Problem With Seitz Window

Mick Potter

I have a problem with the Seitz window fitted to the sliding door on my Adria MaxiVan panel van.  There is an aluminium strip on the top of the window, and another attached to the van: they have 'C' shaped crossections: they link together to form the hinge.

The top corners crack off, about 1 or 2 inches from the window edge; I have repaired them several times, not very successfully.  I think that the cracking is caused by the window moving along on the hinge until the plastic part at the end of the comes to the hinge - the pressure on closing the window then cracks the window corner off.

As the window is on the sliding door, and above the cooker, it is the one that is subject to most vibration and use.

Is this a common problem?  Does anyone have a 'fix'?  I have considered a 'pin and slot' modification to stop the window moving sideways on the hinge.  Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

TIA

Mick

timsinc Sinclair

Afraid Mick I can''t help with a Seitz fix but can report a similar
kind of problem with the large Dometic window in my sliding door. Its
plastic frame has cracked in a shallow u-shape in bottom centre where
the blind catch is. Glued it up twice now.

No problem with exactly same window in wall opposite. It's obvious the
strong vibration when opening and shutting the door (sometimes with a
bang!) is the cause.

I was told by a camper dealer that VW stipulate, or at least strongly
recommend, that "caravan" type windows not be used in the sliding
door. VW's own Transporter doors that have windows are the smaller,
stronger, sliding kind.

Seems we're stuck with design fault.

Tim

On 09/05/2020, Mick Potter <mickpotter@zepler.org> wrote:
[...]

Neill King \(MH-List\)

It’s the jerk and slam that does it on a sliding door, wrong spec window really. That said I think adding limit stops would work well, you might be surprised how substantial they may need to be though and probably one needed each end, ideally unscrew-able so you can easily replace the pane if necessary.

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

[...]

Carol Weaver

Seem to recall something called STOPPI. I had book marked for that Murvi we still haven’t got.

Took me ages to find it;

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 11:02, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;) <yahoo@...> wrote:

[...]

I believe things like the Stopsy are good for reducing noise and also for introducing an alternative stop position.  But – the top-hung window movement problem is all to do with the sudden acceleration on open and even more so the very sudden deceleration at stop – so high G-forces are involved.  I think window slide stops are going to be best solution for the OP, not least because his window channel will now be somewhat worn and this means a smaller g-force will now result in the window slide.

[...]

Thanks all for the comments.

Carol, as Neill said, the Stopsy controls the door, not the sliding of the window along the door, but thanks for looking.

Tim, I think that Dometic and Seitz are the same company, so it sounds like we have problems caused by the same 'design fault'.

Neill, I think the idea of end stops might work, and I take your point about their needing to be substantial.  The door needs quite a slam to close, and the window is quite large, and so has a lot of momentum.  I'm thinking of shortening the part on the pane, and putting one or two self tapping screws at each end of the part on the van, going through into the van.  I might give it a go when the cold winds subside.

Thanks again.

Bests,

Mick

M Stevenson

The problem with the sliding door as folks point out is the sudden stop when closing normally. Usually, it takes a good heave to make it slew round the track to latch properly.
I find that sliding the door to the start of the curve, then pushing in the BACK end will close it with very little force.
Perhaps there is a market for a stick on pad to prevent scratches.

Same inside, needs a handle at the rear end. I find I can close it with just two fingers in the blind frame. That's how little it needs to shut.

Try it once the window has been fixed to limit further damage.
Added bonus is, you don't disturb the neighbours with the usual whoosh-bang either.

Cheers
Max

Neill King \(MH-List\)

One tip given to me was to create a rubber bumper around the screws to minimise chipping & cracking – a but of rubber tube round the screw e.g.

[...]

Indeed, Max. Seem to remember your advice from before and what I've done since.

Tim