Route planning

Richard

Whilst I use a sat-nav to find my way around a country I have always
used Microsoft Autoroute (2010) to do my initial planning. I can quickly
and easily  click on multiple locations and build a basic route with
information of the distance between each. Based on that and my initial
reason for picking any stop, I can add 1 or more overnight stops at any
location. I finally end up with a route with times and distances.
I wonder if this 11 year old product is the best today. I have looked at
a few options available on the web but have not been impressed. Either I
reach the limit of the stops available, or have difficulty recovering a
route or just generally find the program lacking.
Any suggestions for a change?
Richard

Nigel Owen

I would suggest taking out a basic subscription for MyRoute-app

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/home

Have been using this for the past three or four years and works well for us.

Nigel.

On 04/05/2021 12:06, Richard wrote:
Whilst I use a sat-nav to find my way around a country I have always
used Microsoft Autoroute (2010) to do my initial planning. I can quickly
and easily  click on multiple locations and build a basic route with
information of the distance between each. Based on that and my initial
reason for picking any stop, I can add 1 or more overnight stops at any
location. I finally end up with a route with times and distances.
I wonder if this 11 year old product is the best today. I have looked at
a few options available on the web but have not been impressed. Either I
reach the limit of the stops available, or have difficulty recovering a
route or just generally find the program lacking.
Any suggestions for a change?
Richard

Peter S

I still use Autoroute 2007 in the same way. Whilst some roads have changed it still gives a good enough job for the purpose of planning and I have felt no need to move to something else. Any road changes are, I feel, probably only going to make marginal differences to times and distances.

Peter S

On 04/05/2021 12:06:53, Richard via groups.io <edelec@...> wrote:

Whilst I use a sat-nav to find my way around a country I have always
used Microsoft Autoroute (2010) to do my initial planning. I can quickly
and easily  click on multiple locations and build a basic route with
information of the distance between each. Based on that and my initial
reason for picking any stop, I can add 1 or more overnight stops at any
location. I finally end up with a route with times and distances.
I wonder if this 11 year old product is the best today. I have looked at
a few options available on the web but have not been impressed. Either I
reach the limit of the stops available, or have difficulty recovering a
route or just generally find the program lacking.
Any suggestions for a change?
Richard

yorkcov

I also still use Autoroute. It has the additional advantage that you can import a route from the same spreadsheet as you import to a Garmin satnav

On 4 May 2021 12:26:06 BST, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
[...]

I totally agree with your comments and alans, actually I would like to stay with AR as I am happy with it and have loads of POI's within my system, however it will not load to my (W10 64bit) laptop only to my desktop (W10 64bit)! I get an activation error before even being asked for the code. I have looked at Nigel's suggestion of Myrouteapp and it certainly ticks most of the boxes. I will continue with the trial and see how it goes.
Richard

On 04/05/2021 12:26, Peter S wrote:
[...]

Ernest Bull

On 4 May 2021, at 12:06, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:

Any suggestions for a change?

I always used ViaMichillin. Don’t know about stop-offs though.

______

Try installing/running in compatability mode.

Peter S

On 04/05/2021 14:12:53, Richard via groups.io <edelec@...> wrote:

[...]

Clive Bailey

Try ITNconv from Benichou software.

Big choice of maps and route providers and it will convert any POI file type to any other.

I still use Autoroute because you can upload any number of POI files and show them separately or all together

Clive

On 04/05/
On 04 May 2021 at 12:06 Richard <edelec@gmx.com> wrote:

Whilst I use a sat-nav to find my way around a country I have always
used Microsoft Autoroute (2010) to do my initial planning. I can quickly
and easily  click on multiple locations and build a basic route with
information of the distance between each. Based on that and my initial
reason for picking any stop, I can add 1 or more overnight stops at any
location. I finally end up with a route with times and distances.
I wonder if this 11 year old product is the best today. I have looked at
a few options available on the web but have not been impressed. Either I
reach the limit of the stops available, or have difficulty recovering a
route or just generally find the program lacking.
Any suggestions for a change?
Richard

Phillip

I also continue to use Autoroute. If it will not install onto a PC (laptop or desktop) which nevertheless is Windows 10 compatible then Microsoft Windows C++ 2005 or later needs to be updated. You can do this before you attempt to install or in the absence of doing this, Autoroute will demand that you update before it fully installs. I have a fully operative, 2013 copy of Autoroute and it requires no input of a serial number before installing but will demand the C++ update. The serial number from your functioning copy of Autoroute will suffice for any PC that later has it installed on it.

Contact me if I can help in any other way.

Phillip Vowles