Rapido Camera Swap / Upgrade

Brian Reay

We have a Rapido A class, specifically an 883F. It came with an excellent reversing camera which, while you can engage it manually, is obviously set to look into the area immediately behind the vehicle.

As we generally tow a trailer, it is useful to check we’ve not lost the Smart car etc, but hopeless as a rear view camera.

There is a dual Rapido Camera on some models- it has a reversing camera and one which gives a rear view.

Has anyone on the group done an upgrade and can offer any tips/advice please?

I am also looking at a camera on the trailer with a radio link, plus one one the vehicle for when we aren’t towing, but using the existing mount etc would be a much neater solution.

The current Rapido Camera feeds into the Kenwood stereo but the camera does not appear to be made by Kenwood.

Thank You
Brian

Bennett Family

I have a dual camera on my Carthago and have not found the rear view option that much use. The position of the screen is not ideal & my wing mirrors are excellent so I rarely use it.

Of far more use on my previous vans was sound from the rear camera when reversing. Hearing voices of people walking behind or hearing someone say STOP is very useful indeed.

So I wouldn’t bother - your existing camera shows that the Smart is still attached and that’s more or less all you’ll know with the dual lens.

Martin Bennett

On 26 Jul 2019, at 12:54, Brian Reay via Groups.Io <g8osn@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter S

I had a dual lens camera on my last van and also found the 2nd lens a  bit redundant. If the camera body was adjusted so you could just see the rear bumper then the second lens could only see a relatively short way down the road. Adjusting so you could see further meant that the bumper went out of view. What you need is lenses that can be adjusted individually.

Peter S
[...]

Wasn't certain they existed but:-

http://www.2seetv.co.uk/sellerdeck/Twin-Lens-Rear-View-Reversing-Camera-RC5011TW.html

There are probably more.

Peter S

On 26/07/2019 15:16:40, Peter S via Groups.Io <pstallwood@...> wrote:

[...]

When designing my Land Rover based motorhome, built in 2005, I decided on a display with two inputs for two cameras.  One looked back, like a rear-view internal mirror.  The other looked down for reversing.  As Martin mentioned, sound for reversion is desirable,  I'd say mandatory, the way idiots with supermarket trolleys just ignore any moving vehicle.  Mirrors just can't always see these speeding trolleys.  I had sound on for look down and off for the other.

My display could auto-switch between cameras by using, as an example, a connection to the revering light circuit.  However, in practice the slight delay in switching and the ability to quickly switch manually between the two when reversing, was much better.  The look down had a narrow field of view compared with the other camera.

The current Hymer has only one camera.  When selecting reverse, the console display always switches to camera.  Fortunately, there is a dash push switch that can turn on the camera at any time.

In heavy traffic, I often select the camera (which looses GPS map).  Some drivers get so close, that door mounted mirrors can't see a small narrow car.  If one gets too close, I increase the length of my safety zone between me and the vehicle in front, to allow for a less rapid braking if needed.

Alan.