Parking to visit Bath


Buff and Hugh
 

Does anyone have any advice, please, on where we can park a 6 metre motorhome either in Bath or nearby with a bus connection? I've checked that we are allowed to drive without charge in the Clean Air Zone, if necessary.

Hugh


Carol Weaver
 

Bath P&R by A4 there is a large lay-by opposite entrance that may be possible. Many stop there. Land down P&R is a definite possibility. 


Carol

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 18:27, Buff and Hugh via groups.io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone have any advice, please, on where we can park a 6 metre motorhome either in Bath or nearby with a bus connection? I've checked that we are allowed to drive without charge in the Clean Air Zone, if necessary.

Hugh

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Carol Weaver
 

Sorry Hugh we’ve stayed at the link I sent you

Carol

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 18:27, Buff and Hugh via groups.io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone have any advice, please, on where we can park a 6 metre motorhome either in Bath or nearby with a bus connection? I've checked that we are allowed to drive without charge in the Clean Air Zone, if necessary.

Hugh

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Carol Weaver
 

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 18:27, Buff and Hugh via groups.io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone have any advice, please, on where we can park a 6 metre motorhome either in Bath or nearby with a bus connection? I've checked that we are allowed to drive without charge in the Clean Air Zone, if necessary.

Hugh

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Tessa Brocklehurst
 

We've used the Lansdown P&R (free to park, pay for the bus). We were unexpectedly charged for driving through Bath in our motorhome (less than 3.5T) earlier in the year, it seems they had changed the rules. 
Tessa


Buff and Hugh
 

Thanks, Carol and Tessa, for your very helpful information. The Penn Hill CL and Lansdown P&R both look good.

When you say, Tessa, that you were charged for driving, was that because of the Clean Air Zone? Or are there other charges to watch out for?

Hugh


Tessa Brocklehurst
 

Clean air zone. Our daughter lives in Bath so my husband had checked some time before we went. So we were surprised (and a little annoyed) to get a letter after our visit, it seems they changed the rules just before it started. We now skirt round that area if in the MH.

Tessa


Andy Clarke
 

If your motorhome is a Motor Caravan, and Type approval is M1 on the V5C you shouldn't be charged.

Andy Clarke

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 08:47, Tessa Brocklehurst via groups.io <tessanct=onetel.com@groups.io> wrote:

Clean air zone. Our daughter lives in Bath so my husband had checked some time before we went. So we were surprised (and a little annoyed) to get a letter after our visit, it seems they changed the rules just before it started. We now skirt round that area if in the MH.

Tessa


Buff and Hugh
 

Thanks for the warning, Tessa. I'm sorry to hear that you got caught. The government website says that there should be no charge for our van in the Bath Clean Air Zone. So hopefully, we shall be OK. However, it's good to be reminded to keep up to date with the regulations.

Thanks, Andy. I shall check the V5C.

Hugh


frankcurryuk
 

We parked at the Lansdown P+R on Thursday. Buses into centre of Bath every 15 mins. Free for bus pass holders - £3.60 return otherwise.

Cheers

Frank

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Buff and Hugh
 

Thanks, Frank.

That's good to hear. Were the buses crowded?

Hugh


frankcurryuk
 

Hi Hugh
Yes, they were! Busy, busy place is Bath. We'll worth it, though. 

Cheers 
Frank 


Buff and Hugh
 

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM, Andy Clarke wrote:
If your motorhome is a Motor Caravan, and Type approval is M1 on the V5C you shouldn't be charged.
I've at last got round to checking the V5C.
"D.5: Body Type" says "MOTOR CARAVAN",
but "K: Type approval number" is blank.
Is this the "type approval" that you were referring to, Andy? Does it matter if it's blank? How would the type approval affect emissions?

(I've got thoroughly confused googling for information about type approval. I found one promising-looking government web page (What is Vehicle Type Approval? - Vehicle Certification Agency (vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk)) that says I'm not authorised to access the detailed information about category M, and another web page (Registration of motor vehicles from the UK to Cyprus | Parikiaki Cyprus and Cypriot News) that refers to "Vehicle of Category M1 (passenger vehicle with 8 passenger seats without the driver)", which doesn't seem relevant to our van where V5C says "S.1: Number of seats including driver 3". )


Andy Clarke
 

According to the information from Bath NES Council some motor caravans were being incorrectly charged for driving in the CAZ, they should not be charged if the V5C has the Type Approval as M1, the Type Approval classification is not related to emissions. 

If you have already checked your registration number at https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones, and it shows as no charge, then you don't need to worry.

My issue with Bath NES is that the CAZ is supposed to apply to goods vehicles, not private cars. Motor caravans are not goods vehicles so should not be charged, irrespective of what Type Approval is recorded on the V5C. Our Sprinter conversion is Type Approval N1 on the V5C, so is chargeable, even though it is recorded as a Motor Caravan.

I'm in the process of challenging this with Bath NES.

Andy Clarke

On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 at 17:26, Buff and Hugh via groups.io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM, Andy Clarke wrote:
If your motorhome is a Motor Caravan, and Type approval is M1 on the V5C you shouldn't be charged.
I've at last got round to checking the V5C.
"D.5: Body Type" says "MOTOR CARAVAN",
but "K: Type approval number" is blank.
Is this the "type approval" that you were referring to, Andy? Does it matter if it's blank? How would the type approval affect emissions?

(I've got thoroughly confused googling for information about type approval. I found one promising-looking government web page (What is Vehicle Type Approval? - Vehicle Certification Agency (vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk)) that says I'm not authorised to access the detailed information about category M, and another web page (Registration of motor vehicles from the UK to Cyprus | Parikiaki Cyprus and Cypriot News) that refers to "Vehicle of Category M1 (passenger vehicle with 8 passenger seats without the driver)", which doesn't seem relevant to our van where V5C says "S.1: Number of seats including driver 3". )


Alan Morris
 

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 at 13:46, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@gmail.com> wrote:


According to the information from Bath NES Council some motor caravans were being incorrectly charged for driving in the CAZ, they should not be charged if the V5C has the Type Approval as M1, the Type Approval classification is not related to emissions.
When this topic was first raised, I did some research on it.

It would appear that towns that have a CAZ, use different rules and do
not comply with a UK or national standard.

So how does a driver of a motorhome know if their MH is included or
not included, when they approach a CAZ sign?

The situation for Bath is even worse. Looking at their map it's not
possible to drive through Bath or the outer parts of Bath. If one is
able to park on the outskirts of Bath the only way out is to use the
same road one came in on.

Alan.