Sat Nav TomTom

frankcurryuk

Further to the Garmin, I’ve just received this from TomTom:

Your TomTom VIA 135 is worth £110

Lockdowns are easing up, bringing the possibility closer to get away somewhere.

It's perhaps the perfect time to prepare for a new road trip. We'd like to offer you, as TomTom customer, a discount of up to £110 on our latest models with LIVE traffic, easy updates via Wi-Fi®, map updates, all included!

Cheers, Frank

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Avast logo

Brent

Thought I'd replied to this earlier!!?

Frank wrote:

Further to the Garmin, I’ve just received this from TomTom:

Your TomTom XXXX XXX is worth £110

Lockdowns are easing up, bringing the possibility closer to get away somewhere.

It's perhaps the perfect time to prepare for a new road trip. We'd like to offer you, as TomTom customer, a discount of up to £110 on our latest models with LIVE traffic, easy updates via Wi-Fi®, map updates, all included!

Cheers, Frank

I've also received this email 2 or 3 times but when I go to the "offer" it's only on one model - not across the whole range and their "trade-in" decreases on other models

Also haven't seen where you can apply it to a camper version of TomTom!!

Take care

Alan Morris

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 11:33, Brent <brentiow.c@gmail.com> wrote:

I've also received this email 2 or 3 times but when I go to the "offer" it's only on one model - not across the whole range and their "trade-in" decreases on other models

Also haven't seen where you can apply it to a camper version of TomTom!!
After so many months of folk not buying a new SatNav/GPSr, they are
all keen to clear out their old stock. So discounts on old designs
and not their current top-of-the-range or new releases not yet
available - Garmin Camper 890, 8-inch camper navigator with Live
Traffic. Available 3rd Quarter 2020. Potentially the best buy for
the average motorhomer!

Buying an old device has drawbacks. Maps don't show new roads and are
slow to display, thus missing a turn. Also very old devices might not
continue to work. The GPS system works on a week number base system,
much like a car's speedo mileage display. When it reaches full house,
it starts again at zero, then old ones stop working.and/or display the
wrong date.

Cheaper ones have a poor receiver compared to newer ones, so less
accurate and loss of fixes in towns and under trees.

Alan.

My interpretations:-
SatNav: a device to get from where you are to point B, by any route.
GPSr: a device to get from anywhere (point A) to anywhere (point
B), by your selected route type and full control of waypoints/POIs,
with route planning on some.

timsinc Sinclair

You're the expert, Alan, but I do question..........
Buying an old device has drawbacks. Maps don't show new roads and are
slow to display, thus missing a turn.
Even the last year's models advertised at a discount do have automatic
map updates.

Cheaper ones have a poor receiver compared to newer ones, so less
accurate and loss of fixes in towns and under trees.
That's why I use my phone with the relevant nav app rather than a
standalone GPS device - far more powerful and with constant (sometimes
annoying) app updates. Not only that, its gps receiver must be better
- it gets signal indoors, so long as somewhere near a window. Trees
and city buildings never been a problem.

Tim