Topics

My first “Motorhome” - a Bedford Duple coach!

Bennett Family
 


50 years ago I returned from India as a driver of the Comex 3 Yorkshire coach and that started my long involvement with motorhomes. Seventeen vehicles and many thousands of pounds later I came across the link below.  Back in 1969, I would never have believed that I would have ever been able to watch a film of that first trip on a mobile phone but here it is:

Carol Weaver
 

Martin. I’ve just enjoyed watching this. I was in India in 1965 and South Korea in 1966.  It brought back my memories of that time.  I was on a BP Tanker both times so not there long. My one memory was seeing a young girl asleep on the ground with a little shift on but her naked body covered in flies!!! Eyes everywhere.  


I was in Bombay again in 1975/6 and not much had changed. I had gone to get some work I had subcontracted out but had had to take my young daughters and they both have their memories of begging children who had been maimed by their parents for begging and starving horses.  

Were you in the film?  

Thank you for sharing it    

Carol 

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 20:39, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

50 years ago I returned from India as a driver of the Comex 3 Yorkshire coach and that started my long involvement with motorhomes. Seventeen vehicles and many thousands of pounds later I came across the link below.  Back in 1969, I would never have believed that I would have ever been able to watch a film of that first trip on a mobile phone but here it is:

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Bennett Family
 

I didn’t spot myself but I was playing the guitar when the camera showed the fiddler playing Scarborough Fair. Also I was singing & playing Jug of Punch as part of the Yorkshire Folk Trio which was in the background at some stage. 

Travelling there over a 6 week period  meant we saw gradual changes so it was not so much of a culture shock as flying in or arriving by ship. 

Martin 

On 14 Oct 2019, at 09:28, Carol Weaver via Groups.Io <corconx@...> wrote:

Martin. I’ve just enjoyed watching this. I was in India in 1965 and South Korea in 1966.  It brought back my memories of that time.  I was on a BP Tanker both times so not there long. My one memory was seeing a young girl asleep on the ground with a little shift on but her naked body covered in flies!!! Eyes everywhere.  


I was in Bombay again in 1975/6 and not much had changed. I had gone to get some work I had subcontracted out but had had to take my young daughters and they both have their memories of begging children who had been maimed by their parents for begging and starving horses.  

Were you in the film?  

Thank you for sharing it    

Carol 

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 20:39, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

50 years ago I returned from India as a driver of the Comex 3 Yorkshire coach and that started my long involvement with motorhomes. Seventeen vehicles and many thousands of pounds later I came across the link below.  Back in 1969, I would never have believed that I would have ever been able to watch a film of that first trip on a mobile phone but here it is:

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Steve Pyke
 

Hi Martin,

That got the grey cells working and I remember in the early 60's meeting a coach in Kingston upon Thames where I was bought up that had just returned from India. 

Lo and behold it must have been one of the earliest Indiaman trips which Paddy Garrow-Fisher organised. I think my dad knew him.

Isn't it amazing how the internet can come up with such detailed history!

We are on our last day of a fortnight in Rhodes -  pleasantly warm and sunny and I've swam in the sea for the first time in many many years. We flew out but it's amazing how many of our friends asked if we would be taking our motorhome (even when we went to Madeira a couple of years ago)

We have come across four German vans touring over here including a Carthago and a Weinsberg Caracompact. I should think the ferries would be pricey.

Steve

timsinc Sinclair
 

I wonder how many others of the large group ended up as motorhomers or
at least explorers/adventurers. Do you have reunions?

Tim

On 14/10/2019, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
I didn’t spot myself but I was playing the guitar when the camera showed the
fiddler playing Scarborough Fair. Also I was singing & playing Jug of Punch
as part of the Yorkshire Folk Trio which was in the background at some
stage.

Travelling there over a 6 week period meant we saw gradual changes so it
was not so much of a culture shock as flying in or arriving by ship.

Martin

On 14 Oct 2019, at 09:28, Carol Weaver via Groups.Io
<corconx=gmail.com@groups.io<mailto:corconx=gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:

Martin. I’ve just enjoyed watching this. I was in India in 1965 and South
Korea in 1966. It brought back my memories of that time. I was on a BP
Tanker both times so not there long. My one memory was seeing a young girl
asleep on the ground with a little shift on but her naked body covered in
flies!!! Eyes everywhere.


I was in Bombay again in 1975/6 and not much had changed. I had gone to get
some work I had subcontracted out but had had to take my young daughters and
they both have their memories of begging children who had been maimed by
their parents for begging and starving horses.

Were you in the film?

Thank you for sharing it

Carol

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 20:39, Bennett Family
<martin@...<mailto:martin@...>> wrote:

50 years ago I returned from India as a driver of the Comex 3 Yorkshire
coach and that started my long involvement with motorhomes. Seventeen
vehicles and many thousands of pounds later I came across the link below.
Back in 1969, I would never have believed that I would have ever been able
to watch a film of that first trip on a mobile phone but here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZJYeU_Xc8&feature=share#fauxfullscreen

Martin

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|.
www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel<http://www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel>
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please




--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Bennett Family
 

Tim,

There was a  50 year reunion last weekend in London but I did not attend. Those that did say it was good. 
I’ve kept in regular contact with about 8 of the Yorkshire contingent and 6 or 7 more occasionally. 
At least 3 of us are motorhomers and that includes Stephen Stewart a leading light in the Silk Route Network. He’s shipped his expedition vehicle round the world. His web page is well worth an explore.


His site also includes our diary & photos


When we returned we put on a show at the Royal Albert Hall. I went to an event there a couple of weeks ago and it seemed odd that as a 22 year old I’d driven a bus to India & back, appeared in front of 10,000 people in New Delhi, appeared in both India & Pakistani TV and then appeared on stage singing at the Royal Albert Hall. It’s amazing what confidence you have at that age - I never gave it a second thought. 

I also remember driving the bus to London 2 or 3 times, parking somewhere near Old Brompton Road and sleeping in it. 

It was a great experience and I’ve always fancied repeating it, but have never had the right vehicle, the right political situation or the time. I do realise that these are all excuses - people do similar journeys every year eg Andy. We have made it as far as Turkey ...... but there’s still time!

Martin 

On 15 Oct 2019, at 17:21, timsinc Sinclair via Groups.Io <timsinc@...> wrote:

I wonder how many others of the large group ended up as motorhomers or
at least explorers/adventurers. Do you have reunions?

Tim

On 14/10/2019, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
I didn’t spot myself but I was playing the guitar when the camera showed the
fiddler playing Scarborough Fair. Also I was singing & playing Jug of Punch
as part of the Yorkshire Folk Trio which was in the background at some
stage.

Travelling there over a 6 week period  meant we saw gradual changes so it
was not so much of a culture shock as flying in or arriving by ship.

Martin

On 14 Oct 2019, at 09:28, Carol Weaver via Groups.Io
<corconx@...<mailto:corconx@...>> wrote:

Martin. I’ve just enjoyed watching this. I was in India in 1965 and South
Korea in 1966.  It brought back my memories of that time.  I was on a BP
Tanker both times so not there long. My one memory was seeing a young girl
asleep on the ground with a little shift on but her naked body covered in
flies!!! Eyes everywhere.


I was in Bombay again in 1975/6 and not much had changed. I had gone to get
some work I had subcontracted out but had had to take my young daughters and
they both have their memories of begging children who had been maimed by
their parents for begging and starving horses.

Were you in the film?

Thank you for sharing it

Carol

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 20:39, Bennett Family
<martin@...<mailto:martin@...>> wrote:

50 years ago I returned from India as a driver of the Comex 3 Yorkshire
coach and that started my long involvement with motorhomes. Seventeen
vehicles and many thousands of pounds later I came across the link below.
Back in 1969, I would never have believed that I would have ever been able
to watch a film of that first trip on a mobile phone but here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZJYeU_Xc8&feature=share#fauxfullscreen

Martin

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|.
www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel<http://www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel>
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please







--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*