Topics

Move from Yahoo to Groups.io

calypso155
 

Can anyone tell me if there was/is a cost involved in moving the motorhome-list Move Yahoo to Groups.io?

Yahoo groups is being shutdown at the end of this month and a few of my other Y-group moderators are saying that it will cost $120 per year to host on Groups.io!

Cheers,
 
Steve V

Peter S
 

Have a look here:-

https://groups.io/yahootransfer

When we transferred the old posts were left on Yahoo so we didn't have to pay anything if we wanted them we would have had to pay. It looks like they may have changed the system and will charge  for the first year but you can then downgrade to free if the free version is adequate for your needs. You really need to go through all the info at Groups.io to see what the exact situation is.

I think I transferred the files and photos myself by downloading from Yahoo and then uploading to Groups.io but can't remember exactly now. 

I will have a look to see if we can get the old posts transferred but they are really only of historical interest now I think.  Has anybody logged onto Yahoo Groups since we moved?

Peter S
Group Owner

On 20/10/2019 13:38:51, calypso155 <steve-varden@...> wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there was/is a cost involved in moving the motorhome-list Move Yahoo to Groups.io?

Yahoo groups is being shutdown at the end of this month and a few of my other Y-group moderators are saying that it will cost $120 per year to host on Groups.io!

Cheers,
 
Steve V

Virus-free. www.avg.com

timsinc Sinclair
 

Well it didn't cost a penny when I followed and transferred the OT
list from Yahoo to groupsio - but then maybe it was to attract custom
in the early days. I'm afraid I wasn't as diligent as you, Peter, and
ignored all the old posts on Yahoo. Not really as so important because
mainly opinions rather than facts for future reference.

Ern did try to find some old postings at one stage. Maybe he'll chip in.

TimS

On 20/10/2019, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
Have a look here:-

https://groups.io/yahootransfer

When we transferred the old posts were left on Yahoo so we didn't have to
pay anything if we wanted them we would have had to pay. It looks like they
may have changed the system and will charge for the first year but you can
then downgrade to free if the free version is adequate for your needs. You
really need to go through all the info at Groups.io to see what the exact
situation is.

I think I transferred the files and photos myself by downloading from Yahoo
and then uploading to Groups.io but can't remember exactly now.

I will have a look to see if we can get the old posts transferred but they
are really only of historical interest now I think. Has anybody logged onto
Yahoo Groups since we moved?

Peter S
Group Owner

On 20/10/2019 13:38:51, calypso155 <steve-varden@...> wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there was/is a cost involved in moving the
motorhome-list Move Yahoo to Groups.io?

Yahoo groups is being shutdown at the end of this month and a few of my
other Y-group moderators are saying that it will cost $120 per year to host
on Groups.io!


Cheers,

Steve V


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com



--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Mervyn Pickard
 

Have you thought of moving / setting up the group on Facebook?  

 

 

timsinc Sinclair
 

On 21/10/2019, Mervyn Pickard <mervyn@...> wrote:
Have you thought of moving / setting up the group on Facebook?
Facebook has its attractions - like easy to post and see photos - and
a possible wider audience. But I sense that folk here - and on the OT
list - prefer the more intimate feel of our groups, where it's almost
like we all know one another.

Plus, writing a post at any length (long can be required for certain
topics) is not handled so well by FB. Or so readable.

Just my take, while being also a member of some m-home FB groups, such
as the SearchForSites one.

TimS

Carol Weaver
 


Use Facebook but hate it. Difficult to find things you saw a few minutes ago. As Tim says these groups are far better every time

Carol


On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 09:50, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
On 21/10/2019, Mervyn Pickard <mervyn@...> wrote:
> Have you thought of moving / setting up the group on Facebook?
>
Facebook has its attractions - like easy to post and see photos - and
a possible wider audience. But I sense that folk here - and on the OT
list - prefer the more intimate feel of our groups, where it's almost
like we all know one another.

Plus, writing a post at any length (long can be required for certain
topics) is not handled so well by FB. Or so readable.

Just my take, while being also a member of some m-home FB groups, such
as the SearchForSites one.

TimS



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Alan Morris
 

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 07:50, Mervyn Pickard <mervyn@...> wrote:

> Have you thought of moving / setting up the group on Facebook?  

If the group moves to FB, then I will not be moving.

A few years ago, I became the chairman of a group of people, who met in person on a regular basis for events.  I inherited control of the group's FB account that I'd never used.  I then began to receive requests to join from folk who had no connection with the group or it's interest, so they were rejected.  After a while I discovered that the majority of FB members, where not even connected with the group!

Alan.

PS: 😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😉😊😋😎😍😘😗😙😚☺🙂🤗😇🤔😐😑😶😈👹👺💀💩👽🙈🙉👴🙇🙌🚶🏃💃💪🖐👎👎👎👎👎👣👁🎩

Ernest Bull
 

On 21 Oct 2019, at 09:50, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Facebook has its attractions - like easy to post and see photos ….

I’m glad that you think so, Tim. I find it totally baffling, and absolutely counter-intuitive. Almost as unfathomable as Twitter.
_______

ErnB

timsinc Sinclair
 

On 21/10/2019, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
On 21 Oct 2019, at 09:50, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Facebook has its attractions - like easy to post and see photos ….
I’m glad that you think so, Tim. I find it totally baffling, and absolutely
counter-intuitive. Almost as unfathomable as Twitter.
_______
Like Carol, I'm certainly no fan. But it has its uses - be they of the
instant-then-lose-it kind of messages. Maybe, Ern, you need a grandkid
to show you the how - although I gather it's now spurned by youngsters
as 'just for oldies'. !!

TimS

Carol Weaver
 

I know my grandchildren joined but left too. I gave up working out where they went. I hear from them when they want something!!

Carol

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 17:30, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
On 21/10/2019, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2019, at 09:50, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
>
>> Facebook has its attractions - like easy to post and see photos ….
>
> I’m glad that you think so, Tim. I find it totally baffling, and absolutely
> counter-intuitive. Almost as unfathomable as Twitter.
> _______

Like Carol, I'm certainly no fan. But it has its uses - be they of the
instant-then-lose-it kind of messages. Maybe, Ern, you need a grandkid
to show you the how - although I gather it's now spurned by youngsters
as 'just for oldies'. !!

TimS



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

timsinc Sinclair
 

Whatsapp (photos and text) is, when campervanning far and wide, how I
and off-spring (plus few friends and odd m-homer) communicate.

TimS

On 21/10/2019, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
I know my grandchildren joined but left too. I gave up working out where
they went. I hear from them when they want something!!

Carol

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 17:30, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

On 21/10/2019, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
On 21 Oct 2019, at 09:50, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Facebook has its attractions - like easy to post and see photos ….
I’m glad that you think so, Tim. I find it totally baffling, and
absolutely
counter-intuitive. Almost as unfathomable as Twitter.
_______
Like Carol, I'm certainly no fan. But it has its uses - be they of the
instant-then-lose-it kind of messages. Maybe, Ern, you need a grandkid
to show you the how - although I gather it's now spurned by youngsters
as 'just for oldies'. !!

TimS



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please



--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Alan Morris
 

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 16:46, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Whatsapp (photos and text) is, when campervanning far and wide, how I
and off-spring (plus few friends and odd m-homer) communicate.
What's wrong with normal e-mailing? Much easier!

When I want to e-mail selected friends/family, I've setup small
selections of e-mail addresses. To send in Gmail, I click on the To:
field and my contacts appear. In the drop down menu, I select the
named group of people I want to send to and they all appear in the To:
field.

So at Christmas time, I select my 'Xmas Letter' group and they all get
the letter.

Another caravan & camping group suggested using Whasapp.

It's major problem is that to receive a message one has to logon to
see it there are any messages. E-mails just arrive, with no extra
effort.


Alan.

Carol Weaver
 

We use WhatsApp too. You can set it up to make a sound or /and have an icon showing you there is a message. 

Mine prefer to use it 

Carol

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 18:17, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 16:46, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

> Whatsapp (photos and text) is, when campervanning far and wide, how I
> and off-spring (plus few friends and odd m-homer) communicate.

What's wrong with normal e-mailing?  Much easier!

When I want to e-mail selected friends/family, I've setup small
selections of e-mail addresses.  To send in Gmail, I click on the To:
field and my contacts appear.  In the drop down menu, I select the
named group of people I want to send to and they all appear in the To:
field.

So at Christmas time, I select my 'Xmas Letter' group and they all get
the letter.

Another caravan & camping group suggested using Whasapp.

It's major problem is that to receive a message one has to logon to
see it there are any messages.  E-mails just arrive, with no extra
effort.


Alan.



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

timsinc Sinclair
 

On 21/10/2019, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

What's wrong with normal e-mailing? Much easier!
Indeed. On my full-time camper travels I have a group of about 60
(family, friends some m-homers, including Carol !) who get my
'Travelogs' (when something to report/photo) by old-fashioned email.

With Whatsapp, my communication is more likely to be personal or
person-specfific. If a message, I get alert on my phone. On my Android
tablet I have 'Tablet Messenger' app that also accesses Whatsapp,
which is my usual way to use it.

TimS

PS, if any fascinated enough, happy to add your email address to my
round-robin Travelog email group.

calypso155
 

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. 

Steve V