Sat Navs


Brent
 

It seems such a nightmare out there with all the different types TomTom, Garmin etc. So just to chuck another spanner into the mix has anybody purchased one of these (Igo is it?) Trucker sat navs advertised on that famous auction web site please?
They start from as little as about £35, at the end of the day we just need to get from a to b with no frills, bells or whistles attached!!!! At that sort of money you could buy 10 for the price of a TomTom or Garmin but do they really work please? Opinions greatly received thanks


Carol Weaver
 

Roy Coldrick bought one years ago perhaps he will be able to commment

Carol

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 07:58, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
It seems such a nightmare out there with all the different types TomTom, Garmin etc. So just to chuck another spanner into the mix has anybody purchased one of these (Igo is it?) Trucker sat navs advertised on that famous auction web site please?
They start from as little as about £35, at the end of the day we just need to get from a to b with no frills, bells or whistles attached!!!! At that sort of money you could buy 10 for the price of a TomTom or Garmin but do they really work please? Opinions greatly received thanks

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Roy Coldrick
 

Hi - yes Carol is right. I bought one of the Truck SatNav’s off eBay for very little money and , yes, it worked well. I gave it away when we sold our last big van.

The hardware of that unit was old and the software was even older but the IGO software was , in my view, better than most and is available separately, I think , to run on an IPad say. The only problem was that , despite the hood that came with it, the screen was almost unreadable when the sun was out. Obviously this was never a problem for us in Herefordshire but when we went further it was a problem.

Roy



Roy Coldrick
HOME 01989 566511
MOBILE   07479 082492
W3W  promise.resists.foreheads
 





On 22 Jul 2020, at 08:10, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:


Roy Coldrick bought one years ago perhaps he will be able to commment

Carol

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 07:58, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
It seems such a nightmare out there with all the different types TomTom, Garmin etc. So just to chuck another spanner into the mix has anybody purchased one of these (Igo is it?) Trucker sat navs advertised on that famous auction web site please?
They start from as little as about £35, at the end of the day we just need to get from a to b with no frills, bells or whistles attached!!!! At that sort of money you could buy 10 for the price of a TomTom or Garmin but do they really work please? Opinions greatly received thanks

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Brian Reay
 

I like the Garmins. 

We have one of the 'Camper' models in the Motorhome- you can pop in the vehicle size etc and it avoids low bridges, narrow roads etc. It isn't perfect, like all SatNavs it has 'quirks' but we find it better than the TomTom we used before.  

We also have a similar, simpler, model in the Smart Car we tow. 

One major attraction over the TomTom is the update procedure. Both have the option of sticking your Wifi details into the units and you just press a few buttons and leave it to do the update. Not only is it FAR quicker than the TomTom (even with very fast Internet, our TomToms took AGES to update and I dreaded doing it). The Garmins do it quickly and without any stress.  

Both of ours came with 'life time' updates (several years in real terms I suspect). They aren't the cheapest- I think the Camper version was several hundred pounds but a map  update for our main car (a Mitsubsishi) cost £100+ so that puts the overall cost in perspective.

Brian


timsinc Sinclair
 

On 28/07/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io <g8osn=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
One major attraction over the TomTom is the update procedure. ...Not only is it [Garmin] FAR quicker than the
TomTom (even with very fast Internet, our TomToms took AGES to update
TomTom have very recently addressed that. It was down to the map size
- like western Europe (inc UK, Ireland) was 7/8gb. Now you can
download really much smaller maps, like only south-east England in
minutes. For now (Covid times) I have downloaded only all the separate
maps for the UK. Took about 20 minutes using only 4g data connection.

Tim


Bennett Family
 

Tim,

I might try that as my old ToMTom Truck (700?) is no longer supported and with the European maps loaded it locks up if you ever go off route. I’ve recently disconnected it and reverted to Garmin NuviCam (which doesn’t accept vehicle size) so I need to “keep alert” as others keep telling me!

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 15:36, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28/07/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io <g8osn=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
One major attraction over the TomTom is the update procedure. ...Not only is it [Garmin] FAR quicker than the
TomTom (even with very fast Internet, our TomToms took AGES to update
TomTom have very recently addressed that. It was down to the map size
- like western Europe (inc UK, Ireland) was 7/8gb. Now you can
download really much smaller maps, like only south-east England in
minutes. For now (Covid times) I have downloaded only all the separate
maps for the UK. Took about 20 minutes using only 4g data connection.

Tim



timsinc Sinclair
 

All you Garmin lovers, did you know that the US company - which
specializes in GPS technology not only for road use but also aviation,
marine, sport activities as well as wearable technology - has been
hacked resulting in data breaches and it going off line for about five
days?

https://www.reviewgeek.com/48805/garmins-recent-outage-revealed-gaping-holes-in-its-security-and-communication/

Tim


Carol Weaver
 

Thanks Tim for link. 😳

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 19:58, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
All you Garmin lovers, did you know that the US company - which
specializes in GPS technology not only for road use but also aviation,
marine, sport activities as well as wearable technology - has been
hacked resulting in data breaches and it going off line for about five
days?

https://www.reviewgeek.com/48805/garmins-recent-outage-revealed-gaping-holes-in-its-security-and-communication/

Tim



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Alan Morris
 

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 18:58, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

All you Garmin lovers, did you know that the US company .... has been
hacked resulting in data breaches and it going off line for about five
days?
Yes.

One reason, I won't be using their cloud BaseCamp replacement.

Alan.