Topics

Scotland Beware!

Bennett Family

I see Warner are introducing a new Motorhome show at The Royal Highland Centre, Edinburgh in July. The promotional blurb includes “Why not visit the show ...on the way up to do the famous North Coast 500”.

Can you imagine? Possibly an aptly named route with 500 motorhomes heading for it!

Avoid avoid avoid.  My idea of hell. I used to love it but before they named it.  Anywhere OFF the route might be ok but I don’t think they have thought it through properly.

Carol

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 at 09:45, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
I see Warner are introducing a new Motorhome show at The Royal Highland Centre, Edinburgh in July. The promotional blurb includes “Why not visit the show ...on the way up to do the famous North Coast 500”.

Can you imagine? Possibly an aptly named route with 500 motorhomes heading for it!

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

timsinc Sinclair

I agree. It's sad that there are becoming fewer and fewer places in
our crowded island to explore and pitch up on for beauty and quiet.
Ireland not quite so bad - yet. Otherwise we must brexit to less
crowded parts of Europe. Even then....

Blame our parents! Multitudes of us of the post-war baby boom - having
cashed in on decades of rising property prices, easy loans, no uni
fees and even probably hard work - are now buying our retirement
reward. That for us is travel to different horizons in our homes on
wheels.

Prime example, TimS (heading for Burgos, Spain, tomorrow)

wrote:

I see Warner are introducing a new Motorhome show at The Royal Highland
Centre, Edinburgh in July. The promotional blurb includes “Why not visit
the show ...on the way up to do the famous North Coast 500”.

Can you imagine? Possibly an aptly named route with 500 motorhomes
heading
for it!

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Nick

Although I have "done" the 500 twice in the last 3 years, first time in the van and the second on my motorbike, I must agree it's not exactly like being in the wilderness. With the show being held in July I should imagine it will be a nightmare. Has anyone tried going round in the midst of winter?

Nick.

Bennett Family

We covered quite a bit of the NC500 before it was named that and when other vehicles were a rarity. Usually in June & once in late August.

We went through the Cairngorms
and as far as Inverness in November 3 or 4 years ago. Snow in the higher areas  but no problems - we would have gone further north but ran out of time.

I quite fancy a Winter trip there but not this year - too busy.

Martin

On 12 Jan 2020, at 11:19, Nick via Groups.Io <nickoff2@...> wrote:

Although I have "done" the 500 twice in the last 3 years, first time in the van and the second on my motorbike, I must agree it's not exactly like being in the wilderness. With the show being held in July I should imagine it will be a nightmare. Has anyone tried going round in the midst of winter?

Nick.

Carol Weaver

I have but in a car mainly to visit old friends but once there they drove and didn’t see any problems. The Facebook page Scottish Wildcamping (there are two it’s the one with over 25k members has a map with spots for wildcamping emptying loos etc

Great site with members who live up their. They do hold meetings too. Well worth joining

Carol

On 12 Jan 2020, at 11:19, Nick via Groups.Io <nickoff2=hotmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Although I have "done" the 500 twice in the last 3 years, first time in the van and the second on my motorbike, I must agree it's not exactly like being in the wilderness. With the show being held in July I should imagine it will be a nightmare. Has anyone tried going round in the midst of winter?

Nick.

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Alan Morris

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 at 12:49, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

The Facebook page Scottish Wildcamping (there are two it’s the one with over 25k members has a map with spots for wildcamping emptying loos etc

https://www.facebook.com/groups/246972858789245/?ref=share

Great site with members who live up their. They do hold meetings too. Well worth joining
Thanks Carol, but I see this:-

"Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment

The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be
visible to an audience that you aren't in."

Alan

Peter S

Just catching up.Link is working for me at the moment.

Peter S

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 at 20:30, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

Just catching up.Link is working for me at the moment.
Peter I guess that, "Page may only be visible to an audience that you
aren't in." is my problem.

Alan.

Stephen Daly

DO NOT DO IT. Scotland is being trashed by irresponsible and numerous visitors.