Topics

No need for international driving permit or GB stickers.

Bennett Family

 Thanks to these agreements, UK drivers who hold photocard licences will not need an international driving permit to drive in any of the 27 EU member states, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or Liechtenstein. UK drivers won’t need to display a GB sticker in most EU countries if their number plate has GB or GB with a Union Flag on it.

Although national restrictions are still in place, and people should not be travelling internationally unless for work or other legally permitted reasons, these new arrangements mean that Britons can easily drive in the EU for years to come”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-style-driving-licences-and-number-plates-mark-one-year-anniversary-of-brexit-as-eu-flag-is-removed?fbclid=IwAR3MhaWplYfDr1UgGLx65ikGIrVUq1FY804lNy4dpUCfMTBLvoenatFidPA

Cheers Martin. We have ENG on ours not EU or GB. Very few coming to UK ever have their F, D etc

Carol

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 22:29, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
 Thanks to these agreements, UK drivers who hold photocard licences will not need an international driving permit to drive in any of the 27 EU member states, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or Liechtenstein. UK drivers won’t need to display a GB sticker in most EU countries if their number plate has GB or GB with a Union Flag on it.

Although national restrictions are still in place, and people should not be travelling internationally unless for work or other legally permitted reasons, these new arrangements mean that Britons can easily drive in the EU for years to come”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-style-driving-licences-and-number-plates-mark-one-year-anniversary-of-brexit-as-eu-flag-is-removed?fbclid=IwAR3MhaWplYfDr1UgGLx65ikGIrVUq1FY804lNy4dpUCfMTBLvoenatFidPA

charlie.green@...

The devil is in the detail.

The operative words in the UK Gov Statement is you will note is 'most' not all EU Countries. So however positive the statement may want to sound about driving in the EU some Country's in the EU may not have signed up to this and we may still need International Driving Permits and GB Stickers.

Historically. whether EU citizens arriving here in the UK did or didn't have the correct number plate is an irrelevance now. The new rules will apply to them also.

Mick Potter

Charlie,

No. The statement says you don't need an IDP in any EU country. That's the important part. Having to use a GB sticker is hardly a major inconvenience.

However, I was stopped by Spanish police a few years ago as I had fitted an external temperature sensor over the GB part of my number plate. They insisted I removed it before continuing. I guess they were having a quiet day, but I now have several GB stickers on my 'van.

Mick

charlie.green@...

Mick,

You are quite correct, I realised after I posted that what I was wrote was not quite correct, just shows how easy it is to mis-interpret something. As I cannot edit the post I thought I'd leave it rather than delete the whole lot.

Charlie