsites!...

> I've managed to cover (booking weeks ahead) August and some of

> September. Including a pub carpark or two.

>

> Accept it I must (like spectacles-fogging masks in Tesco) that my

> freedom to roam at will days are over.

>

> Tim

>

>

>

>

>> Steve,

>>

>> I don’t know why I continued to opt for the habitation check, because

>> they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but they’ve

>> regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me problems.

>> I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had originally

>> and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that my

>> normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to a

>> full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later when

>> I had flat habitation batteries that they had switched off the battery

>> charger - I didn’t even know it had an on/off switch!

>>

>> So life should be much easier next year without their expensive fiddling -

>> in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more than

>> an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your service

>> book you do not meet the terms of the warranty.

>>

>> Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at a

>> local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty. If

>> you want to sell I’d guess now is the time.

>>

>> Martin

>>> On 15 Aug 2020, at 09:43, Steve Pyke via groups.io

>>> <esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:

>>>

>>> 

>>> Hi there,

>>>

>>> We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at probably

>>> the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking around

>>> with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I took

>>> it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At least

>>> it passed and was the same price as previous years. I had to get the

>>> paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last year's.

>>> Not quite right but sadly we have only done about 800 this year.

>>>

>>> When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp problem

>>> next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service next

>>> year.

>>>

>>> I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended. I

>>> always check the gas pressure hold and do basic electrical checks

>>> occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental visuaI

>>> checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just about

>>> coped in the heat last week with the vent fans going full blast.

>>>

>>> Martin at least you know they opened the locker!

>>>

>>> The MOT has been extended to December which is a better time than July

>>> when we are usually away.

>>>

>>> Take care and enjoy your travels to wherever

>>>

>>> Steve

>>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

>

> --

>

> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

>

>

>

--
--

Carol Weaver

Tim we booked a few CSs and then changed our minds without penalty. Now THS’s are opening up you might find them a great option. They are in Scotland too

Carol

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 13:23, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

> Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at a

> local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty. If

> you want to sell I’d guess now is the time.

>

Tim

> Steve,

>

> I don’t know why I continued to opt for the habitation check, because

> they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but they’ve

> regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me problems.

> I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had originally

> and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that my

> normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to a

> full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later when

> I had flat habitation batteries that they had switched off the battery

> charger - I didn’t even know it had an on/off switch!

>

> So life should be much easier next year without their expensive fiddling -

> in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more than

> an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your service

> book you do not meet the terms of the warranty.

>

> Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at a

> local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty. If

> you want to sell I’d guess now is the time.

>

> Martin

>> On 15 Aug 2020, at 09:43, Steve Pyke via groups.io

>> <esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:

>>

>> 

>> Hi there,

>>

>> We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at probably

>> the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking around

>> with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I took

>> it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At least

>> it passed and was the same price as previous years. I had to get the

>> paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last year's.

>> Not quite right but sadly we have only done about 800 this year.

>>

>> When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp problem

>> next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service next

>> year.

>>

>>  I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended. I

>> always check the gas pressure hold and do basic electrical checks

>> occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental visuaI

>> checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just about

>> coped in the heat last week with the vent fans going full blast.

>>

>> Martin at least you know they opened the locker!

>>

>> The MOT has been extended to December which is a better time than July

>> when we are usually away.

>>

>> Take care and enjoy your travels to wherever

>>

>> Steve

>>

>

>

>

>

--

--
--

timsinc Sinclair

Was told today that some folk book (in advance) up to three sites for
the same nights, then just cancel what they don't fancy nearer the
time. No wonder on line searches show them all as full. CCC you have
to pay in advance, but not CMC. The latter expect 72 hrs notice, or it
gets you black mark on their database.

Tim

On 15/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim we booked a few CSs and then changed our minds without penalty. Now
THS’s are opening up you might find them a great option. They are in
Scotland too

Carol

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 13:23, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at
a
local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty.
If

Tim

Steve,
they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but
they’ve

regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me
problems.
I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had
originally
and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that
my

normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to
a
full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later
when

So life should be much easier next year without their expensive
fiddling
-

in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more
than

an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your
service

a
If

Martin

Hi there,
We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at
probably

the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking
around

with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I
took

it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At
least
paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last
year's.

When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp
problem
next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service
next

year.
I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended.
I
occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental
visuaI
checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just
about

Steve

--

--
--
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

--

Carol Weaver

True CC were notorious for it as soon as booking opened. We’re not members any more due to the THS we stopped with the CCC. We get our monies worth from them in the summer months. 

A £25 deposit (used to be £10) and currently the full amount outstanding is taken on morning of stay. There is a reduction for over 65’s and Singles plus there was a 30% fir grass no electric which suited us.  No showers etc open on the two we used (Salisbury and Chipping Norton) but again we never use them anyway, which is why we dislike sites really, paying extra for facilities we don’t use

Their travel insurance was excellent value with two old medically poor people, but sadly that looks like it’s stopped

What I find so annoying at the moment, is it takes a month to get a reply, as they’re working from home, or furloughed.  I feel they should have their staff back to work to service the members that are paying, as this clearly isn’t the case, and I’ve told them twice now. Take care

Carol

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 14:43, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Tim

On 15/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> Tim we booked a few CSs and then changed our minds without penalty. Now

> THS’s are opening up you might find them a great option. They are in

> Scotland too

>

> Carol

>

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 13:23, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

>

>> On 15/08/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io

>>

>> <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

>>

>>

>>

>> > Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at

>> > a

>>

>> > local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty.

>> If

>>

>> > you want to sell I’d guess now is the time.

>>

>> >

>>

>>

>>

>> Yes, all those once on forecourts are now choking up UK campsites!...

>>

>> I've managed to cover (booking weeks ahead) August and some of

>>

>> September. Including a pub carpark or two.

>>

>>

>>

>> Accept it I must (like spectacles-fogging masks in Tesco) that my

>>

>> freedom to roam at will days are over.

>>

>>

>>

>> Tim

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> > Steve,

>>

>> >

>>

>> > I don’t know why I continued to opt for the habitation check, because

>>

>> > they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but

>> they’ve

>>

>> > regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me

>> > problems.

>>

>> > I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had

>> > originally

>>

>> > and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that

>> my

>>

>> > normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to

>> > a

>>

>> > full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later

>> when

>>

>> > I had flat habitation batteries that they had switched off the battery

>>

>> > charger - I didn’t even know it had an on/off switch!

>>

>> >

>>

>> > So life should be much easier next year without their expensive

>> > fiddling

>> -

>>

>> > in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more

>> than

>>

>> > an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your

>> service

>>

>> > book you do not meet the terms of the warranty.

>>

>> >

>>

>> > Did you notice how little stock they had remaining. I also called in at

>> > a

>>

>> > local caravan dealer last week and their forecourt was virtually empty.

>> If

>>

>> > you want to sell I’d guess now is the time.

>>

>> >

>>

>> > Martin

>>

>> >> On 15 Aug 2020, at 09:43, Steve Pyke via groups.io

>>

>> >> <esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >> 

>>

>> >> Hi there,

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >> We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at

>> probably

>>

>> >> the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking

>> around

>>

>> >> with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I

>> took

>>

>> >> it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At

>> >> least

>>

>> >> it passed and was the same price as previous years. I had to get the

>>

>> >> paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last

>> year's.

>>

>> >> Not quite right but sadly we have only done about 800 this year.

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >> When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp

>> >> problem

>>

>> >> next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service

>> next

>>

>> >> year.

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >>  I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended.

>> >> I

>>

>> >> always check the gas pressure hold and do basic electrical checks

>>

>> >> occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental

>> >> visuaI

>>

>> >> checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just

>> about

>>

>> >> coped in the heat last week with the vent fans going full blast.

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >> Martin at least you know they opened the locker!

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >> The MOT has been extended to December which is a better time than July

>>

>> >> when we are usually away.

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >> Take care and enjoy your travels to wherever

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >> Steve

>>

>> >>

>>

>> >

>>

>> >

>>

>> >

>>

>> >

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> --

>>

>>

>>

>> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> --

> --

> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel

> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;

> https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

>

>

>

>

--

--
--

Bennett Family

Tim,

I was told that some CMC members book same dates on east & west coast throughout summer, then cancel the one with the worse weather.

It’s annoying, but does mean that late availability often occurs.

Martin

On 15 Aug 2020, at 14:43, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Tim

On 15/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim we booked a few CSs and then changed our minds without penalty. Now
THS’s are opening up you might find them a great option. They are in
Scotland too

Carol

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 13:23, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

a
If

Tim

Steve,
they’ve never told me anything that I was Not already aware of, but
they’ve

regularly fiddled with things that have subsequently caused me
problems.
I’ve never been able to return the radio setting to what I had
originally
and what suited me. One year they turned both gas cylinders on, so that
my

normal system of waiting for the gas to run out before changing over to
a
full tank, was compromised. Last year I discovered about 8 weeks later
when

So life should be much easier next year without their expensive
fiddling
-

in fact the word “fiddling” sums it up - the 5 year warranty Is no more
than

an insurance really as without the expensive Annual sticker in your
service

a
If

Martin

Hi there,
We've just had our final 5th year damp check for the warranty at
probably

the same dealer. £138 for one hour's spraying the roof and walking
around

with a damp meter. I emptied the garage and all the lockers before I
took

it in but quite a lot of the internal walls are double skinned. At
least
paperwork changed as they put down the mileage as the same as last
year's.

When does a 5 year warranty end? I presume if I discover a damp
problem
next week it's after the warranty period! I will use a mobile service
next

year.
I haven't had a habitation check after the first warranty year ended.
I
occasionally throughout the year. The rest is pretty fundamental
visuaI
checks. I give the fridge flue a cleanout from time to time. It just
about

Steve

--

--
--
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

--