New motorhomes over 3500kg

Andy Clarke

Has any member bought a brand new new motorhome since 1st August 2013 with a gross weight over 3500kg and where the CO2 emissions are included on the V5C?

I'd be very interested to know what VED (road tax) class it is.

I'm having a rather extended discussion with DVLA about motorhome VED rates and am being given conflicting information!

Andy Clarke

Carol Weaver

Not the answer you asked. But this concerned us in 2016/7 when we ordered the Dethleffs but it is only 3499cc. But as was over the I think £40k we were worried we would be clobbered.  No CO2 emissions were in the certificates at all. So we are classed at the dearer rate than over 3.5t

Carol

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 13:55, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:
Has any member bought a brand new new motorhome since 1st August 2013 with a gross weight over 3500kg and where the CO2 emissions are included on the V5C?

I'd be very interested to know what VED (road tax) class it is.

I'm having a rather extended discussion with DVLA about motorhome VED rates and am being given conflicting information!

Andy Clarke

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Brent

Hi Andy

Thought I'd replied to this but it didn't work so here goes again - sorry if double post!!

Purchased our Auto Trail Tracker LB Sept 2018. Log book details:

Type: Motor Caravan Taxation Class: Private HGV Revenue Weight: 4400 KG Gross Exhaust Emissions: This section from V.1 to V.5 are totally blank!!!? Tax Paid: £165.00p per year

Funnily enough we were/are thinking of replacing it but the salesman advised in buying their pre-registered m/h as a new one we would get "clobbered" with this £3500,00p registration fee plus some ridiculous tax class per year - so we may keep what we got!!!?

HTH but if more info needed give us a "shout"

Kind Regards ALL

Brent, sunny but with a chill IoW

Andy Clarke

Thanks for that Brent. No CO2 emissions recorded and Tax Class PHGV is what I'd expect.

Be interested to see if anyone has an over 3500kg motorhome with CO2 emissions recorded on the V5C

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 09:38, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
Hi Andy

Thought I'd replied to this but it didn't work so here goes again - sorry if double post!!

Purchased our Auto Trail Tracker LB Sept 2018. Log book details:

Type: Motor Caravan Taxation Class: Private HGV Revenue Weight: 4400 KG Gross Exhaust Emissions: This section from V.1 to V.5 are totally blank!!!? Tax Paid: £165.00p per year

Funnily enough we were/are thinking of replacing it but the salesman advised in buying their pre-registered m/h as a new one we would get "clobbered" with this £3500,00p registration fee plus some ridiculous tax class per year - so we may keep what we got!!!?

HTH but if more info needed give us a "shout"

Kind Regards ALL

Brent, sunny but with a chill IoW

kenny.macdougall

  My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV.Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

[...]

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

kenny.macdougall

Thanks,

2003 Fiat Ducato 600G, 6  berth

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

Andy Clarke

What make 600G? AutoRoller, Ci Carioca, or something else? Have you had it on a weighbridge?

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 11:05, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Andy,

2003 Fiat Ducato 600G, 6  berth

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

kenny.macdougall

Thanks Andy,

The model is a Sundance, not had her on a weighbridge yet.

Cheers

Kenny

Skye

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

Andy Clarke

I can't find any details for a Swift Sundance 600G, if it's similar to the 600S then the original gross weight was probably 3400kg so it's probably been up-plated. Cant think of any reason to take it over 3500kg except to get the cheaper VED. A potential drawback is that you need C1 on you licence to drive it.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 15:55, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Andy,

The model is a Sundance, not had her on a weighbridge yet.

Cheers

Kenny

Skye

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

kenny.macdougall

Thanks,

I hold a class 1 licence but the problem is my wife can only drive up to 3.5 t, as far as road tax goes it is disabled road tax. I would like to think it would be a paper excised to get her downrated.  Just like my one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133171324491?ViewItem=&item=133171324491

Kenny

Skye

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

calypso155

Hi Andy,

I have recently bought a Honda Insight gen1 and I am pretty sure that I am paying too much road tax on it. (£180 instead of £zero!)

Can you tell me if there is a specific DVLA department that deal with wrongly classified vehicles?

Cheers,

Steve V

Andy Clarke

Steve, I did have a couple of good contacts at DVLA but emails to them are now going unanswered so I'm dealing with their press department, which is proving rather unsatisfactory. You will just need to go through their customer services I'm afraid.

Andy Clarke

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 23:47 calypso155, <Steve-Varden@...> wrote:
Hi Andy,

I have recently bought a Honda Insight gen1 and I am pretty sure that I am paying too much road tax on it. (£180 instead of £zero!)

Can you tell me if there is a specific DVLA department that deal with wrongly classified vehicles?

Cheers,

Steve V

kenny.macdougall

Hi Andy,

Did you find any info on my van, like i say it is 3501 kg , like a bag of sugar over, would this be a paper exercise to get it changed to 3.5 t.

Regards

Kenny

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

kenny.macdougall

Hi Andy.

Another plate.

Regards

kenny

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

Andy Clarke

Kenny, see this page on the SVTech website:  http://www.svtech.co.uk/motor-home-downrates/ for full info.

As yours will be such a minor change it might be worth talking through the options with them:  01772 621800

Andy Clarke

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 13:01, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

Did you find any info on my van, like i say it is 3501 kg , like a bag of sugar over, would this be a paper exercise to get it changed to 3.5 t.

Regards

Kenny

3,5001 is a very odd figure, what model is it?

No problem to downrate, see http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You'll likely pay more VED (road tax) though.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:21, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy,

My camper says 3.5001 can i down rate it as my wife can only drive max 3.50,0  it says on the V5 private HGV. Any help will be appreciated.

kenny

Skye

Attachments:

Andy Clarke

Ah, that's the converter's plate, which overrides the manufacturers plate.

Your GVW is 3850kg and this is what should appear on the V5C against 'Revenue Weight'

Downplating fro 3850 to 3500 is quite a step, SVtech will want weighbridge tickets - see the info on the SVTech page I linked to.

Personally, I'd get it on a weighbridge first just to see what your starting point is.

Andy Clarke

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 13:04, kenny.macdougall via Groups.Io <kenny.macdougall=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy.

Another plate.