Topics

Purchases from the EU

Alan Morris

I recently posted about the increased costs being experienced by those
purchasing goods from the EU.

MoneySavingExpert.com has now added a page giving more details:-

<https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/buying-online-from-europe-post-brexit/>

Best to be aware of the changed situation.

Interesting exercise for anyone buying motorhome at Dusseldorf show -
or 2nd hand one from any dealer in EU.

"Buy British" the Boris way to make - using Trump-like slogan -
Britain great again?

TimS

On 24/02/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
I recently posted about the increased costs being experienced by those
purchasing goods from the EU.

MoneySavingExpert.com has now added a page giving more details:-

<https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/buying-online-from-europe-post-brexit/>

Best to be aware of the changed situation.

Buying abroad you generally drive it home yourself - we have three times.

You pay tax at home (sometimes there and claim back) so apart from euro rate I don’t see a problem

Carol

charlie.green@...

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 06:04 PM, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
"Buy British" the Boris way to make - using Trump-like slogan -
Britain great again?
It already been done. Those of us of a certain age will know doubt remember the 'I'm backing Britain' Campaign of 1968

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Backing_Britain

Alan Morris

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 18:32, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

Buying abroad you generally drive it home yourself - we have three times.

You pay tax at home (sometimes there and claim back) so apart from euro rate I don’t see a problem
That was before we left the EU, now a new set of 'rules', some as yet
not fully understood by traders and public alike.

I think folk here need to be advised to be cautious when making
purchases from the EU, so that they are not caught out. Have a read
here:

<https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-9189227/How-avoid-new-import-fees-delivery-charges-buying-EU.html>

Importing a vehicle could result in much larger surprise costs. See here:-

<https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty>

Note the last word in that URL - duty.

Alan yes they need to read it as I get moneysavingexpert email and if anyone doesn’t, I suggest you sign up for it. It’s free

But looking quickly through vehicle import link it seems to be same as when we did it just over three years ago. I see no change there

Having said that, insuring it to drive back from France. In our case, was fraught with difficulty but I did solve it

Carol

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 21:25, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 18:32, Carol Weaver <

Importing a vehicle could result in much larger surprise costs.  See here:-

<https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty>

Note the last word in that URL - duty.

Ernest Bull

On 24 Feb 2021, at 21:41, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

But looking quickly through vehicle import link it seems to be same as when we did it just over three years ago. I see no change there

What about VAT? Do you still get the EU VAT back when you pay the UK one?

At least they have knocked off those punitive VED rates for motorhomes costing more than £40K.

OTOH, how about the EU extended warranty?

I am so glad that we got the European bug out of our systems before Brexit. Especially since Covid.
—————

Ernie. We didn’t pay it in EU so no claim back. But it was not since we left. But don’t think that will change.

Warranty again another anomaly I expect. Ours must be still covered.

Carol